What would you do different?

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I wish I could stay off the trigger a bit more...I did pass 4 Maine bucks...but then came across a really decent 8 point...friggin thing just walked right into me and stood 75 yds...very respectable buck....but I knew as I steadied the crosshairs that I could do better with 8 days left in the season, but all of a sudden i heard POW!!! my damn rifle went off....I felt happy and saitisfied but still feel I could have slammed a cocker....I blame Lucky...
I’ve had that happen myself. Was thinking about passing but the carbine spoke for itself and the next thing you know I’m tagged out. Nice job btw!

Big D

Reaction score
Gear- No real changes. I'm a wool/muck boots guy. Have been forever. It works.

Like a few others I still should get some chains. There's been times the past few years I could have used them. No incidents but I'm probably on borrowed time there going some places I go. I did grab a set from the camp shed for my ride out thanksgiving day. Lots of snow with solid ice underneath. They were the heavy v-bar type that the guys order from Napa. They did smack a little bit on my mud flaps on occasion though. Dinged up the plastic a little bit and could not get them any tighter than they were.

Like mbVT said, I could benefit from staying in one area for the 2 weeks I have. I end up in 2 very different areas and feel almost as if I'm starting over for the last week. My spots from over the years usually pan out though and I'm in the game at least. Would be a tough choice to make though. Good crews in both places and usually a lot of fun. I'd be partial to NMW's though.

Good year.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I think I am finally at a happy spot gear wise. I need a new pair of wool pants for next season. I bought a pair of vortex diamondback HD 8X32 to use while stillhunting that I have been very happy with. The X-bolt in 7mm-08 is a real shooter. I may be having the stocks on both the X-bolt and the Savage 220 cut down though...both of them feel just a little long when wearing a hunting coat. They are both just a little longer than my T/C Omega X7 and A-Bolt Micro Hunter which are both very comfortable pulling up on a deer

groundtender

Reaction score
Try putting suspenders on the pack. That's what I do and you don't even know it's there.
I have one that has one padded shoulder strap which can be worn either side. I shoot lefty, so I wear it on the right. I like it very much. Bought it at Beans 20 years ago. But I am sure the suspendered ones are nice too.

medrhunter

Reaction score
First new thing we did this year was we got 6 of us in 1 cabin.
So much fun.
We already gave a deposit on same place for 2020

Changes would be to dress down some more.
I've had really bad frost bite and I can't afford to get cold again so I'm always overdressed especially on the feet.
So lighter boots and socks, smaller fanny pack.
April/May scouting has always been a goal, I get an extra week of PTO this year so maybe.

Some type of ice traction for the Tundra like others have mentioned.
Had a nail biter incident this year on a large ice covered hill with steep sides, curve at the bottom.
We are 12 - 20 miles from where we hunt so chains would make for a long ride, but beats the alternative
My tires are studable so thats an option too. Anyone with experience with studs? Illegal in NJ.

Lastly don't buy so much food!
We always chuck out so much at end of week

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Some type of ice traction for the Tundra like others have mentioned.
Had a nail biter incident this year on a large ice covered hill with steep sides, curve at the bottom.
We are 12 - 20 miles from where we hunt so chains would make for a long ride, but beats the alternative
How fast do you have to go? All snow covered? We do 30 with chains on all 4 tires. Don't know how fast you can go with them on. 30 on the straightaways is fast enough for the small roads we are on.

groundtender

Reaction score
How fast do you have to go? All snow covered? We do 30 with chains on all 4 tires. Don't know how fast you can go with them on. 30 on the straightaways is fast enough for the small roads we are on.
What LB said. Just do that. If you are on a road requiring chains, 30MPH is more than enough

Browseline

Reaction score
I know the owners manuals for Toyota, Ford, Chevrolet and Gm say not to use chains on the front tires of their 4 wheel drive pickup trucks, probably to cover themselves. I know some people do and haven't had any problems yet. What type of chains do you use that you are not concerned with them getting tangled up with cables, drive train and suspension parts?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I know the owners manuals for Toyota, Ford, Chevrolet and Gm say not to use chains on the front tires of their 4 wheel drive pickup trucks, probably to cover themselves. I know some people do and haven't had any problems yet. What type of chains do you use that you are not concerned with them getting tangled up with cables, drive train and suspension parts?
Not sure if these are the exact same ones, but they look the same. He has a Ram 2500. I didn't see any issues with any clearances. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chain...DvGNZ0PzPuQ_RKYnhtFEkqywrLYN9rFhoC8voQAvD_BwE

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I think we are finding that chains are really good for icy or slippery hard packed surfaces. On loose, deep snow, you may do better with larger tires and a vehicle with a lot of clearance and no chains. Opinions?

Browseline

Reaction score

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I need to buy a pair. I thought the snow of 2018 was a fluke, but it happened again this fall. Before then we never had snow like that during the season except once and that was over 30 years ago.
Last year we had chains only on the rear, which was OK. This year we got them for the front also. Steering was much better.

Browseline

Reaction score
I still think in just snow you do fine with regular snow tires, but on ice and slippery the chains really are useful.
Like you said, we can go in a lot of snow without chains most places. Where we had trouble was getting up some of the mountains on side roads. There are some very steep mountains in the areas we hunt. We hunted up around St Francis and Allagash one year, right up against the Canadian border. It was a pleasure to hunt as it is relatively flat compared to where we hunt in Western Maine.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Like you said, we can go in a lot of snow without chains most places. Where we had trouble was getting up some of the mountains on side roads. There are some very steep mountains in the areas we hunt. We hunted up around St Francis and Allagash one year, right up against the Canadian border. It was a pleasure to hunt as it is relatively flat compared to where we hunt in Western Maine.
They definitely give you great traction on hills. We pulled a guy with a GMC and studded snow tires up a small hill that he was stuck on. His tires were just spinning on the ice and snow. We had no problems at all on the same hill with the chains.

Latest posts