Worth the watch...

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I was just reading Nate's post about losing his friend to mental illness. This situation knows no limits. It doesn't matter what financial bracket you're in, where you live or any other factor. It has touched my family personally as well. I won't go into details, but I can tell you one person in your family dealing with it will cause everyone to deal with it.

With that being said, I did hours of research about medications, reasons why, and statistics. What I found a couple years ago, and my belief is most of the numbers climbed when cell phones, primarily smart phones came about. I found some videos from Tristan Harris who is a co-creator of Google mail, Jonathan Haidt a social Pysc. , and a couple other creators of apps such as snap chat, and Facebook. They were eye opening at the very least two years ago when I started this research.

Netflix is running a show called "the social dilemma". It's a documentary put together with all the people I found when I started my research two years ago making it easier to understand and correlate all the information in 94 minutes. I suggest every person , particularly parents watch this. We are the first generation to raise kids with devices in their hands from the time they are toddlers in most cases.

Nobody is immune from the situations they are talking about. If you're on here reading this....... you're now and algorithm. If you have a smart phone that receives texts, emails, updates from news networks. if you subscribe to a YouTube channel , if you have any phone in your pocket. You are , and have been a target. We are nothing more than products now and it's having a detrimental effect on our society.

I can't suggest enough to watch this documentary.

tobydog

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say it is worth watching for sure. Pretty shocking when the guy, Tim Kendell was asked what his biggest fear was. He did not hesitate in his answer.

Also with the what the political climate is now, I was not surprised to hear how news feeds are so granularly managed. I have worked in IT on the administration side for over 20 years. To know that there is so much social engineering going on in the background is concerning to say the least. When they started talking about each person having their own "truth", the political landscape today made much more sense to me.

On the brighter side, Kendall now works at a company called Moment. Looks like an app that helps people better manage their screen time. If we don't listen to the guys on the front line who are developing this stuff and willing to speak up even if it is in hindsight, we are going to be in even more trouble than we are now.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say it is worth watching for sure. Pretty shocking when the guy, Tim Kendell was asked what his biggest fear was. He did not hesitate in his answer.

Also with the what the political climate is now, I was not surprised to hear how news feeds are so granularly managed. I have worked in IT on the administration side for over 20 years. To know that there is so much social engineering going on in the background is concerning to say the least. When they started talking about each person having their own "truth", the political landscape today made much more sense to me.

On the brighter side, Kendall now works at a company called Moment. Looks like an app that helps people better manage their screen time. If we don't listen to the guys on the front line who are developing this stuff and willing to speak up even if it is in hindsight, we are going to be in even more trouble than we are now.
I'm glad you watched it. Sounds like you were disturbed by the same things I was. I haven't talked to a single person yet that wasn't blown away in one fashion or another. I've now watched it 3 times. Once alone, once with my daughter , then with my wife.

tobydog

Reaction score
I watched with my wife. She told me last night she didn't even want to go on the Internet all day yesterday. My fear is that like most things, any solution will become highly politicized and as a result be bogged down in a nationwide finger pointing session that drags on for years.
I think I am going to have my 16 year old daughter watch it with me. I will also be recommending it to my 26 year old daughter and for that matter anyone else who will listen.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
My 25 year old daughter watched it and had the same reaction as us. She told me last week it’s certainly had an effect on how often she’s using social media. If nothing else..... it’s like being made aware how bad a Big Mac is for us, so the guilt keeps you from eating many, or any.

Last edited:

tobydog

Reaction score

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I heard this on the radio this morning. I also heard that the documentary is "trending" on Netflix. Meaning more people are watching it. Now let's see what they do with the information. I fear that too many are too far gone, or more accurately too arrogant to admit THEY personally display that behavior.

In the long run, I'm sure nothing will come about from it. Politicians use this to keep the citizens fighting amongst one another , rather than the citizens turn their anger on the people elected to do their job regardless of party affiliation. Zuckerburg is safe because FB stock is lining many peoples pockets or is in a large amount of the citizens "portfolios" and turning a profit. One thing R's and D's have in common...... they both like money and they both like keeping their position of power. They won't do a damn thing to disrupt either. To fix what's going on would take a giant disruption of behavior when it comes to phones, internet and habits. it's taken our society roughly 15 years to get to this state of internet ghetto. It'll take twice as long to come out of it in my opinion.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I plan on watching it. I'm not much of a social media participant, but I'm a people watcher - and I can't imagine it changes anything, as pessimistic as that sounds.

It just feels like people are willing to give up almost anything before they give up convenience. People constantly complain about privacy, but refuse to leave home without the device in their pocket that reveals almost everything about them. Buy things with cash instead of CC - oh wait, its inconvenient to go get cash out of the bank. Etc etc. Our brains are wired to find efficiency in the processes we participate in throughout life, and we're social animals. If we have an efficient way of socializing (facebook, etc) then its going to be a fight against evolution to wean people off it.

tobydog

Reaction score
Good points Pete. We are instant gratification addicts on top of efficiency seekers. Not a good combo when mixed with social media and a pandemic to boot. Uphill battle for sure and especially hard when very few are fighting it.

benny8

Reaction score
I was just reading Nate's post about losing his friend to mental illness. This situation knows no limits. It doesn't matter what financial bracket you're in, where you live or any other factor. It has touched my family personally as well. I won't go into details, but I can tell you one person in your family dealing with it will cause everyone to deal with it.

With that being said, I did hours of research about medications, reasons why, and statistics. What I found a couple years ago, and my belief is most of the numbers climbed when cell phones, primarily smart phones came about. I found some videos from Tristan Harris who is a co-creator of Google mail, Jonathan Haidt a social Pysc. , and a couple other creators of apps such as snap chat, and Facebook. They were eye opening at the very least two years ago when I started this research.

Netflix is running a show called "the social dilemma". It's a documentary put together with all the people I found when I started my research two years ago making it easier to understand and correlate all the information in 94 minutes. I suggest every person , particularly parents watch this. We are the first generation to raise kids with devices in their hands from the time they are toddlers in most cases.

Nobody is immune from the situations they are talking about. If you're on here reading this....... you're now and algorithm. If you have a smart phone that receives texts, emails, updates from news networks. if you subscribe to a YouTube channel , if you have any phone in your pocket. You are , and have been a target. We are nothing more than products now and it's having a detrimental effect on our society.

I can't suggest enough to watch this documentary.
This has touched my family as well. I will be watching it today when I get home from work. Thanks for the suggestion Shawn.

Latest posts