Wool Jacket question.......

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I've got a little poker winnings stashed away....... it's time for a new jacket. While checking out the grip and grin threads I've noticed a couple jackets. One is the BWB coat with the orange vest, the other ...... the Johnson. I've vowed I'd never give that woman my money again, but I'm in the market for a new hunting coat as the orange on my beagle is faded more than I care for.

I'm leaning towards the BWB just because the vest is removable therefore if it gets faded again I can just purchase a new vest instead of retiring a 280.00 coat. Although I managed 10 years out of my Beagle jacket. At 35.00 a season I can't complain much about that. The only thing I don't care for about the BWB is the insignia. No offense to Hal and what he's created, but I hate looking like a groupie. When I bought my beagle coat the first thing I did was cut the benoit patch off.

My question is to those who have worn a beagle tracker coat and made the switch which did you go with and are you happy with your choice? Also... is the weight of the coats the same? Lighter? Thanks in advance for all replies.

ahmoore

Reaction score
I like the removable wool vest idea, if warm weather just swap in one of those lightweight nylon ones. If wool fades, easy to replace; think BWB sells separately, which is good, plus there are some other wool vest makers out there. Picked up one of the remaining Beagle cape vests and pairs perfectly w/ Johnson Jac shirt.

Most days use the inexpensive nylon type unless really cold. Hopefully someone can comment on quality of BWB’s newly sourced wool vs Johnson. Latter seems pricey but holds up, am done buying recycled wool variations...

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I’ve got a number of Beagle jackets in varying weights, if I had a choice I would prefer a jacket with a removable orange cape. The density of that wool in the Beagle coats is so nice that I’ll keep buying used ones as long as I can.
Got any patches you can sew over the BWB logo?
I like the looks of that jacket but I’d want to have them available to try on and judge the quality before I shelled out the money for one. Does anyone stock them?

Mikejd

Reaction score
I have been curios about the BWB coat myself. I hate to buy something as important as your coat without trying it on first. I rarely try on an item that is perfect and have ordered to many things through the years that were not right.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I have one of the BWB jackets that Beagle made and it’s nothing like my other Beagle coats, it’s thin, less dense wool and it’s unlined. More like a jac-shirt kind of thing.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I also like the pouch in the back of the beagle coat. I noticed the Johnson doesn't have that. Not sure about the BWB. I've tried on a silent predator coat before. They are nice, but it was two years ago. I didn't have the money, nor the need at the time. I could get away with another couple years with my beagle coat. More I think about it, I'll probably order pants first. My Beagle britches are pretty much done. No holes yet, but I'm one good digger from it.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
There isn’t much that I’d change about those Beagle Benoit coats except for a removable orange cape. They are pretty well designed.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
There isn’t much that I’d change about those Beagle Benoit coats except for a removable orange cape. They are pretty well designed.
I agree...... I like the pocket design, the pouch, the weight is perfect with just a t shirt on under it if not standing too long.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I also like the pouch in the back of the beagle coat. I noticed the Johnson doesn't have that. Not sure about the BWB. I've tried on a silent predator coat before. They are nice, but it was two years ago. I didn't have the money, nor the need at the time. I could get away with another couple years with my beagle coat. More I think about it, I'll probably order pants first. My Beagle britches are pretty much done. No holes yet, but I'm one good digger from it.
I was eyeing the silent predator but when i tried them on I hated them. I actually did not like the wool they used either. It reminded me more like Burlap then good wool. The BWB coat is made by them with different wool I believe.

ahmoore

Reaction score
A while back, someone on here was kind enough to share old Beagle brochure details. Put finger on, didn't key in on before, but the Beagle series states to be made of "Melton 22 oz. wool", the reason for tighter/smoother weave than other wool construction. BWB states 24 oz. pre-shrunk virgin wool. Johnson Jac Shirt appears to be 18 oz. wool. I like the latter, however when comparing to the Beagle Stalker model I picked up used years back, it's not nearly as dense of a wool as the Beagle. The Stalker model (think Extreme model too) has the external zippered game/storage pouch on back. Doesn't appear the Tracker model has the pouch. Stalker has the Gore-Tex like membrane for water/windproof and Extreme has as well plus adds Thinsulate like insulation for warmth. Wish I would have picked up the lighter weight Tracker model way back when, and too bad Beagle didn't stick around as they had a unique, rugged wool design.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I know, I'm always the champion of "good enough" but I actually like LLBean (without windliner). Its definitely not a Beagle but for $100, its pretty damn good.

