Yah, I said Queen Elizabeth

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
queen-elizabeth-ii-hunting.jpg

I'm not sure if you even have an opinion on the Royal Family or whether you're a monarchist or an anti, but none of that matters to me. This isn't about any of that.

I'm posting this here to recognize her as a life long hunter, primarily at Balmoral. Reading recently about bits of her life, I knew that she was an avid outdoors woman, but I never realized her penchant for hunting, for both grouse and deer. One report from a british newspaper some years back started a flap when, she was seen breaking the neck of a bird in a humane gesture to terminate it. That made me laugh. She also raised hunting dogs and handled all sorts of firearms from the time she was a young girl.

So.....that's pretty much it. I am one who will miss her, for reasons I'll spare the readership. I only know she knew shizz from Shinola, which is pretty much a constant from the Greatest Generation.

Btw, yah it's real.
Back in 1993, she got to show off some of her shooting skills at an Army Rifle Association meeting in Bisley, Woking. A photograph from the event shows the Queen firing the last shot on a standard SA80 rifle under the supervision of her chief instructor, Corp. Lt. Col. George Harvey.

At the time the photo was taken, the Queen was already in her late 60s, but the truth is, she has been trained to handle firearms since the age of 14. In 2019, a Channel 4 documentary shed light on how the then-Princess Elizabeth was trained to fire a Tommy gun given to her by Winston Churchill in Buckingham Palace Gardens during the Second World War.

groundtender

Reaction score
queen-elizabeth-ii-hunting.jpg

I'm not sure if you even have an opinion on the Royal Family or whether you're a monarchist or an anti, but none of that matters to me. This isn't about any of that.

I'm posting this here to recognize her as a life long hunter, primarily at Balmoral. Reading recently about bits of her life, I knew that she was an avid outdoors woman, but I never realized her penchant for hunting, for both grouse and deer. One report from a british newspaper some years back started a flap when, she was seen breaking the neck of a bird in a humane gesture to terminate it. That made me laugh. She also raised hunting dogs and handled all sorts of firearms from the time she was a young girl.

So.....that's pretty much it. I am one who will miss her, for reasons I'll spare the readership. I only know she knew shizz from Shinola, which is pretty much a constant from the Greatest Generation.

Btw, yah it's real.
Back in 1993, she got to show off some of her shooting skills at an Army Rifle Association meeting in Bisley, Woking. A photograph from the event shows the Queen firing the last shot on a standard SA80 rifle under the supervision of her chief instructor, Corp. Lt. Col. George Harvey.

At the time the photo was taken, the Queen was already in her late 60s, but the truth is, she has been trained to handle firearms since the age of 14. In 2019, a Channel 4 documentary shed light on how the then-Princess Elizabeth was trained to fire a Tommy gun given to her by Winston Churchill in Buckingham Palace Gardens during the Second World War.
Excellent. I’m in agreement with you Dirigo. Great reading that

Nimrod

Reaction score
HA! I had no idea she was interested in the sports!?!

Being a patriot, I really don't pay much attention to royalty. Couldn't really care enough to even know their names, aside from hearing them mentioned on the news and whatnot...

I do think it is cool that she or anyone shares the same interests as we.

Thanks for posting!

mowbizz

Reaction score
HA! I had no idea she was interested in the sports!?!

Being a patriot, I really don't pay much attention to royalty. Couldn't really care enough to even know their names, aside from hearing them mentioned on the news and whatnot...

I do think it is cool that she or anyone shares the same interests as we.

Thanks for posting!
The “idle rich” usually like to shoot things…it’s nothing like we do but rather the animals are “arranged” for them and the step out of their carriage or limo and are coached as to how what to do. Kind of like a safari with professional guides. To me they are the most useless “adored” humans on earth. What ever happened to the idiot “royal” that was on pervert island many times along with slick willie? Nothing, of course. And Epstein didn’t kill himself.

groundtender

Reaction score
The “idle rich” usually like to shoot things…it’s nothing like we do but rather the animals are “arranged” for them and the step out of their carriage or limo and are coached as to how what to do. Kind of like a safari with professional guides. To me they are the most useless “adored” humans on earth. What ever happened to the idiot “royal” that was on pervert island many times along with slick willie? Nothing, of course. And Epstein didn’t kill himself.
That said MB, I get what you say, but at least the Queen was on our side of the carnivore attitude.

Nimrod

Reaction score
I think we could drink together!

