What would you do different?

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Even with just snow, enough back and forth travel will turn the ruts icy, especially if things warm up a bit in the day. With proper tensioners and adjusting, I can get chain pretty snug on my tires and easily do 30mph safely.

The first time you slide down a tote road sideways with the dark waters of one of those cold brooks and narrow bridges staring back at you, you’ll go buy a set.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’ve driven a half ton with studded tires and it’s a game changer. On ice you feel invincible, but after a couple years they loose their effectiveness severely. What I like about chains is that snow that gets a little crust then is all sugary underneath with an ice base. During ML season here I was dead in the water a few times with AT tires on no more than 8 or do inches of snow with a little incline.

I’m going to run up to Jackman Napa today and buy a set of chains. Can’t get around looking for birds or moose right now in the truck and it’s pretty thin for the sleds.

medrhunter

Reaction score
What LB said. Just do that. If you are on a road requiring chains, 30MPH is more than enough
Not looking for speed, still like my truck.
Just looking at options for ice and deeper snow both on paved roads and back roads

I only use the tires I run in Maine up there. No need in NJ
Sounds like I'll stud them and carry a set of vchains

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread today while bird hunting. I’m really starting to relike the second week of rifle season. I may take some time and hunt that

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I’ve driven a half ton with studded tires and it’s a game changer. On ice you feel invincible, but after a couple years they loose their effectiveness severely. What I like about chains is that snow that gets a little crust then is all sugary underneath with an ice base. During ML season here I was dead in the water a few times with AT tires on no more than 8 or do inches of snow with a little incline.

I’m going to run up to Jackman Napa today and buy a set of chains. Can’t get around looking for birds or moose right now in the truck and it’s pretty thin for the sleds.
You’ll pay at least double for a set at Napa.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
They are like $100 and the only place to get them within an hour drive! I may hold off as I got around with the snowmobile fine today. 50 miles, not one shed or bird to be seen.
$100 is good. I was thinking more like $200, which is what I was quoted at Napa When looking for chains in Colorado this fall.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Some of you mentioned working on the pipeline. I put a screw in a maple tree the other day to hold my pack and had a lot of sap running out. NJ.

UltraTec

Reaction score
Ugh. I just hope my entire year works out better in 2020.
I started out 2019 by rupturing my right bicep tendon on Jan 2nd.
Complete tear that I elected not to have repaired, primarily due to the fact that I would have been out of work for 8-12 weeks and do not have short-term disability.
I was also right in the middle of building a 1200 square foot addition on my house, along with a 900 sq ft garage. I couldn't be out of commission for that long.
So I have a significant loss of function in my dominant arm that will probably necessitate a move to a crossbow someday.
That wasn't even the worst health issue of the year.
On May 28th I spontaneously lost all hearing in my right ear. Hearing was fine 1 minute, Then BAM. 100% hear loss on one side.
After a couple days in the hospital and every test known to man, I have SSHL. Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss.
Completely idiopathic. They have no idea what causes it.
I went through a bunch of treatments to try to salvage something, to no avail. 100% permanent and total loss in that ear.
Looking at a surgical implant coming up in the next couple months that will give me a little bit of hearing back.
The worst part of it is that I will never have directional hearing again. Can't tell where a turkey gobble is coming from or which direction a deer is approaching from....ugh
Hell I can't even tell where my cell phone is ringing....

So I'm approaching this year cautiously....hoping nothing else happens.

Getting old sucks.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear UltraTec. Same thing happened to my wife. Bent down for something and lost hearing in her ear. She has buzzing in the ear though. Tried a bunch of things, but the only solution was an implant, which she does not want yet.
Wishing you better luck in the New Year.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Complete tear that I elected not to have repaired, primarily due to the fact that I would have been out of work for 8-12 weeks and do not have short-term disability.
I was also right in the middle of building a 1200 square foot addition on my house, along with a 900 sq ft garage. I couldn't be out of commission for that long.
So I have a significant loss of function in my dominant arm that will probably necessitate a move to a crossbow someday.
On May 28th I spontaneously lost all hearing in my right ear. Hearing was fine 1 minute, Then BAM. 100% hear loss on one side.
After a couple days in the hospital and every test known to man, I have SSHL. Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss.
I went through a bunch of treatments to try to salvage something, to no avail. 100% permanent and total loss in that ear.
Looking at a surgical implant coming up in the next couple months that will give me a little bit of hearing back.
The worst part of it is that I will never have directional hearing again. Can't tell where a turkey gobble is coming from or which direction a deer is approaching from....ugh

Getting old sucks.
Jesus Keith...here's to a better 2020!

NH Hunter

Reaction score

Getting old sucks.

So sorry you had such a suck year. Hope this one is better for you.

Grandkid

Reaction score
As most of you know I had a great experience in Maine this season. Looking for a bigger buck in 2020. Also burned plenty of miles tracking in NH. Learned plenty and got close a couple of times on noisy snow. Would not have changed anything in 2019.

Roger-

Browseline

Reaction score

Getting old sucks.
Not a good year for you physically, but I did follow your progress on the new addition and garage on Facebook. You have a very nice home. It must have been exciting for you and your family when you finished it. I am always interested in what people build and how they do it.

JDK

Reaction score
Wow. I do hope 2020 is a better year for you health wise.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
One thing most of us do is take our health for granted. I know I have and it’s csugh up to me the past couple years.

Getting old sucks.
I hope 2020 is a much better year for you Keith and that you get some of your hearing back with an implant. My boss has one and does well.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
One thing most of us do is take our health for granted. I know I have in the past and had some health issues the past couple years. I now go by the saying that “every day is a blessing. Just some days are better than others. “

Stay positive and safe in 2020.

Latest posts