Wool pant options

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Well my favorite pair of wool pants are about to bite the dust...threadbare in too many places. TIme for a new pair. What is out there for options now? They need to have cargo pockets on the legs. I know Codet/BigBill make a pair like this, I have a pair that I wear occasionally. I can't believe the price Johnson wants for pants these days!!! The pair I am replacing is a pair of Cabelas Legacy Superwash wool...they held up very well for 6 years but their time has come.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t think LL bean makes them with the cargo pockets anymore, but I have never been more impressed with their straight leg dark green ones. I went 5-6 years before the crotch and lower seat got thin, then I just hand sewed a huge patch on the inside. Use them as a back up and spare aNd bought the same thing new. What I found was the new ones were even better as they have an expanding type wasteband that gives you an inch or so of flexibility. Quality is actually superb compared to any wool I have owned.

I have just taken these and threw them in the wash on delicate and cold and hung to dry for years too as the dry cleaning process I found was leaving odors once they got wet.
Sorry, this post likely won’t help you with the cargo pocket requirement.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Do you not like the Big Bill? That would have been my suggestion based on price and quality.

I know Reny's carries Big Bill, but I'm not sure when they are "fully stocked" (presumably in the early fall), or if they carry the cargo pocket ones. The regular ones are like $65 which is super cheap compared to other brands or places online such as gostwear for the same thing.

I was just in the one in Wells the other day and all they had left were 2 pairs of pants and 2 of the blaze/green reversible vests. One pair was 36/30 and the other 34/30 IIRC. One vest was XL and the other XXL.

Those ones JDK posted look like they may be worth a shot.

Curious, what do you store in the cargo pockets? Do you not carry a pack?

NorthMaine

Reaction score
They have a picture of a Big Bill coat on that page JDK posted. I'm wondering if those aren't just Big Bill pants, as they look identical. The descriptions and sizes from the gostwear site are identical as well.

I am betting those are Big Bill pants.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
They have a picture of a Big Bill coat on that page JDK posted. I'm wondering if those aren't just Big Bill pants, as they look identical. The descriptions and sizes from the gostwear site are identical as well.

I am betting those are Big Bill pants.
That's what I was wondering as well

JDK

Reaction score
Jay...do you have experience with either the 18oz merino or the 24oz heavy wool
I do not but one of the guys I hunt with bought a pair and they seemed fine. He has only had them for a year or so.

JDK

Reaction score
He was the one that gave me the site as I am also looking for a new pair of wool pants.

WetWool

Reaction score
I have had great luck with both my big bill pants and reversible vest. Pants from Hussey hardware, vest from Reny's. Way cheaper $ than anything else I have seen. End of season, put in washer with a cap of woolite on delicate and wash away the doe pee for another season!:)

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
My son has been wearing the 18oz Big Bill Merino's and he loves them. He likes them as much as the Beagle's he outgrew. (I know, blasphemy)

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation. I'm biting the bullet and ordering a pair off the BWB website this spring.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
I bought a pair of big Bill 18 oz cargo woolies & like them alot...don't know how they will hold up;but they seem to be well made.

amclimber

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t think LL bean makes them with the cargo pockets anymore, but I have never been more impressed with their straight leg dark green ones. I went 5-6 years before the crotch and lower seat got thin, then I just hand sewed a huge patch on the inside. Use them as a back up and spare aNd bought the same thing new. What I found was the new ones were even better as they have an expanding type wasteband that gives you an inch or so of flexibility. Quality is actually superb compared to any wool I have owned.

I have just taken these and threw them in the wash on delicate and cold and hung to dry for years too as the dry cleaning process I found was leaving odors once they got wet.
I've had the same experience with the new bean pants.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Does anyone who has the lightweight merinos have any feedback in how they hold up over time? Curious how they fare when on the move up north through all the berry bushes and other treasures you encounter. I bought the BWB pants two years ago when I wore out the patches on my patches of my old woolies. The BWB pants are quality but can be hot as balls on days above 30* when covering ground.

amclimber

Reaction score
Does anyone who has the lightweight merinos have any feedback in how they hold up over time? Curious how they fare when on the move up north through all the berry bushes and other treasures you encounter. I bought the BWB pants two years ago when I wore out the patches on my patches of my old woolies. The BWB pants are quality but can be hot as balls on days above 30* when covering ground.
I bought the lightweight "merino" wool pants. They aren't merino wool, and they are about the same weight as the bean or johnson pants. They also have a real high waist line, which feels a liitle odd (not terrible) Can't speak to the quality as i only wore my beans this year because i liked them so much.

ahmoore

Reaction score
Right about time I found deal on Big Bill 24 oz. a while back, someone on here pointed out the 18 oz. version. Rolled w/ deal, the 24 oz. cargo pocket & they have been superb. Have a pair of former Codet’s & you would think the same, but the Big Bill’s seem thicker & tighter weave. Wore through the previous Codet’s I had fairly fast & no issues yet w/ 24 oz.

benny8

Reaction score

I also have the LL Bean wool pants in green. They are great! The expanding waist and a rubber type waist band help to keep them in place. As Kingman Cruncher said doesn't help with the cargo pocket requirement.