What would you do different?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Last year I picked up a Primos big game vest to try, which I cut the stupid strap buckles off the back and also cut off that fold out plastic seat, and has been great so far. Have things finally organized for what I need without having to carry a pack or other type pouch, made things a lot lighter and more mobile. Just wish it would be made out of a light wool fabric.
That's the vest I bought for my son to use this year up there. Worked well. I like mine better with the large game pouch that goes all the way from the front sides to the rear. I throw my all my stuff in the back pouch and I can reach in from the left or right sides to get it out. I have sandwich, gatorade, protein bars, apple, saw, drag rope, and seat pad back there. Never have to take it off to get anything. Sometimes I throw a rolled up down vest in there. Nice, when you decide to sit for an hour or two after walking.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Feel like gear is pretty well set - other than tire chains (which I've talked about for 3 years now...)
I sometimes think I should settle in Maine or NH for a couple straight weeks, rather than bounce around with it open ended- some of that is related to the fact that we've had good snow the last couple years. It wasn't that long ago that we had a couple bare ground years. I feel like extra time would lead to encounters with some of the bigger bucks around. I get too antsy with just a week- pretty happy, but I can imagine if you were spending a month somewhere, you'd end up being pretty picky.
A little more summer scouting to expand knowledge on some of the road systems I worked my way into last season, etc will be helpful in 2020.

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Have you used those chains? Feel like I would like a set in the truck but don’t want junk. How universal are they, if I get a different vehicle do they have some adjustability from say a 265 to 285 in the same wheel size?

groundtender

Reaction score
Have you used those chains? Feel like I would like a set in the truck but don’t want junk. How universal are they, if I get a different vehicle do they have some adjustability from say a 265 to 285 in the same wheel size?
I have not yet used these yet. I did have a similar pair ( read: most likely made in China) that I got at Sam’s for similar price. Those were for my old Tundra w/ 16” wheels. I used them fairly often, but never on pavement, and never much over 25 mph. I also will add that I carried lengths of bungee cord that I used for taking up slack. Before I ordered these I went to the Security Chain website to determine just which model # to get to fit the 275/65 18 tires on the new truck.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I run the v bar chains on my tundra and happy with them. They are pretty adjustable width and height wise, so I’d think you would be ok. At the end of the day, you get into a mess way back in in 4wd, you put on chains and you’ll get out. So worth it.

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Feel like gear is pretty well set - other than tire chains (which I've talked about for 3 years now...)
I sometimes think I should settle in Maine or NH for a couple straight weeks, rather than bounce around with it open ended- some of that is related to the fact that we've had good snow the last couple years. It wasn't that long ago that we had a couple bare ground years. I feel like extra time would lead to encounters with some of the bigger bucks around. I get too antsy with just a week- pretty happy, but I can imagine if you were spending a month somewhere, you'd end up being pretty picky.
A little more summer scouting to expand knowledge on some of the road systems I worked my way into last season, etc will be helpful in 2020.
This was the first year in awhile I didn’t have a year round camp rental in Jackman and I felt it a bit. I felt that I was more just trying to get lucky finding a pocket of deer or cruising buck. In prior years having a pulse on things, taking a walk here or there, knowing where they are cutting, felt good. The big thing was going up opening day and then the next weekend and having some boot time before going up for the week. Didn’t happen this year, so it felt like I spent half the week scouting and checking spots.

As for everything else, I had a really fun week with the guys, saw some great stuff in the woods. No changes in gear, but will be buying another set of those darn tough socks. Wow, those are good.

Found a few good new spots, have a couple I didn’t get to.

Probably wouldn’t have done much different except the 2nd week this year proved to be a better one than the third. Moderate snow, fresh dusting overnight, no crust and guys said the bucks swings were relatively short. Of the 3 guys I know that got 200 pounders they said they caught up to them fairly easily. Of course next year the second week could be 50 degrees.

Last edited:

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Generally very happy with this past season. I guess I'm going to:

Get into far better shape. Far better.

Hunt a different state...it is going to happen in 2020.

Sadly, a new (to me) truck.

Consolidate firearms to a 308 and 35 Remington.
So Whatcha selling? Feel free to message me so I can get the inside edge.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I run the v bar chains on my tundra and happy with them. They are pretty adjustable width and height wise, so I’d think you would be ok. At the end of the day, you get into a mess way back in in 4wd, you put on chains and you’ll get out. So worth it.
I have the v bar chains for my Tundra as well. I put them on twice this last year. I wouldn’t have gotten in or out of there without them those days. Too bad the deer had all left those places!!

The chains were the last purchase I made to top off the “oh-shit kit”. DC compressor, tire plug kit, straps, comealong, battery booster, misc tools, first aid kit, etc. Only change I’m considering is getting a battery powered chainsaw so I can leave the Jonsered at home.

JDK

Reaction score
So Whatcha selling? Feel free to message me so I can get the inside edge.
sons and grandsons get first dibs but most likely a 7600 carbine, Savage 1899, TC Hawkin and Renegade, and some other things I don’t use

lester2

Reaction score
First, practice shooting more in the off season. On 3 different occasions this year I “short stroked” my 7600. Once on a deer, once on a bear and once on a coyote. Not a good thing to hear a click instead of a bang when you’ve got an animal in the scope. Next, new scopes, leupold 2x7 freedoms, on the 7600, muzzleloader, and rifled barrel shotgun. As I approach 60 clear bright glass with higher magnification means more to me than the ability to get on target fast as I sit or stand a lot more than I used to. I’m also going to change the way I have my guns sighted in. My whole life I’ve done the 2-3” high at 100 yards thing with all my hunting firearms and every deer I hit, is hit high. This year I missed a 80-90 yard chip shot at a walking buck in NH, shot over it, and in MA I knocked down a buck with my shotgun but the hit was high and never recovered it. Finally, after the ride home from MA that evening with my hunting partner giving me the gears about using a 20 gauge vs a 12 gauge, and how we’d probly have that buck in the truck had I been shooting a 12, I went out and picked up a 12 gauge 870 with cantilever rifled barrel.
It was a great season, 4 states, many friends and memories. Thankful that I can take the fall months off and that I have a wife who understands that it’s what I do!

lester2

Reaction score
One more thing I forgot to mention. I trimmed down what I carry so that everything fits in jacket, vest or pants pockets. No more belt pack and what a big difference that made n my lower back...

willy13

Reaction score
I wish I could stay off the trigger a bit more...I did pass 4 Maine bucks...but then came across a really decent 8 point...friggin thing just walked right into me and stood 75 yds...very respectable buck....but I knew as I steadied the crosshairs that I could do better with 8 days left in the season, but all of a sudden i heard POW!!! my damn rifle went off....I felt happy and saitisfied but still feel I could have slammed a cocker....I blame Lucky...

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I wish I could get on the trigger a little more (sorry Willy). So to do that I am looking at three options for next year; (i) increase my time up in Maine, (ii) hunt some time down here in NJ (in addition to ME), (iii) just get to the shooting range more often.
In addition, while I ramp up a pretty good workout regimen each year for hunting season, I am going to stay in better shape throughout the year. I find that in my last few months I spend a lot of time just trying to lose 10-15 lbs.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
One more thing I forgot to mention. I trimmed down what I carry so that everything fits in jacket, vest or pants pockets. No more belt pack and what a big difference that made n my lower back...
I'd like to do that next year. My BWB pack wears on me after a day of tracking.

Latest posts