Winter coyote hunting

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
I live outside the Sanford area, and there are few large fields around. I'm new at it, having started last year. I bought some snow camo and a coyote caller. I'm using my Diamondback 5.56 as my "go to" rifle. I got in to it as I've had dogs popping out in to my field in the Summer, and when I'm in bed at night, I can hear them across the river. As to Winter, I haven't seen them, but I've come across a host of tracks down along the river bank. From what I'm reading, best times are in that Feb/March time frame when they're breeding.

Though last year didn't produce anything for me, I like the idea of the challenge. Coyote's are smart, and let's face it, here in Maine, and opposed to say, those states outside of the Northeast seaboard where the land becomes far more open, it is challenging to set up in a wooded area with any hope of success.
I'd like to learn how, others like myself who are relegated to hunting in the woods, set up, and have become successful taking them down. I'm beginning to think that, in able to start seeing them, I may need to start putting out a gut pile. I'm not convinced that a coyote call is going to be enough.

I'd be interested in hearing from successful wood hunters just how you're able to call them in.
Thanks in advance.

mowbizz

Reaction score
If I were going out at night I would take a piece of freezer burned venison (or similar) and nail it to a tree just out of coyote standing reach. They would have to jump at it. The rest is about hiding and staying warm...They find gut piles almost immediately.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I am going up to my camp in 2 weeks to give it a shot. Its not easy at all. I have been trying for about 5 years now. I cant say I take it to serious.
We usually go up with about 8 of us we snow shoe back to camp for the weekend. But this year I put my entire gut pile and all the bones and hide in 2 construction bags
and hoisted it up on the meat pole. When I get there in 2 weeks I will have a nice fresh bait pile. This will be the first time I try baiting.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
Baiting is far more effective up here than calling. I am no expert; but i have called them in and used to get out a fair amount. It is quite an experience to see them come in to a call; but be prepared to put in a lot of stands between sightings. I like to sit at least 45 min. when calling and usually combine coyote sounds with distress.This time of year the coyote sounds work well as they are getting even more territorial. Also... they always circle downwind; sometimes a long ways...so you need to have decent visibility.
When baiting I like to make a coyote popsicle... take whatever your going to use as bait....meat, bones, beaver carcass, fish scraps and put in in a 5 gallon bucket with HOT water....then freeze.The hot water draws out all the blood and goodness. Once its frozen pour some hot water on the bucket to release the popsicle from bucket...then put a block of wood in bottom of bucket and put popsicle back in it until your ready to dump it at bait site. They can't drag it off and they have to work to get the scraps out of it. Once the crows and ravens find it the coyotes aren't far behind!

Last edited:

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
I am going up to my camp in 2 weeks to give it a shot. Its not easy at all. I have been trying for about 5 years now. I cant say I take it to serious.
We usually go up with about 8 of us we snow shoe back to camp for the weekend. But this year I put my entire gut pile and all the bones and hide in 2 construction bags
and hoisted it up on the meat pole. When I get there in 2 weeks I will have a nice fresh bait pile. This will be the first time I try baiting.
Like to know how you make out.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Baiting is far more effective up here than calling. I am no expert; but i have called them in and used to get out a fair amount. It is quite an experience to see them come in to a call; but be prepared to put in a lot of stands between sightings. I like to sit at least 45 min. when calling and usually combine coyote sounds with distress.This time of year the coyote sounds work well as they are getting even more territorial. Also... they always circle downwind; sometimes a long ways...so you need to have decent visibility.
When baiting I like to make a coyote popsicle... take whatever your going to use as bait....meat, bones, beaver carcass, fish scraps and put in in a 5 gallon bucket with HOT water....then freeze.The hot water draws out all the blood and goodness. Once its frozen pour some hot water on the bucket to release the popsicle from bucket...then put a block of wood in bottom of bucket and put popsicle back in it until your ready to dump it at bait site. They can't drag it off and they have to work to get the scraps out of it. Once the crows and ravens find it the coyotes aren't far behind!
You don't have to be specific, but if I could ask, where are you hunting generally? Do you have fields to sit in or are you in the woods?

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
You don't have to be specific, but if I could ask, where are you hunting generally? Do you have fields to sit in or are you in the woods?
Beaver bogs / flowages, fields , gravel pits. In the woods; a tree stand or some sort of topography to steer them in the direction / wind you want them to come into would probably help. I honestly have never tried in thick woods other than in a tree stand a couple times. The last one I called in was on a flowage and it circled downwind of me probably 200+ yards. I just think that in the thicker woods they are going to get around you and bust you more often than not.

Big D

Reaction score
Just seeing this thread. I grew up down that way and hunted coyotes for a bit. We had a lot of success calling. When I say success I mean we were able to get a fair amount of them to come in to the call. Killing them was another story. There was not a lot of open country to get many long shots. We'd call and those suckers would just sneak right in and not offer a shot. I remember one morning we set up on a ridge and starting calling, about 3 minutes in and a great big buck stood up from his bed about 30 yards across from us on a bench in the ridge. Funny shit. And yes we used to deer hunt that area back then. Never seen him before.