Where are all...

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Myself and three good buddies spent 3 1/2 days up on Moosehead Lake. We rented a camp on Sandy Bay (southern portion). We had a blast. Extreme weather, on Saturday it was -13 F on the ice with -35 F wind chill at 8:00 am. But at least it warmed up to -1 F lol. Fishing was slow during the day, we got 2 decent brook trout on Friday morning, 2 salmon on Saturday (promptly released in the water per regulation), nothing to speak of on Sunday and a handful of small yellow perch mixed in. However, the night time bite on cusk was off the hook! None of us had ever caught cusk before. We would put out six tip-ups every night with glow-sticks duct taped to the flags. What a blast. Between Thrusday, Friday, and Sunday night we managed probably close to 20 cusk. Most were 2 to 3 lbs, but he had a few in the 5 to 7 pound range too. Really good eating!

Saturday in arctic like conditions!

One of the better cusk we caught...

Our half time haul during the Pats game...

Lavman

Reaction score
Lavman

I spend a huge amount of time fishing for smelt just so I can convert them into togue, brook trout, or whitefish poop. My wife won't go at all.

However, if I mention that I'm going on a perch jerk, either yellows or whites, she is all over it. It is a rocking good time.
I am taking my Dad and two oldest up to Grand Isle to jig the yellows tomorrow. Tonight we roll up to Mom & Dad's then shove off from there at O dark thirty to be sitting over fresh holes and watching the sun rise over the big lake. :cool:

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Myself and three good buddies spent 3 1/2 days up on Moosehead Lake. We rented a camp on Sandy Bay (southern portion). We had a blast. Extreme weather, on Saturday it was -13 F on the ice with -35 F wind chill at 8:00 am. But at least it warmed up to -1 F lol. Fishing was slow during the day, we got 2 decent brook trout on Friday morning, 2 salmon on Saturday (promptly released in the water per regulation), nothing to speak of on Sunday and a handful of small yellow perch mixed in. However, the night time bite on cusk was off the hook! None of us had ever caught cusk before. We would put out six tip-ups every night with glow-sticks duct taped to the flags. What a blast. Between Thrusday, Friday, and Sunday night we managed probably close to 20 cusk. Most were 2 to 3 lbs, but he had a few in the 5 to 7 pound range too. Really good eating!

Saturday in arctic like conditions!

One of the better cusk we caught...

Our half time haul during the Pats game...

wow, I've never even seen a cusk before. And I'd never have guessed they were good to eat. What a freaky looking thing.

Paul/NH

Reaction score
Great report with those cusk!! If I lived close to Winni Id run cusk lines for sure! CHOWDAH!

Im hoping to get out most of tomorrow and at least half of Sunday....

I'll try to take some pics!!

Paul

JDK

Reaction score
That is a great mount.

Just read that the winning togue at the Moosehead Derby this weekend was over 20 pounds. Nice fish.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
brought some boys out yesterday. It was pretty slow - just a few hits, but one of the boys that had never ice fished before, and was more excited than anyone I've ever seen just to get out on the ice, was able to pull up a nice pickerel. It was a pretty good day.

Lavman

Reaction score

Lavman

Reaction score
Autumn and I hit our local lake on Valentine's Day for a morning outing. There was about 2' of snow on the ice, had to snowshoe all the way. The sled I built worked perfectly for dragging all the gear, almost effortless! (almost, breaking trail was a bit of a workout). We managed just a few perch and this was first - we each caught a catfish, odd that was

Here is the sled I built just deal with deep snow

upload gambar

Sled loaded up (this was on our way back to the truck)

jpg images

When we got out where we wanted to be I shoveled out an area about the size of a truck to get to bare ice. I suspected that when I drilled our holes the bare ice would flood due to the weight of the snow - which it did (as you can see in the foreground) so we put the snowshoes back on and packed an area to set the tent up then drilled, worked just fine

adult image hosting

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Lav, thats a great sled. We could have used that for sure. We were on the Springfield setback, and the snow was plenty deep there too. It was rough. I had a herd of boys packing down our "deer runs" to the tipups, but otherwise would have needed the shoes.

And you're right, it was really sloppy for us too. It looked like a spring pushing water up through the holes.

Can't wait til next time.

Lavman

Reaction score
Thanks Pete, you've got quite the crew of ambitious anglers there! Very nice! March is coming and those warm and sunny T-shirt days will be upon us :cool:

motogsp

Reaction score
10980740_1077722268920019_7615246634073676393_n[1].jpg

This is one from this past Saturday. It has been a slow season for me but this guy makes it a bit better.