Who in NH tans Deer hides?

kevin in nh

Reaction score
A buddy had a couple of deer hides done with the fur on and they look and feel great....but they are out of business. Anyone know who does them in the NH Seacoast area?

kevin in nh

Reaction score
Thanks....I called Seacoast Taxidermy $120.....I had heard he stopped doing them....guess I was wrong. He did a Deer for me 21 years ago and it still looks better than ones I got elsewhere that aren't 10 years old. He charges $600 but the difference is night and day. I couldn't afford him for the last 4 mounts. Next good one will go to him!
Thanks One Shot!

outdoorsman

Reaction score
$120 is a very fair price. The longevity and detail of the mount you describe suggest he has his hides commercially tanned. Commercial tanning is a much better tan and last longer.

Jlighty

Reaction score
Maybe we could put together a meet and greet/tanning class with a bunch of folks on here? I'd love to learn.

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
A neighbor of mine does a small butchering business on the side and come fall he has plenty of hides. I also have connections with Folgers Deer cutting and they do a couple thousand deer a year and they wouldn't mind giving some hides away. It can get pretty involved depending on how well you want your hide to come out. I've heard braining them is one of the best ways which I haven't done myself.

SwampSavage

Reaction score
A neighbor of mine does a small butchering business on the side and come fall he has plenty of hides. I also have connections with Folgers Deer cutting and they do a couple thousand deer a year and they wouldn't mind giving some hides away. It can get pretty involved depending on how well you want your hide to come out. I've heard braining them is one of the best ways which I haven't done myself.
Spoke to one of the folger boys today!

OutdoorsmanNH

Reaction score
Great family business they have had going for years. I started bringing my deer to them 25 years ago until I started doing them myself. At one point NH residents couldn't have their deer processed in Maine . They are a good family and treat folks well. I worked with one of the younger sons as well. They allow you to hangout and watch them do your game right there. I've seen some people go and video them as they start cutting. They have a pretty good setup and all the men in the family all work together.
It's a pretty easy job processing your own deer if you have the room. I butcher anywhere from 4-12 depending on what I have for time. I certainly can't go as fast as them boys go but I remove the gray film and ad many tendons and muscle as possible which is time consuming.

SwampSavage

Reaction score
I process all mine myself as well, just know the family well. I did find it funny that one season it was illegal for them to butcher NH deer a few years back seeing as how I've literally watched those same deer swim the river to them in there natural habitat in which they were being banned from being brought from lol! Saw both Keith and Kevin on different job sites this week. Usually see the old man at a summer party every year that happens in the next few weeks and we chat it up. Hope he feels up to attending. He can talk lol!