Woodman arms muzzleloader

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I really want to shoot one of these. It's the only gun right now I can convince myself I "need". I like the ML I have now, but love the hammerless, push button safety.
They are shooters. I've seen one of the guys in our camp shoot a clover leaf at 200 yards with his. He has the .45 caliber version.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
So I mounted and bore sighted a new Leupold 2-7x33 VX Freedom on my new Patriot .50 cal using the Woodman Arms P1 integrated scope mount and rings. Very solid and very easy to install. Last evening I took it out back to my range to see how it would perform. Been shooting 240gr Hornady XTP’s in my NEF Huntsman with great results for years so I started with those over 95gr of Blackhorn and a Federal shotgun primer. First shot at 25 yards was absolutely dead center but when I moved to 100 yards it went to hell. 3 shots were barely in a 6” group so I pulled the breach plug, thoroughly cleaned it and tried again. Same result! Checked the scope mounts and they were all good so she obviously doesn’t like the XTP’s. Buddy was with me and he had a box of TC 250gr Bonded Shockwaves with the yellow Superglide sabots. First shot with those with the same 95gr powder charge was touching the bullseye at 100 yards, second shot was touching it too. Needless to say I’m quite pleased with that result. Once I pick up a box or two I’ll do some more testing with them out to 150 and 200 yards.
Curious why you wouldn't just shoot their recommended in house sabots vs. struggling with something of your own?

lester2

Reaction score
Curious why you wouldn't just shoot their recommended in house sabots vs. struggling with something of your own?
Maybe I missed something but I only saw .45 caliber bullets and sabots on their website, nothing for .50’s.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something but I only saw .45 caliber bullets and sabots on their website, nothing for .50’s.
Interesting. I assumed they made them for both. Apparently that might not be the case. Makes perfect sense why you wouldn't be using them then haha.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Interesting. I assumed they made them for both. Apparently that might not be the case. Makes perfect sense why you wouldn't be using them then haha.
I don’t think they make them at all, I think Fury Custom Bullets probably does. The sabots Woodman is supplying are Crush Rib sabots from Harvester. I’d look on Fury’s.45 bullet page for their Star Tip bullet to use in a .50.

Latest posts