Youth Day

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Anyone taking their kid(s) out today? If so lets see some pics even if you dont put a deer in the bed of the truck. Good luck!

mowbizz

Reaction score
My brother is taking out his grandson today…no news yet.

Reactions: JDK

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
We had fun this morning. My youngest at 8 was her first time and sat with me in a blind we set up last week and oldest at 13 sat with mom in my buddy’s hill side wood shack blind. My friend has 80 acres and invited us down. Up at 5, sitting at 10 past 6, breakfast at 9.

My my oldest and I saw a doe on our walk out on the gravel road. It was inside the wood line, by the time she saw it and tried to get it into the scope it walked off. It was exciting.

Attachments

Huntermc6

Reaction score
My brother is taking out his grandson today…no news yet.
Hope they get into them at least, keep us posted.

We had fun this morning. My youngest at 8 was her first time and sat with me in a blind we set up last week and oldest at 13 sat with mom in my buddy’s hill side wood shack blind. My friend has 80 acres and invited us down. Up at 5, sitting at 10 past 6, breakfast at 9.

My my oldest and I saw a doe on our walk out on the gravel road. It was inside the wood line, by the time she saw it and tried to get it into the scope it walked off. It was exciting.
That is an awesome way to get kids involved! I always think about how its going to be if I have kids and take them out and how much you have to change your hunting style to make it fun for them. No all day sits, no 10 mile hikes, no hunting in the rain etc. Would rather do whatever keeps them interested than to drive them away from the outdoors. Hope you guys have some more excotment this afternoon! Good luck.

groundtender

Reaction score
Excellent KC. Can’t wait till my grandson is old enough to learn about deer hunting just the way you did it. I admit I am guilty of overdoing it with my son.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Congratulations to both of you. I always like to see the young hunters filling their tags. Was that her first?

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Awesome posts -congrats to all that got out with kids!

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Was that her first?
Her fourth, and her second buck. At this point I’m basically along for the ride as she does it all herself with little to no coaching. She spotted this one, picked her opening, took the shot when she was ready, and found the deer herself. I’m kind of starting to feel like a field dresser for hire at this point!

Last edited:

Snowed

Reaction score
Hope they get into them at least, keep us posted.

That is an awesome way to get kids involved! I always think about how its going to be if I have kids and take them out and how much you have to change your hunting style to make it fun for them. No all day sits, no 10 mile hikes, no hunting in the rain etc. Would rather do whatever keeps them interested than to drive them away from the outdoors. Hope you guys have some more excotment this afternoon! Good luck.
I Love deer hunting more than anything I could ever do. However, once I started taking my daughters I could care less if I ever lug a gun again. It is an absolute blast and the conversations that take place in the blinds..... well let’s just say that it stays in the blind. They truly are my hunting partners. Last night in the blind was Halloween candy, Pepsi and laughing. We didn’t see anything but didn’t we laugh!!! ( I’m not sure why the deer didn’t participate in our evening :)

Huntermc6

Reaction score
We made it happen at 10:15 today.
This is fantastic! Congrats to you and your daughter on a successful hunt. It looked like a great day to be in the woods regardless o the outcome.

I Love deer hunting more than anything I could ever do. However, once I started taking my daughters I could care less if I ever lug a gun again. It is an absolute blast and the conversations that take place in the blinds..... well let’s just say that it stays in the blind. They truly are my hunting partners. Last night in the blind was Halloween candy, Pepsi and laughing. We didn’t see anything but didn’t we laugh!!! ( I’m not sure why the deer didn’t participate in our evening :)
That is great. If they continue to hunt when you and they get older it will probably just add to the fun. One of my favorite things about deer hunting is sitting around the table in the morning strategizing and cracking jokes with my father and anyone else who decides to tag along. I think the only reason my father still deer hunts and hasn't given it up for bird hunting is because of how passionate I am about it. I convinced him to do a lot of off season walking to stay in shape, got a 4-wheeler to help drag when it's possible to drive it to the deer,

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I've got a few pics to contribute too.

My daughter was really interested in youth deer this year, which was a little odd to me, but very exciting. She's typically only interested in chasing turks, but I didn't ask her twice...

We headed for camp and had some amazing youth weekend weather:

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
She woke up from that little nap, so I let down my guard a little. I had been sitting in a way that really cramped my legs so I could get a full view of the area we were watching. I moved my legs to stretch out, as she rubbed her eyes and commented on how she couldn't get her eyes to focus. With only one eye open she said, "oh, a deer". I just looked at her, doubting that in the 45 seconds since I had turned myself around, she actually saw something. Without either of us moving, she then said "Oh, it has horns" I whispered for her to tell me when the deer looked away so we could get the gun moved and aimed...she did it perfectly, but the buck had something on his mind and was quartering away from us hard. When she was ready, I made the all important bleat sound with my mouth, and just as the script reads, he stopped - with some beech whips in between. Chaos ensued for an eternity, with no ethical shot being lined up. She was disappointed but still in good spirits. We sat in spots that I hunted as a kid, where I tried to find something interesting other than wildlife, which I think she enjoyed, but without any luck:

Latest posts