Lol

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
I'm not going to stray from the original point of the post, nor allow it to get highjacked, but to dilute some of the stereotypical venom, perhaps a little education as to the differences that exist here in the U.S., vs. that in Europe, where there is no open public land either to target practice or hunt from. Hunting land in Europe is privately owned and state game wardens don't exist.
I think this vid, a little tedious in places, is pretty good in establishing a rational look at the comparative differences, I learned some things in watching it. Hopefully it's of interest.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
In the interest of peace and tranquillity perhaps this thread needs to go away like other political threads.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Hey brother. I cannot say I disagree if that's the outcome, but then, the individual shouting FIRE in the theatre wins right?
So then, new information and education falls victim.......until the next time the same disenfranchised perp decides to raise their ugly knot.

I'm not disagreeing per se, but it's giving a barking dog a reward.

We should measure who gets that censure wand.

Nimrod

Reaction score
I'm not going to stray from the original point of the post, nor allow it to get highjacked, but to dilute some of the stereotypical venom, perhaps a little education as to the differences that exist here in the U.S., vs. that in Europe, where there is no open public land either to target practice or hunt from. Hunting land in Europe is privately owned and state game wardens don't exist.
I think this vid, a little tedious in places, is pretty good in establishing a rational look at the comparative differences, I learned some things in watching it. Hopefully it's of interest.
That video mostly explains how we hunt and shoot freely here. It doesn't say much about Europe aside from, "we do this here but you can't do it there"!

Yeah, I get that. That's why I'm glad to be a Patriot.

I guess that even though I didn't inherit a crown, I was born wealthy after all?

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
That video would have been a lot more enjoyable if someone would have tied his hands down. Still, a worthy watch.

As far as "This thread should go away because its too political", I'd say its high time we had some thicker skin. I have yet to figure out why overreaction and vitriol about differences of opinion are so prevalent on hunting forums, but it really makes us look like petulant children. (Don't believe me? Say something negative about the .30-'06 or mention baiting and watch the tantrums erupt).

If someone mentions the Queen and why they thought well of her, its kinda par for the course that someone else will feel differently. It needn't be a reason to blow up and shut down a thread.

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
I live here in Cornwall UK which is very much a royalist area. I’m sorry to see that some of you guys find reason to dislike our royal family but of course we all have our different opinions on these things and that’s what makes for discussion in the first place.
I never got to meet the Queen in person unfortunately but my Grandmother did.
She came right past my doorstep for the G7 summit thing last year so we went outside and waved with the kids(we also waved at your president I might add, whatever you guys think about that 🤣) so I’m really glad they got to see her before she died.
I met Charles about 25 years ago as he was Duke of Cornwall then and was in the area. He struck me as a good guy in the short time that I spoke with him and I think he’s very often misunderstood unfortunately.
The Crown and Duchy estates own land in the UK and vast majority of it is made available to the public or to syndicates/clubs for hunting (deer stalking/wildfowling/game shooting etc)
I was involved in such a syndicate myself and it was extremely cheap to be a part of.
The entire foreshore coastline of Scotland for example (11,602 miles apparently) is available to the British public to shoot on for FREE for geese/wildfowl (during the correct seasons of course)
I support the royals and they have always had the backs of hunters in this country. Charles, has in the past lobbied government in support of hunters, even though I don’t think he is interested in hunting much himself. William is a keen deer stalker and I can assure you that the animals are not lined up for him to step out of a “limo” and shoot 🤣 He does of course have access to areas with high densities of quality animals but they aren’t tame by any means!

I just watched the video of USA vs Europe hunting…..
Where to begin?
practically all of what he describes as “Europe” applies mostly to Germany.

I cannot begin to describe the enormous variations between countries and even regions within countries. There are so many differences in the ways that wildlife management and hunting takes place.
Rather than go into details about other countries I will concentrate on UK for a moment.
So we have a system here in UK for acquiring firearms and it’s very strict to ensure that access to firearms (rifles) is limited to people who actually need them for good reason (ie hunting) shotguns are different in that you don’t need to show good reason to possess them, only that you are of sound mind and not a maniac/criminal.
Once you have a licence you can buy your gun and ammo and use it on private land wherever you have permission. I personally have never had any official training for firearms and the vast majority of guys around here learned from an older generation and have never been in any kind of classroom situation for firearms safety or hunting knowledge whatsoever. (Firearms accidents and injuries are EXTREMELY rare, I might add, practically unheard of)
There are courses available for that sort of thing but it’s not required by law.
There is no limit to how many animals I can shoot. I can shoot deer/boar 365 days a year if I wanted to.
There are seasons for many species, but no additional tags or permits to pay for. There are no draws or lotteries or anything like that. Hunters are 100% responsible for management of the population of game animals in their area. It is completely in our hands to decide which/how many animals to shoot on private land and for the most part this system works very well.

