White Mountain Carbine Question

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Any have or used to have one of these TCs? If so what was your go to load? The person I bought this from had a load and man it is erratic. Any input is appreciated.

41mag

Reaction score
I had one years ago.
I used loose Pyrodex and a TC Maxi ball for a while, then switched to a Maxi Hunter.
Switched it from #11 to musket cap ignition.
Twist was too slow for sabots.
Got sick of trying to get it consistent and a PITA to clean.
Knew a guy who used patched round balls in one and it was super accurate to about 50 yards.
Light and handy to carry, but I dont miss it much.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Yah running 100 grains of pyrodex rs with a round ball and not so impressed. I have maxi balls and hunter I can try but guessing it’s going to be a long process.

41mag

Reaction score
The outstanding memory I have of mine is using an MTM target stand with a sticker that said "DO NOT SHOOT STAND"
with a .50 cal hole thru it.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I have a White Mountain Carbine. I surprised others have had accuracy with pyrodex. I found pyrodex to shoot extremely erratic.

I switched to FFG black powder and found accuracy to improve significantly. A 350 grain maxi hunter in front of 90 grains FFG was the load I found To work best.

Having spoke with a TC dealer from the 90s I leaned many people complained about erratic grouping when shooting pyrodex. Evidently many dealers knew of the issue. He stated it was due to the short barrel.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I have 2 TC White Mountain Carbines . I love those guns . Unfortunately I retired both of them when I bought my TC Encores. But I wont sell them either.

So about the loads . Both guns are 50 caliber.

My 1st one loves 90 grains of Pyrodex by volume being measured with the TC adjustable brass measuring tube . This gun shoots a 350 grain TC Maxi Hunter conical and is a bulls eye machine with that load out to 100 yards.. Killed my biggest buck , a 235 lb 9 point at 65 yards with this gun using that load.

The 2nd one loves 80 grains of Pyrodex using the same brass measure . This gun shoots a 375 grain TC Maxi Ball conical and is dead nuts accurate with this load at 75 yards. I never shot this gun over 75 yards.

The bulls eye I was shooting with both guns is a 3 inch diameter circle . Both guns have fiber optic iron sights .

Both of these guns HATED to shoot Buffalo Bullets and Shock Waves. They were worthless in my White Mountain Carbines. Dont try using the pellets either. Stay with the Pyrodex powder. Is was lucky to keep an 8 inch cirle with the buffalo bullets. The shock waves were horrible just getting them down the barrel . I never tried round balls in either gun. I also had a TC Hawken . The White Mountain Carbines were more accurate than the longer barreled Hawken.
Another relative point for you. Stay with the original TC nipple. I tried the Uncle Mikes Hot nipple . Absolute junk. 3 out of 5 shots had delays. Threw it away and put the original back. Never an issue. I have used the CCI # 11 caps in the white container and another brand ( cant remember the name ) that comes in a red container. I have not had any issue with either one. One is a little deeper and thicker metal than the other. I like the shallower one better because sometimes the longer thicker one gets stuck on the nipple. But I have not had any issues firing with either one

Any other questions just ask away.

Last edited:

Mikejd

Reaction score
I do not have the white mountain hunter but within my crew we have a few different guns but similar.
My dad uses a Pennsylvania hunter carbine that has a 1:66 twist so he has to shoot round balls but 80grains is what it likes. My buddy uses a new englander and that he shoots maxi balls with 80grains also ffg or pyrodex has both been good. I shoot a grey hawk and although it took me a while to figure it out mine also likes 80 or 90 grains with maxi ball or maxi hunter. We all fire a cap before loading. All three guns prefer the dirty barrel of a cap or 2.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
I have 2 TC White Mountain Carbines . I love those guns . Unfortunately I retired both of them when I bought my TC Encores. But I wont sell them either.

So about the loads . Both guns are 50 caliber.

My 1st one loves 90 grains of Pyrodex by volume being measured with the TC adjustable brass measuring tube . This gun shoots a 350 grain TC Maxi Hunter conical and is a bulls eye machine with that load out to 100 yards.. Killed my biggest buck , a 235 lb 9 point at 65 yards with this gun using that load.

The 2nd one loves 80 grains of Pyrodex using the same brass measure . This gun shoots a 375 grain TC Maxi Ball conical and is dead nuts accurate with this load at 75 yards. I never shot this gun over 75 yards.

The bulls eye I was shooting with both guns is a 3 inch diameter circle . Both guns have fiber optic iron sights .

Both of these guns HATED to shoot Buffalo Bullets and Shock Waves. They were worthless in my White Mountain Carbines. Dont try using the pellets either. Stay with the Pyrodex powder. Is was lucky to keep an 8 inch cirle with the buffalo bullets. The shock waves were horrible just getting them down the barrel . I never tried round balls in either gun. I also had a TC Hawken . The White Mountain Carbines were more accurate than the longer barreled Hawken.
Another relative point for you. Stay with the original TC nipple. I tried the Uncle Mikes Hot nipple . Absolute junk. 3 out of 5 shots had delays. Threw it away and put the original back. Never an issue. I have used the CCI # 11 caps in the white container and another brand ( cant remember the name ) that comes in a red container. I have not had any issue with either one. One is a little deeper and thicker metal than the other. I like the shallower one better because sometimes the longer thicker one gets stuck on the nipple. But I have not had any issues firing with either one

Any other questions just ask away.
Thank you! I had thought I would try a 90 grain load. Just haven’t had the time. i think this will be a good winter project.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I have a White Mountain Carbine. I surprised others have had accuracy with pyrodex. I found pyrodex to shoot extremely erratic.

I switched to FFG black powder and found accuracy to improve significantly. A 350 grain maxi hunter in front of 90 grains FFG was the load I found To work best.

Having spoke with a TC dealer from the 90s I leaned many people complained about erratic grouping when shooting pyrodex. Evidently many dealers knew of the issue. He stated it was due to the short barrel.
We used to shoot 90gr of pyro and the 350 maxi hunters with our white mountain carbine too. It shot great for us, but, I haven’t shot it in over 20 years. Still using the infamous MDM Buckwhacka with 90gr and the 295 power belts.

Latest posts