Wool pant options

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I bought a pair of big Bill 18 oz cargo woolies & like them alot...don't know how they will hold up;but they seem to be well made.
I'm on year 7 with my $70 Big Bill pants. They have many miles on them. The crotch is a little thin now, bit they still work. I bought a new pair this season just in case the crotch rips out, but it hasn't happened yet.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Codet 6 pockets that I bought off eBay years ago. I can't seem to tear them, but can absolutely tell the difference in the wool compared to my beagle pants. My beagles are absolutely smoked. No tears, but the wool is no longer as good as it was 10 years ago. Go figure..... these owe me nothing!!! Even when wet, they are still the best wool pants I've ever owned.

The Codet's , which I believe are big bills now are ok. I wear them on days that will be 30 degrees and sunny and not much moisture. They are more like a table cloth look now vs. a wool look if that makes sense. If they get wet, they are essentially useless. They become very heavy, don't hold the heat as they should and my base layer if wearing one is soaked less than an hour of those conditions.

Just my opinions of them... but both pair have seen better days. I have to replace at least one pair if not both before next season. That's why I'm leaning towards the BWB pants first, then hopefully find a pair of Big Bills on sale some place. I will admit I've gotten spoiled with the liner in my Beagle pants as well. I've decided to make my coat last another season since I've decided to mount this years buck. I've also started talks with a friend about a New Mexico elk hunt next year during their ML season.

Last edited:

ahmoore

Reaction score
^^^ Funny, couldn't figure out the best to describe the older Codet's, but being "table cloth" like is spot on! Actually, I compared a non-wear area of the Codet's against the newer Big Bill's by holding up to light and looking through, the Big Bill's def seem more more solid, seems they upped their construction/quality game. Still though, made of recycled wool and don't expect the longevity as a virgin or melton wool, but think will get money's worth. ''

Regardless of brand/wool, it seems like a doubler patch in the high wear areas is a necessary improvement/repair! Unsure if it would be quiet enough, but a Cordura patch would sure stand-up to the wear.

Shooter Buck

Reaction score
Does anyone know if those Big Bill Jackets have a cargo pocket in the rear?
The reversible jacket does have the cargo pocket in the rear. I had one before I got my beagle jacket.

• Relaxed fit
  • Zip front closure
  • Reversible to 10 oz fleece orange
  • 2 chest slash pockets
  • 2 bottom patch pockets with snap flap closure
  • Wide large pockets on back with opening on both side with flap & snap closure.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Codet 6 pockets that I bought off eBay years ago. I can't seem to tear them, but can absolutely tell the difference in the wool compared to my beagle pants. My beagles are absolutely smoked. No tears, but the wool is no longer as good as it was 10 years ago. Go figure..... these owe me nothing!!! Even when wet, they are still the best wool pants I've ever owned.

The Codet's , which I believe are big bills now are ok. I wear them on days that will be 30 degrees and sunny and not much moisture. They are more like a table cloth look now vs. a wool look if that makes sense. If they get wet, they are essentially useless. They become very heavy, don't hold the heat as they should and my base layer if wearing one is soaked less than an hour of those conditions.

Just my opinions of them... but both pair have seen better days. I have to replace at least one pair if not both before next season. That's why I'm leaning towards the BWB pants first, then hopefully find a pair of Big Bills on sale some place. I will admit I've gotten spoiled with the liner in my Beagle pants as well. I've decided to make my coat last another season since I've decided to mount this years buck. I've also started talks with a friend about a New Mexico elk hunt next year during their ML season.
Didn't the Beagle stuff have a waterproof type membrane/liner? I know the jackets did. I think my blaze cape does as well.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
It probably wouldn't hurt to spray them with something before the season.

ahmoore

Reaction score
In older thread, mbr confirmed Beagle's standalone zip-up cape/vest does have the windproof/waterproof membrane, the same used inside the Stalker and Extreme coats. I have the cape/vest and can vouch it adds a nice layer of warmth for coldest days.

Old Beagle catalog mentioned "DuPont Teflon fabric protector" coating to make more water/stain resistant. I know some waterproof sprays have an odor and probably air out, but believe there are some other brands out there that are more scent free (water-based).

ahmoore

Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning, heard good stuff about their boot products as well.