Wool Jacket question.......

ahmoore

Reaction score
Thanks both, good to know the Benoit one is shorter.

Not sure if a good idea, but RIT dye has a formula for blaze orange. I have a garment that I’d like to dye but not the whole thing. Only way I can think of is to put on hanger and use a paint brush to apply the dye to just a portion. For the blaze cape, would be cool if a method like that would work to brighten a couple/few shades, or like you said, have someone sew in new material.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Thanks both, good to know the Benoit one is shorter.

Not sure if a good idea, but RIT dye has a formula for blaze orange. I have a garment that I’d like to dye but not the whole thing. Only way I can think of is to put on hanger and use a paint brush to apply the dye to just a portion. For the blaze cape, would be cool if a method like that would work to brighten a couple/few shades, or like you said, have someone sew in new material.
If am going to just take a new orange camo vest and have them sew it right on top of my faded wool section. I figure someone skilled could make it look factory.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I have the BWB jacket made by silent predator. It is a great coat, but when it is above 35, I find it to be too warm.

This year, I picked up an L.L. Bean Jac shirt in green/black checkering. I installed snaps on it so my BWB orange vest will snap on it. I actually prefer wearing this setup when it is above 35, which ends up being most of the season.

Mikejd

Reaction score
If am going to just take a new orange camo vest and have them sew it right on top of my faded wool section. I figure someone skilled could make it look factory.

Maybe you can have then sew in some pieces of heavy duty velcro. Then a few pieces on the inside of the cape so when that eventually fades you can pull it off and replace. I am not a fan of velcro in the woods but if you are not actually using it it should be ok.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I have the BWB jacket made by silent predator. It is a great coat, but when it is above 35, I find it to be too warm.

This year, I picked up an L.L. Bean Jac shirt in green/black checkering. I installed snaps on it so my BWB orange vest will snap on it. I actually prefer wearing this setup when it is above 35, which ends up being most of the season.
do you find the vest getting caught up in twigs and limbs going through the thicker stuff?

ahmoore

Reaction score
MH, only seeing Bean’s Maine Guide Shirt w/ primaloft in green/black check, a button-up, is it that one or maybe an older Jac Shirt (zip) when they used to have that color? (I have older Bean’s Jac Shirt in green/Black when they sourced from Johnson, unsure how old it is.)

ahmoore

Reaction score
I see better now, they have regular and one w/ Primaloft, it’s the insulated version (different types, like Thinsulate). Fine for sitting but easy to sweat-up w/ that type when on the move.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Mine does not have Primaloft. It's just a thin wool button up jacket with two small breast pockets. I love this setup for most days.

JDK

Reaction score
LL Bean has 20% off orders today

Grandkid

Reaction score
I did see your post asking about the differences in jackets but since I did go on a hunt with Hal I didn't want to sound like an ad for BWB.

Well I have the beagle stuff. Stalker pants and jacket. I have always been too hot with that model when I walked (wasn't really tracking back when I purchased them). I have Bean pants also, and other wools pants by Johnson along with a Johnson 60's vintage green jacket that was handed down to me. I also purchased a Johnson wool coat last year from Faraway with the sewn in cape (two buttons on the bottom of it). I was always worried about hanging up my gun on it. It is comfortable but the buttons will make a noise if you hit it with the gun butt while mounting it. Not sure what the weight is but it was comfortable to wear in 10 degree weather.

Fast forward to this season and I revamped all my gear to just focus on tracking. I have the BWB coat and pants and have been super happy with them so far. The jacket has a handy slanted zippered pocket on each breast under the orange cape where I have been storing my phone(GPS) on one side and a compass and grunt tube on the other. I wasn't certain if I was going to like the snaps but they were placed well and didn't get in the way to allow for easy access to those pockets. I like the fact that the cape can be detached and replaced if needed and allows for less layers especially hunting in NH. I find myself wearing an orange hat anyway. So far so good. The jacket weight is good for me if the temps are 25 and below. I found myself wearing just a lightweight Minus 33 long underwear and have been fine all day. I hunted in 15 degree weather on Saturday and if worked fine while tracking with the coat fully zipped. I did like the fact that it has a two way zipper so I could regulate my body temperature while walking slow or fast or on flat ground or climbing. No back pouch so I wear a BWB belt pack which has been working fine also.

The wool density is different with all the jackets I have and they each have their place depending on what style of hunting your into. But the BWB coat and pants are well thought out for the tracking style of hunting and Silent Predator provides a quality product on the stitching and fit. I would't hesitate to purchase from them again. Worth the investment.

So far so good.

Roger-

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
For the kind of hunting I like to do, which is on the move, the LLbean jacshirt has served me well. Minus temps up to 40’s and you can stay pretty comfortable. Might be made in Vietnam, but it’s 100% wool and well made.

I checked out Johnson’s similar jacket at Farmway in Bradford VT yesterday and that was pretty nice as well, just a bit higher cost at $190.

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/111759?productId=1556435&attrValue_0=Loden&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=B4A8C508-195E-E611-80EF-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=pla_with_promotiononline&qs=3125008&pcd=THANKS20&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw4jvBRCJARIsAHYewPO7_8OGl3vu-S_3Buvg1sbIdQpexP5l-v2O8Nl6YYgd0i6tgPzpaGQaAgmvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I think this is the exact one I have and was referring to in my earlier post. I'm with Mainewoods...even when its wicked cold, I just layer a little and its great. If anything it might be *too* warm on average.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I did see your post asking about the differences in jackets but since I did go on a hunt with Hal I didn't want to sound like an ad for BWB.

Well I have the beagle stuff. Stalker pants and jacket. I have always been too hot with that model when I walked (wasn't really tracking back when I purchased them). I have Bean pants also, and other wools pants by Johnson along with a Johnson 60's vintage green jacket that was handed down to me. I also purchased a Johnson wool coat last year from Faraway with the sewn in cape (two buttons on the bottom of it). I was always worried about hanging up my gun on it. It is comfortable but the buttons will make a noise if you hit it with the gun butt while mounting it. Not sure what the weight is but it was comfortable to wear in 10 degree weather.

Fast forward to this season and I revamped all my gear to just focus on tracking. I have the BWB coat and pants and have been super happy with them so far. The jacket has a handy slanted zippered pocket on each breast under the orange cape where I have been storing my phone(GPS) on one side and a compass and grunt tube on the other. I wasn't certain if I was going to like the snaps but they were placed well and didn't get in the way to allow for easy access to those pockets. I like the fact that the cape can be detached and replaced if needed and allows for less layers especially hunting in NH. I find myself wearing an orange hat anyway. So far so good. The jacket weight is good for me if the temps are 25 and below. I found myself wearing just a lightweight Minus 33 long underwear and have been fine all day. I hunted in 15 degree weather on Saturday and if worked fine while tracking with the coat fully zipped. I did like the fact that it has a two way zipper so I could regulate my body temperature while walking slow or fast or on flat ground or climbing. No back pouch so I wear a BWB belt pack which has been working fine also.

The wool density is different with all the jackets I have and they each have their place depending on what style of hunting your into. But the BWB coat and pants are well thought out for the tracking style of hunting and Silent Predator provides a quality product on the stitching and fit. I would't hesitate to purchase from them again. Worth the investment.

So far so good.

Roger-
I didn't take it as an infomercial at all. You answered all my questions. Thanks for taking the time.