What's a shooter to you/Season goals?

Tailfeathers

Reaction score
Hey guys- I'm sure this has been covered before but I was having this conversation with my wife this weekend trying to gauge where she is at and what her goals for the season are. It is always fun to think about so I figured I would throw it out there for others.
Do you set goals/ guidelines for what you would like to hang your tag on? (age, weight, rack etc. ) and how consistent are these goals, do that change throughout the season or from one season to the next?

RememberBaker

Reaction score
My goals have been consistent for a number of years. Kill a mature buck, failing that, kill a mature doe. By mature, I mean no spots.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I shot a small 6 pointer last year with my Muzzle loader, but I tracked it on 1/4 inch of snow for little under a mile. I felt it was a great hunt, and enjoyed every second of it.......other than the realization I was tagged out at that point. I judge a hunt on the story, not what the rack tapes out at.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Any mature buck in rifle season (biggest so far is a 7 point) love to kill a bigger racked buck but I’ll take what comes by my stands. :p
At 72 years old, not too fussy as mobility becomes an issue with each passing season.
I would take an archery doe with the x-bow. No spots!

Pine-lock

Reaction score
I like NH Hunters plan. Hunting to have a good hunt with a good story. A spike horn miles back from the road with a good story is much cooler than a 200 pounder shot while getting out of the truck. I'm in in for the hunts. I'll take them as they come. Some are harder, some are easier. Sometimes the big one shows up, sometimes he wont.
I have a hand full of days to go after bears. Then will get out with my son & Shooterbuck for ducks a few times. Then small game/grouse, all before I even start thinking about deer all that much. Don't go rushing the seasons on me lol.

BobtheBear

Reaction score
I like the " time is a barometer theory".On opening day , I am interested in a full body , freezer stuffing buck.By Thanksgiving , its anything I can make stew out of.I don't worry about antlers as I find them hard to chew and not very tasty.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I think along the lines of NH Hunter and Pine-Lock. I often put more value on the experience, whether it be the adventure of a track or enjoying the hunt with family and friends, than I do the size of the deer. If I were able to take the month of November off I would likely be more particular to prolong the season. I can't say for sure when the time came that I would hold to that, it would boil down to how it all unfolded. I've been fortunate to take some nice bucks over the years, but I wouldn't need a whole hand of fingers to count the ones I've passed either.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Seeing this was posted in the Maine forum then 200+ and hopefully a nice rack! I can fill my freezer in my home state.
Back home I try to target the biggest bucks I have seen or have on camera.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
My goal is the same every season. I want to track a mature buck, and roll him in his bed. It is a lofty goal that has eluded me, but I have come oh so close to achieving it.

As the season gets closer to the end, my focus usually shifts to filling the freezer. We shall see what this season brings.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
If I hunt northern Maine I am looking for something 200lbs or better. If I am hunting around my house I am looking for a racked buck 140-170lbs. Best deer I have on cam so far 8 point maybe 135 pounds. Spikes and does get a pass until the last day.

JJM6

Reaction score
My plan is to fill the freezer in North Carolina then hone my still hunting skills in NH. Hopefully in light snow looking for that buck that tore up a couple of 6” trees last year!

Meatseeker

Reaction score
I'm fine with any legal deer. Between MA and PA I'll have 3 buck tags and 4 doe tags. In MA I can hunt deer from October 4 (beginner of archery in eastern MA) through December 31 (end of muzzleloader). I never really worry about being tagged out and never feel the need to hold out for a bigger one. My motivation to pull the trigger is mostly related to how much meat I have in the freezer and the quality of the experience.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to shoot a monster buck every year, but if my freezer is empty I'm shooting the first legal deer.

ahmoore

Reaction score
Pre-season, sights are on a heavyweight buck w/ dark thick rack to match.

However, after the first day reality quickly sets in, especially areas that once held a little deer sign are completely devoid of such. Each day further without any sightings nor even the joy of finding a petrified pile of droppings, the persistence kicks in to keep at the trial and error game of narrowing locations down to find where the heck has that .5 - 1 deer per square mile gone... After hump day, the old standby "Spikehorn Ridge" starts to sounds better-and-better. However, as always, the quest remains to hold out up until the very end in hopes of getting a crack at the dominant spike that keeps eluding year-after-year...

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I like to fish for brook trout. In VT, a 10" brookie is a good one. I had a good friend (COVID got him last winter) that lived in Ohio and couldn't understand why I'd put so much effort into "catching bait". But it really doesn't have a lot to do with the fish itself, instead having more to do with the places I catch them. I love those remote areas for both fish and deer. Like the others, finding one off in some wild place makes the size almost irrelevant. My priorities are:

1. A successful youth weekend
2. Finding a buck on a wild adventure in a wild remote place
3. As the season wears on, if #1 above didn't work out, meaning my freezer is low, my standards drop significantly.

Big D

Reaction score
Like others have said, It's really about the adventure for me. I've been trying for a while to top 200 lbs and eaten a lot of tags unfortunately. Still have a ton of fun with nothing to show for it. Maybe this year I'll have some adventures and shoot any old deer. Preferably on the last day.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I like to fish for brook trout. In VT, a 10" brookie is a good one. I had a good friend (COVID got him last winter) that lived in Ohio and couldn't understand why I'd put so much effort into "catching bait". But it really doesn't have a lot to do with the fish itself, instead having more to do with the places I catch them. I love those remote areas for both fish and deer. Like the others, finding one off in some wild place makes the size almost irrelevant. My priorities are:

1. A successful youth weekend
2. Finding a buck on a wild adventure in a wild remote place
3. As the season wears on, if #1 above didn't work out, meaning my freezer is low, my standards drop significantly.
Brook trout very rarely take you to a place that isn't just absolutely beautiful. I One million percent agree with your post.

Latest posts