Would you shoot one

ojibwa

Reaction score
Every day like clock work a group of 20 turkeys come through my yard.. I can walk out on my back deck and they just stare at me and continue eating grass and bugs..It would be a 20yd chip bow shot and I have a tag.. nothing illegal about shooting one, Thought about killing one for Thanksgiving but it would be like shooting a yard chicken ..lol

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
Hey , it's legal and you are better off letting a arrow fly in your yard rather than shooting one from your stand and disturbing the area and taking a chance of spooking any deer that could be nearby.

ojibwa

Reaction score
That's what I am thinking...I have a stand behind the house. I could put my hunting clothes on go sit in and go through all the machinations of "hunting" but I would still be killing the same turkey....this way I can do it in my PJs...lol

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Sure ! Why not ! Nice fresh wild turkey for Thanksgiving dinner !

Maybe you can fry up those 6 inch goldfish as the appetizer ! :cool:

ojibwa

Reaction score
Sure ! Why not ! Nice fresh wild turkey for Thanksgiving dinner !

Maybe you can fry up those 6 inch goldfish as the appetizer ! :cool:
Never had goldfish can't be much different then carp, have eaten a lot of smoked carp.

ojibwa

Reaction score
Sitting here in my home office keeping an eye out the window..lol

BDB

Reaction score
Get the picture in your slippers and bath robe with the dead turkey :) I'd whack one!

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Sitting here in my home office keeping an eye out the window..lol
You have to at least dress for the part when the moment of truth presents itself.

Camo boxer shorts and camo slippers should do. Just dont post a selfie of it though ! LOL

ojibwa

Reaction score
You have to at least dress for the part when the moment of truth presents itself.

Camo boxer shorts and camo slippers should do. Just dont post a selfie of it though ! LOL
So I can't pose in my camo thong?

ojibwa

Reaction score
I knew once I decided to kill one they would change their pattern... still waiting..

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
I remember back when my kids were younger and debating on this. We occasionally will have anywhere from 2-40 Turkeys in our yard at times. It would be like a switch. You could expect them around the same time everyday for a period of time and then we wouldn't see any for months or longer. One fall I decided why not? My kids were waiting for breakfast staring out the window at them and I asked them to pick out the biggest one and daddy will shoot it. We opened the bathroom window on the second floor and let a arrow fly. The kids got a kick out of it and were super excited. Luckily my neighbors at the time lived far enough away and I was well within the legal shooting distance from occupied home's. That turkey danced around the yard before finally dropping. Since then several home's have been built and I can't legally take a shot. Turkeys in our neighborhood have become a permanent fixture and in the spring time my kids have a blast as I put a pop-up blind and a few decoys and the girls will sit in there with a call and have a blast playing around.

ojibwa

Reaction score
I remember back when my kids were younger and debating on this. We occasionally will have anywhere from 2-40 Turkeys in our yard at times. It would be like a switch. You could expect them around the same time everyday for a period of time and then we wouldn't see any for months or longer. One fall I decided why not? My kids were waiting for breakfast staring out the window at them and I asked them to pick out the biggest one and daddy will shoot it. We opened the bathroom window on the second floor and let a arrow fly. The kids got a kick out of it and were super excited. Luckily my neighbors at the time lived far enough away and I was well within the legal shooting distance from occupied home's. That turkey danced around the yard before finally dropping. Since then several home's have been built and I can't legally take a shot. Turkeys in our neighborhood have become a permanent fixture and in the spring time my kids have a blast as I put a pop-up blind and a few decoys and the girls will sit in there with a call and have a blast playing around.
Funny you mention shooting out the window.. a buddy of mine in TN killed three nice bucks three years in a row out of his kitchen window , he lives in very rural area with no neighbors..

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Funny you mention shooting out the window.. a buddy of mine in TN killed three nice bucks three years in a row out of his kitchen window , he lives in very rural area with no neighbors..
Did he mount them?