When to start

NHbucktrack19

Reaction score
I love shed hunting. I’m an amateur and only have a handful but I love it. I spend most of the winter and spring looking I use it as next season scouting and learning about deer and everyonce in a while score a bonus of finding one. How early do people start I see online they say after snow melts but I feel that people beat me to them and especially the squirrels and porcupines so when to start?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I found a moose antler on November 20th that had just fallen off, while I was deer hunting. I see them all the time when hunting, but can't carry them around with me all day. lol I have gone back in for some on Sunday's.

NHbucktrack19

Reaction score
I’ve never found moose sheds but I mostly shed hunting the southern portion of the state. We have moose and I see plenty o f moose sign but don’t know where moose bed and shed. I will pay attention to the few cameras I have out but I love walking for sheds so I’m eager to get back in the woods

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
What months do deer shed their antlers?
The northern regions of the whitetails range experience shedding earlier than the Midwest, so around January. The Midwest bucks tend to keep their antlers on until February, while the southern deer might still be rutting depending on the region, dropping their antlers anywhere from February to late march.

Where is the best place to find deer sheds?
Creeks, fences, ditches, roads, and thick overhanging branches are all great places to find sheds hanging around. Often that little jolt or bump is all they need to drop.

Latest posts