Mikejd

Reaction score
A while back, someone on here was kind enough to share old Beagle brochure details. Put finger on, didn't key in on before, but the Beagle series states to be made of "Melton 22 oz. wool", the reason for tighter/smoother weave than other wool construction. BWB states 24 oz. pre-shrunk virgin wool. Johnson Jac Shirt appears to be 18 oz. wool. I like the latter, however when comparing to the Beagle Stalker model I picked up used years back, it's not nearly as dense of a wool as the Beagle. The Stalker model (think Extreme model too) has the external zippered game/storage pouch on back. Doesn't appear the Tracker model has the pouch. Stalker has the Gore-Tex like membrane for water/windproof and Extreme has as well plus adds Thinsulate like insulation for warmth. Wish I would have picked up the lighter weight Tracker model way back when, and too bad Beagle didn't stick around as they had a unique, rugged wool design.
I recently sold my tracker coat. Only used a time or 2. Not the Benoit tracker which I would have preferred because that one was waist length.

I picked up a used extreme on here and wore it for the first time this season. Works great for long sits.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Shawn, these coats have the back pocjet and some other pockets the basic coats don’t have. A friend of mine had them make one in red checkers, I think being custom they charged $30 extra. Assuming you could have them add the orange cape.

ahmoore

Reaction score
Mikejd, thanks for mentioning, one like yours in EUC/large is exactly what I’ll keep an eye out for on the used market.

Btw, I take it that you’re clarifying there’s a diff in back length between the regular Tracker and Benoit one. To confirm, which one hangs lower? I’d say my Stalker hangs lower, closer to the bottom of my back pockets (good for sitting) whereas my Johnson Jac Shirt is closer to my waist/belt line which is less bulky and better when on the move.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
For the kind of hunting I like to do, which is on the move, the LLbean jacshirt has served me well. Minus temps up to 40’s and you can stay pretty comfortable. Might be made in Vietnam, but it’s 100% wool and well made.

I checked out Johnson’s similar jacket at Farmway in Bradford VT yesterday and that was pretty nice as well, just a bit higher cost at $190.

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/11175...8Nl6YYgd0i6tgPzpaGQaAgmvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mikejd

Reaction score
Mikejd, thanks for mentioning, one like yours in EUC/large is exactly what I’ll keep an eye out for on the used market.

Btw, I take it that you’re clarifying there’s a diff in back length between the regular Tracker and Benoit one. To confirm, which one hangs lower? I’d say my Stalker hangs lower, closer to the bottom of my back pockets (good for sitting) whereas my Johnson Jac Shirt is closer to my waist/belt line which is less bulky and better when on the move.
The benoit is the shortest at waist length. The rest of them are longer probably bottom of pockets like you say. My Johnson is longer then waist but a little shorter then the beagles. But its nice and light so it just feels right.

As for the LL Bean I bet its good but they can keep there Vietnam made stuff not for me, I wrote them off a long time ago when it got hard to find a USA made product in the catalog. Other then a monogram beach bag.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I made a trip to LL Cote with a friend yesterday. I was able to stay on the Johnson coat that had the orange vest sewn in. It doesn't fit me well. Large is too tight across the shoulders, when I tried on the XL the sleeves are way too long, and the coat hangs a lot lower than my beagle coat (I have the benoit tracker shorter one). I did try on a silent predator and if it had the sewn on vest I would have bought it. A large fit awesome. It's a bit longer than the beagle coat , but not awful. The only thing I can say I'd change is the zipper. It has a double zipper. I'm not sure if that would be an issue with the bottom one working it's way up during the day. If so, that would absolutely piss me off on a snowy or rainy day.

I was hoping Bean's in N. Conway would have the wool jacket I've been looking at on their site,(same one Nate posted) but no dice. Like others said, I have to try it on. I couldn't help but wonder all day, if wool is no longer the New England hunters go to then what the hell are they wearing? Most of the stuff I see at Dick's would be soaked in less than an hour under most conditions. Just don't hunt on bad weather days?

NH Hunter

Reaction score

The Benoit coat is waist level. I believe the original tracker hangs lower.

Latest posts