Wool Jacket

mowbizz

Reaction score
That's hilarious! At least you have the satisfaction of knowing that she got a good whiff of your "taint". lol
Haha...funniest line I’ve seen on here in a while...I can picture the “old bag” holding the pants up at arms length and grimacing at the thought of touching the crotch area...lololol

hammertime

Reaction score
I have two Beagle coats I wear when sitting or in the coldest weather, but my Labonville unlined wool jacket gets the most use. They have tall sizes and are very comfortable.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I have two Beagle coats I wear when sitting or in the coldest weather, but my Labonville unlined wool jacket gets the most use. They have tall sizes and are very comfortable.
I've had good luck with the Labonville pants as well. I will admit they don't get as much use as probably most on here, but I have had the same pair for probably 10 years.

JDK

Reaction score
Thanks hammertime, I'll look into them.

Eric88

Reaction score
I heard about it but haven't really tried one. I have a spirit horse and I'd say it's a good one. Used it in almost every adventure.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I tried to return two pairs of Johnson pants after 3/4 of a hunting season. One was mine, the other my best friends. We bought them in Oct., by week 3 of the rifle season both pairs were worn out from the bottom of the zipper to the backside of my taint. Just simply from walking miles in them. No abuse, not wearing them to work in, fish in...... Just everyday still hunting covering miles.

I spoke with the owner directly after they had them for two weeks. She told me the pants were "disgusting" and how dare it send them not dry cleaned, and there was no way she would even prorate them. I explained at that point if this was the product they were going to continue to put out to hunters, they'd be losing business with Beagle being out there, and Hal talking up the Filson brand. She didn't care. Johnson wool caters to people who want to where a plaid jacket to go cut down a xmas tree, or maybe cross country ski once a year in their wool pants. Her and I had a long talk about how hunters were their bread and butter, and if she refuses to stand behind her product, there's many other players in town that I'll gladly give my money to instead. She didn't give a damn...... and said so. F -her!!!!!!

I even gave them a second chance when I was looking at their wool backpacks. I spoke with the "supervising seamstress" and she was a bitch as well. I won't buy a dog bed from those jackass' ever again. Just the fact they have brought the price of their pants up to 229.00 speaks volumes. They are just charging what predator wear does, or what beaglewear was able to get for their pants. I've had a pair of beagle wear pants since 2009. I sent them back to have the crotch reworked before they closed, and still don't have any holes in them. They were used every day this year that I was out, which was 120 hours.
I was at a marketing seminar 5-6 years ago. They had a couple employees from Johnson Wool who were also attending. They said 80% of there wool is sold in China. I guess our business doesn't matter to them.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I was at a marketing seminar 5-6 years ago. They had a couple employees from Johnson Wool who were also attending. They said 80% of there wool is sold in China. I guess our business doesn't matter to them.
I guess they say screw these hunters they buy 1 coat even 10 years. Who needs them.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I read a business study that said something similar. The vast majority of sales for Johnson now comes from Japanese youth that are going through a fashion fad where plaid wool is cool. Guess what boys...we're "cool" in Japan.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Speaking of wool, the LLB guide pants on dark green I have loved for years. They are just the right weight and cut, but I wore the crotch out of them. As I was seeing in a patch, I figured it would be nice to keep these as a spare and order a replacement while things were 20% off. New pants arrived, of course they must have changed the design as they have that stretch side portion of the waist band. I guess it’s good if you are between sizes, as I have a few in dress pants that are decent, but my old pants were perfect in size and could be worn without suspenders or belt. I’m sure they will be fine, but I hate it when they change a good thing! Just an FYI.

Last edited:

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I heard about it but haven't really tried one. I have a spirit horse and I'd say it's a good one. Used it in almost every adventure.
I was looking at their pants, they look good and just wondering on the quality.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Speaking of wool, the LLB guide pants on dark green I have loved for years. They are just the right weight and cut, but I wore the crotch out of them. As I was seeing in a patch, I figured it would be nice to keep these as a spare and order a replacement while things were 20% off. New pants arrived, of course they must have changed the design as they have that stretch side portion of the waist band. I guess it’s good if you are between sizes, as I have a few in dress pants that are decent, but my old pants were perfect in size and could be worn without suspenders or belt. I’m sure they will be fine, but I hate it when they change a good thing! Just an FYI.
I've been running a cheap pair of Big Bill pants for 5-6 years and I love them. No suspenders needed. They were like $60 and the crotch is just wearing out on them.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good things about the Big Bill stuff. Looking at their website, I don't think Labonville sells the wool pants anymore, so Big Bill will likely be my next pair. Especially with my parents being so close to Canada, I'll have to see how much they sell them for up there with the exchange rate.

Reaction score
Picked up a Big Bill jacket, in olive green, when I was up hunting this year and has been good so far. Have had a pair of their pants for a couple years now and have been holding up pretty good also

ahmoore

Reaction score
^^^Nice, looks like the olive is the 18 oz. merino wool version and looks like the 24 oz. wool version is the spruce color. I got the regular 24 oz. wool cargo pants and like a lot.

Reaction score
does it have a rear cargo pocket in it?
No it doesn't, thats the only thing I would have to say if it did it would then be perfect for my needs. But then again I use a fanny pack that has shoulder straps. It's on the line of the LL Bean zip front guide jacket, has the two normal side pockets, then two button down chest pockets the the cape overlaps

longbow

Reaction score
No it doesn't, thats the only thing I would have to say if it did it would then be perfect for my needs. But then again I use a fanny pack that has shoulder straps. It's on the line of the LL Bean zip front guide jacket, has the two normal side pockets, then two button down chest pockets the the cape overlaps
I like throwing stuff I don't use much back there, but that I always want to have with me, like my survival kit and drag rope.

Reaction score
I like throwing stuff I don't use much back there, but that I always want to have with me, like my survival kit and drag rope.
I agree, I've been wanting to get another jacket but have problems with sleeve length and this one fit great. Plus if it did have storage in the back I would still be carrying that pack and have that much more crap with me ! lol