Contrary to what is implied in the video, hunting over here is carried out by a complete range of people with differing political views and opinions and social classes. It’s certainly not reserved for the wealthy “elite” and most hunters tend to be what you might call “working class”
We don’t tend to get all dressed up in tweed jackets and plus fours (unless it’s a really special occasion 🤣)

There is however a sort of subculture of game bird shooting, mainly on large private estates where pheasants and partridges etc are reared, released and then presented as expensive driven birds over the heads of paying guests and this usually attracts a different set of people who perhaps don’t shoot very often and maybe live in the city and work for a banking group or something like that.

For the visiting sportsman the UK is great and we have 6 species of deer and a bunch of other stuff to hunt, and it’s very cheap. Now is a great time to book your trip since the GBP/USD rate is so great for you guys….MOWBIZZ book your plane ticket. You can even do a tour of London as I know you obviously would love to get a selfie at Buckingham palace? 🤣

338 Bear Hunter

Reaction score
I live here in Cornwall UK which is very much a royalist area. I’m sorry to see that some of you guys find reason to dislike our royal family but of course we all have our different opinions on these things and that’s what makes for discussion in the first place.
She came right past my doorstep for the G7 summit thing last year so we went outside and waved with the kids(we also waved at your president I might add, whatever you guys think about that 🤣) so I’m really glad they got to see her before she died.
I met Charles about 25 years ago as he was Duke of Cornwall then and was in the area. He struck me as a good guy in the short time that I spoke with him and I think he’s very often misunderstood unfortunately.
The Crown and Duchy estates own land in the UK and vast majority of it is made available to the public or to syndicates/clubs for hunting (deer stalking/wildfowling/game shooting etc)
I was involved in such a syndicate myself and it was extremely cheap to be a part of.
The entire foreshore coastline of Scotland for example (11,602 miles apparently) is available to the British public to shoot on for FREE for geese/wildfowl (during the correct seasons of course)
I support the royals and they have always had the backs of hunters in this country. Charles, has in the past lobbied government in support of hunters, even though I don’t think he is interested in hunting much himself. William is a keen deer stalker and I can assure you that the animals are not lined up for him to step out of a “limo” and shoot 🤣 He does of course have access to areas with high densities of quality animals but they aren’t tame by any means!

Where to begin?

I cannot begin to describe the enormous variations between countries and even regions within countries. There are so many differences in the ways that wildlife management and hunting takes place.
Rather than go into details about other countries I will concentrate on UK for a moment.
So we have a system here in UK for acquiring firearms and it’s very strict to ensure that access to firearms (rifles) is limited to people who actually need them for good reason (ie hunting) shotguns are different in that you don’t need to show good reason to possess them, only that you are of sound mind and not a maniac/criminal.
Once you have a licence you can buy your gun and ammo and use it on private land wherever you have permission. I personally have never had any official training for firearms and the vast majority of guys around here learned from an older generation and have never been in any kind of classroom situation for firearms safety or hunting knowledge whatsoever. (Firearms accidents and injuries are EXTREMELY rare, I might add, practically unheard of)
There are courses available for that sort of thing but it’s not required by law.
There is no limit to how many animals I can shoot. I can shoot deer/boar 365 days a year if I wanted to.
There are seasons for many species, but no additional tags or permits to pay for. There are no draws or lotteries or anything like that. Hunters are 100% responsible for management of the population of game animals in their area. It is completely in our hands to decide which/how many animals to shoot on private land and for the most part this system works very well.

Contrary to what is implied in the video, hunting over here is carried out by a complete range of people with differing political views and opinions and social classes. It’s certainly not reserved for the wealthy “elite” and most hunters tend to be what you might call “working class”
We don’t tend to get all dressed up in tweed jackets and plus fours (unless it’s a really special occasion 🤣)

There is however a sort of subculture of game bird shooting, mainly on large private estates where pheasants and partridges etc are reared, released and then presented as expensive driven birds over the heads of paying guests and this usually attracts a different set of people who perhaps don’t shoot very often and maybe live in the city and work for a banking group or something like that.

For the visiting sportsman the UK is great and we have 6 species of deer and a bunch of other stuff to hunt, and it’s very cheap. Now is a great time to book your trip since the GBP/USD rate is so great for you guys….MOWBIZZ book your plane ticket. You can even do a tour of London as I know you obviously would love to get a selfie at Buckingham palace? 🤣
Do you still need the Mark of the Beast (aka COVID vaccine proof) to get into the UK?

mowbizz

Reaction score

Where to begin?

Good to hear William hunts “somewhat” normally…when I said “steps out of a limo (Land Rover) and is coached to shoot an animal” I was referring to the queen, herself!
It’s true! I saw it on Netflix! 😊

Latest posts