What would you do different?

groundtender

Reaction score
One thing most of us do is take our health for granted. I know I have and it’s csugh up to me the past couple years.

I hope 2020 is a much better year for you Keith and that you get some of your hearing back with an implant. My boss has one and does well.
At 68 I am telling you guys that still have knees, you keep up the ridgerunning as long and as much as possible. Browseline should inspire you all. I actually enjoy sitting in blinds or even some roadhunting now, but sure miss striking out and putting some miles behind me on foot.

UltraTec

Reaction score
A little update on my hearing. I elected to go with a bone anchored hearing implant to try to get some hearing back. Bone anchored devices have been around for a long time, but as luck would have it the FDA approved a brand new one in December. I was originally supposed to have surgery in mid-March, but y'all know what happened there...
So I didn't actually have the implant placed until June 19. The surgery involved screwing a post into my skull behind the right (deaf) ear. attached to the post (under the skin) is a piezoelectric transducer about the size of a stick of gum. This piece enhances and intensifies sounds and then passes them on through the post in my skull. the sound then travels through my skull to the left inner ear (my good ear) allowing me to capture sound on my right side, but hear it on my left. This is essential because my right inner ear is basically dead, the auditory nerve decided to go out of warranty on me...
On the outside I wear a microphone on the side of my head that attaches via strong magnet to the internal transducer.
So 5 weeks after surgery I was healed up enough to have everything activated. The effect was immediate and I would venture to say I have a 50-6-% improvement in hearing. It is going to take some tweaking of settings, etc to get improvement in all situations but I am so glad that I went this route.
Pictures below show the whole system, (post, transducer, external microphone) and the mic mounted on my head.
And yes....you can stick paper clips to my skull...

Attachments

NH Hunter

Reaction score
A little update on my hearing. I elected to go with a bone anchored hearing implant to try to get some hearing back. Bone anchored devices have been around for a long time, but as luck would have it the FDA approved a brand new one in December. I was originally supposed to have surgery in mid-March, but y'all know what happened there...
So I didn't actually have the implant placed until June 19. The surgery involved screwing a post into my skull behind the right (deaf) ear. attached to the post (under the skin) is a piezoelectric transducer about the size of a stick of gum. This piece enhances and intensifies sounds and then passes them on through the post in my skull. the sound then travels through my skull to the left inner ear (my good ear) allowing me to capture sound on my right side, but hear it on my left. This is essential because my right inner ear is basically dead, the auditory nerve decided to go out of warranty on me...
On the outside I wear a microphone on the side of my head that attaches via strong magnet to the internal transducer.
So 5 weeks after surgery I was healed up enough to have everything activated. The effect was immediate and I would venture to say I have a 50-6-% improvement in hearing. It is going to take some tweaking of settings, etc to get improvement in all situations but I am so glad that I went this route.
Pictures below show the whole system, (post, transducer, external microphone) and the mic mounted on my head.
And yes....you can stick paper clips to my skull...
Keith,

I'm very happy for you that you've found some sort of success. Skill saws, nail guns, compressors , etc have made my hearing not what it once was. I absolutely understand the frustration of asking "what"? or being in a crowed restaurant just nodding because you have no idea what's being said. Bet you can't wait to try that out next spring on a roosted gobbler!!

Reaction score
Glad to hear this is working out for you UT. Hopefully you'll post again later on for a final update.

Mountain Tales

Reaction score
I am new here and chiming in even tho this was from last december.There have been several responses regarding chains. Ive gone off the slippery logging roads several times and couple other close calls. Im sick of it. What do people recommemd for tire chains that wont break the bank. Im looking at the security chains on amazon. Nothing but great reviews.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I am new here and chiming in even tho this was from last december.There have been several responses regarding chains. Ive gone off the slippery logging roads several times and couple other close calls. Im sick of it. What do people recommemd for tire chains that wont break the bank. Im looking at the security chains on amazon. Nothing but great reviews.
We use these with the cam locks. Worked great. Had them on all 4 tires last season, back in the Maine woods. Not sure what brand they are but they have the cam locks. Easy to put on.https://www.amazon.com/Security-Cha...hains+for+pickup+trucks&qid=1599312905&sr=8-7

Mountain Tales

Reaction score
Hey thanks. Those are the ones i added in my cart. Wasnt sure if i should go with those or the ones with the v bar. So you had success with these?

Mountain Tales

Reaction score
Oh nice.. im going all out.. getting for all 4. Not risking it. I hunt alot on my own in remote areas with slippery steep areas so id rather be safe than sorry

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh nice.. im going all out.. getting for all 4. Not risking it. I hunt alot on my own in remote areas with slippery steep areas so id rather be safe than sorry
Yes, that's where they are really good, hard pack ice or hills with ice underneath and snow on top. I think you can do without them in deep snow with no ice. They tend to dig in deep snow instead of riding on top without them.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Reference that hill in the picture I posted. A friend came to our camp with studded snow tires and we had to pull him up the hill. Was not able to get up the hill(hard pack ice, and loose snow). The truck is like a skidder with all 4 tires chained up. lol

Mountain Tales

Reaction score
Yeah, exactly. Thats where i run into trouble. That packed sheet of snow forming ice or freezing rain on those damn roads. I have had many days of white knuckles and i think is a deer worth this and say yes, and then my next thought is, look you dumbass buy some chains. I was heading down a steep mountain one time and truck turned sideways then backwards and i was heading down towards the river bridge at tge bottom with steep bank and a cliff on one side of the hill as i was going down. I thought i was a goner

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, exactly. Thats where i run into trouble. That packed sheet of snow forming ice or freezing rain on those damn roads. I have had many days of white knuckles and i think is a deer worth this and say yes, and then my next thought is, look you dumbass buy some chains. I was heading down a steep mountain one time and truck turned sideways then backwards and i was heading down towards the river bridge at tge bottom with steep bank and a cliff on one side of the hill as i was going down. I thought i was a goner
Reminds me of the time my friend passed the salt truck on a state highway, near our turnoff and went off the road, up an embankment, into a ditch and nearly into the river. The salt truck guy stopped and asked if we were OK. Luckily we were able to continue the trip with a crooked steering wheel. lol I drove from there. :)

I usually only go up on my remote Maine hunt for a week or maybe two. Never really needed them much, but the last two years have been brutal with deep snow and ice.

silver belly62

Reaction score
Need to get a new set of chains myself. Anyone on here use the "V" bar chains ? Was wondering how they are compared to the regular style

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Need to get a new set of chains myself. Anyone on here use the "V" bar chains ? Was wondering how they are compared to the regular style
I have the v-bar and they work very well, and easy to put on with the cam locks. No experience with regular non v-bar chains to compare to though.

Latest posts