Wild Pigs

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a wild pig in NH? I hear the season runs year round. I have found a pig skull with tusks, but never seen one.

mowbizz

Reaction score
The subject of wild pigs/boars in NH has been discussed in the past. The “story” goes that some of the animals held in a high-fence, exclusive hunting club in West central NH escaped when a hurricane took down part of the fence.
That said, I don’t believe anyone, despite great effort to do so, has ever killed one of the boars. Hunters have covered the areas around the club and have seen sign, but to my knowledge, no kills.
Google “Corbin Park” in NH...the state Fish and Game says the “feral swine” are not considered a game animal and that they must be killed only with permission...no open season.

Last edited:

VtPalmaShooter

Reaction score
First of all, they are European Wild Boar which did escape, and continue to occasionally, from Corbin Park headquartered in Croydon.
Over the years many have been shot outside the park by hunters.
The official response from NH Fish & Game is they belong to the Park group, ask them for permission to hunt them. The Park has no legitimate means to capture and return them to the Park area. I've never heard of anyone being told not to shoot one outside the Park area by Park officials. I suspect that after paying crop and property damage claims they are happy to have any escapes shot.
The actual number of boar on the loose outside the Park is very small.

mowbizz

Reaction score
First of all, they are European Wild Boar which did escape, and continue to occasionally, from Corbin Park headquartered in Croydon.
Over the years many have been shot outside the park by hunters.
The official response from NH Fish & Game is they belong to the Park group, ask them for permission to hunt them. The Park has no legitimate means to capture and return them to the Park area. I've never heard of anyone being told not to shoot one outside the Park area by Park officials. I suspect that after paying crop and property damage claims they are happy to have any escapes shot.
The actual number of boar on the loose outside the Park is very small.
Did not know that many were killed by hunters! I would have thought as a hunter, I may have heard that some were in fact killed! Thanks for the info...I do know that the owner of Wildlife Taxidermy Sport shop in Auburn was killed there. Not sure what those circumstances were exactly...I’m sure I can find something on the web.

Because boars and elk are considered the park’s property, if they escape they cannot be killed without permission of Blue Mountain unless the animal is actively doing damage.
Quoted from a newspaper:
Normandeau said there was a time when the state and the park decided it would be easier to let people kill any escaped animals. “But people would put piles of corn outside the fence and cut holes to lure hogs outside and kill them. So we got rid of that law,” he said.

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Did not know that many were killed by hunters! I would have thought as a hunter, I may have heard that some were in fact killed! Thanks for the info...I do know that the owner of Wildlife Taxidermy Sport shop in Auburn was killed there. Not sure what those circumstances were exactly...I’m sure I can find something on the web.

Because boars and elk are considered the park’s property, if they escape they cannot be killed without permission of Blue Mountain unless the animal is actively doing damage.
Quoted from a newspaper:
Normandeau said there was a time when the state and the park decided it would be easier to let people kill any escaped animals. “But people would put piles of corn outside the fence and cut holes to lure hogs outside and kill them. So we got rid of that law,” he said.
There was a time when the fence was getting car jacks put under it and pigs escaping. I know a guy in Sunapee region who shot two in one winter , with many more around the area. I worked for a guy that lives in Croydon who's lawn was destroyed multiple times. I don't think it's nearly the situation it was 15-20 years ago.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
About 12 to 15 years ago there was 2 large mounted boars on the wall of Lewis arms, just to the left as you first walk in. I asked the gunsmith about them, and he had said that he hunted them himself. He said they were both in the area of 400 pounds fd each. Back then I called fish n game about it, and they had said I could hunt them year round, as long as they are outside the fences, but may have to ask permission to be on the park property. However, I'm sure they have traveled and reproduced further out than that property. I did find a skull in Sharon, and have researched reports of their being groups in random areas.

benny8

Reaction score
A number of years ago there was a young man from Croydon using a bumper jack to lift the fence. He ended up getting caught. My brother was the driver education teacher in Newport and heard thru other students about the incidents. We contacted The Blue Mountain Hunting Preserve and asked about hunting the escapees. They gave us permission, but said "make sure you don't shoot anyone's Pot Bellied pig". I couple guys I work with at Ruger have shot escapees. About 20 years ago, my brother and I saw a pair in Cornish while bird hunting. Now a days, they have someone that works on tips from locals to find and dispatch any that have gotten out.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Brad Lewis (Lewis Arms) and the late Bob Proulx (Wildlife Taxidermy) were both members of the park. I suspect that the boar that Brad had in his shop were in fact from the park.

Roger-

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Something tells me that the park has the situation under better control. If you have the urge to shoot a wild pig your best bet is the South.

Latest posts