What scope/base/rings for Tikka t3X lite in .30-06

AMT1379

Reaction score
Got a good deal on a new LH rifle. Now I need to outfit it with optics. Any recommendations? I am not doing much shooting over 200 yards. I've had good luck with the Leupold scopes in the past, but open to any reasonable option. Trying to keep the cost under $500 for the scope/base/rings.

silver belly62

Reaction score
I've mostly used all Leupold for most of my rifles but have some Redfield and two Burris that have been fine also. Used a set of the DNZ mounts for the first time last year on a Browning bolt and liked them

Last edited:

hammertime

Reaction score
I bought a Leupold vx3i 2.5-8X36 with nice rings today at Cabelas for $400. I brought in an old scope and got $50 off as part of their scope trade in event. I think it goes until 8-25-19. I think that same scope or 3-9X40 is about perfect for deer hunting at those ranges

Igloo

Reaction score
Make sure you insist on a left-handed scope. Don't let them try to sell you a right-handed scope just because its all they have in stock!

Anyway, my Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter came with a Nikon scope. It wasn't labeled, but I understand that its their basic Prostaff scope.

Compared to the other "package rifle" scopes I've used (Bushnell and Weaver), it is actually quite good. Its a 3x-9x 40mm in a 1" tube. No parallax adjustment; I think its set to 100 yards, but it seems to focus pretty well at all ranges. Pretty clear image too - I've shot a few bears at dusk with it. These types of scopes retail around $100.

If you want something fancier, especially for bear, might I recommend the Vortex Strike Eagle III? I put it on my .338 Federal after removing the Bushnell DOA scope (which now sits atop my .243 whose worthless Weaver scope finally crapped out). Its on 30mm rings, with 3-18x magnification and a lighted reticle (for bears, this helps a lot). It has a 44mm bell, slightly larger than the 40mm I replaced, but it clears the rifle even using the lowest rings. I can't remember the scope rings I used, but they had three screws per side, not one like the cheapies.

AMT1379

Reaction score
Make sure you insist on a left-handed scope. Don't let them try to sell you a right-handed scope just because its all they have in stock!

Anyway, my Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter came with a Nikon scope. It wasn't labeled, but I understand that its their basic Prostaff scope.

Compared to the other "package rifle" scopes I've used (Bushnell and Weaver), it is actually quite good. Its a 3x-9x 40mm in a 1" tube. No parallax adjustment; I think its set to 100 yards, but it seems to focus pretty well at all ranges. Pretty clear image too - I've shot a few bears at dusk with it. These types of scopes retail around $100.
My Savage 111 package came with that same Nikon and I like it as well. I never knew they made LH scopes!

Last edited:

Igloo

Reaction score
I never knew they made LH scopes!
That's why you ALWAYS deal with someone you can trust!

I bought a Bushnell Banner lighted reticle scope for $35 last year. Didn't trust it on my primary hunting rig, so I put it on my AR-15. I'm pretty happy with it, but I can't speak to how well it would take the pounding. If it does, I would recommend it as well.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Those Tikkas are nice rifles. Us lefties don't have a lot of options. I just bought a LH Browning X-bolt in 7mm-08 and topped it with Talley integrated Rings/Bases and a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10X40. Very happy with the setup.

Igloo

Reaction score
Those Tikkas are nice rifles. Us lefties don't have a lot of options. I just bought a LH Browning X-bolt in 7mm-08 and topped it with Talley integrated Rings/Bases and a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10X40. Very happy with the setup.
Someone has too much money!

If you ever want to lower yourself to the rest of us, Savage makes almost all of their rifles in left-handed versions. (Don't know about the scopes, though).

What do you plan to hunt with 7mm-08? How do you like the cartridge?

Browseline

Reaction score

If you want something fancier, especially for bear, might I recommend the Vortex Strike Eagle III? I put it on my .338 Federal after removing the Bushnell DOA scope (which now sits atop my .243 whose worthless Weaver scope finally crapped out). Its on 30mm rings, with 3-18x magnification and a lighted reticle (for bears, this helps a lot). It has a 44mm bell, slightly larger than the 40mm I replaced, but it clears the rifle even using the lowest rings. I can't remember the scope rings I used, but they had three screws per side, not one like the cheapies.
A fellow I hunt with has a left handed A-bolt. He bought a left handed scope for it and installed a left handed trigger. He reloads his ammo and last year he switched to left handed bullets but continues to use right handed primers and casings. It is a very accurate rifle.

Igloo

Reaction score
A fellow I hunt with has a left handed A-bolt. He bought a left handed scope for it and installed a left handed trigger. He reloads his ammo and last year he switched to left handed bullets but continues to use right handed primers and casings. It is a very accurate rifle.
I certainly hope he also took the time to have the rifling reversed.

JDK

Reaction score

I believe it would be difficult to beat Shawn's set-up.

That said you might also consider going with a picatinny or Weaver rail as it opens up a whole host of mounting options. Ugly as sin, my opinion, but very versatile. I put a wever rail on a Savage. Cheap but solid.

I recently purchased a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 and would give it high ratings. The eye relief is better than advertised, tracks well, and has maintained zero thus far in about 400 rounds. I paid $150ish for it and now see them in the $180 range. I personally think they are the best bang for the buck in that price range. The Fullfield II are also getting very high ratings on the web and a scope that I certainly would consider in the $200ish range.

All of that said, my next and last scope will be a fixed 6x, either Leupold or Meopta. The Meopro has really caught my eye but the price has skyrocketed the last few years. Every once in a while you will see them in the $400 range. I plan to get rid of almost everything I have, slap that on my 308, and be done. Bullet proof and usable at the ranges I hunt at.

Last edited:

Igloo

Reaction score
I plan to get rid of almost everything I have, slap that on my 308, and be done. Bullet proof and usable at the ranges I hunt at.
I'm still in that "Variety is the spice" mode. Have four hunting rifles in three calibers. The shorter .243 is for the kids and the .338 Federal is for the bigger bleeding bruin boreholes.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
:D

JDK

Reaction score
I should mention that the last set of rings I bought.....to go along with the weaver rail were Weaver Grand Slam. They seem to be pretty rugged and not overly expensive.

Last edited:

Igloo

Reaction score
I should mention that the last set of rings I bought.....to go along with the weaver rail were Weaver Grand Slam. They seem to be pretty rugged and not overly expensive.
I'm a little soured on Weaver right now. The scope that decided to die right before bear season was a Weaver. Granted, I think it was about the cheapest scope they've ever made, but still.

Not too sure about it's Bushnell replacement either, but it looks much better, even when the Weaver was new it had a dark off-color image.

JDK

Reaction score
I don't know what Weaver you have but the K4 is a decent scope for the money. Too bad they have been discontinued The Kaspa that came with a lot of combinations are junk.

Spend the money on decent glass and it pays itself back.

Igloo

Reaction score
I don't know what Weaver you have but the K4 is a decent scope for the money. Too bad they have been discontinued The Kaspa that came with a lot of combinations are junk.

Spend the money on decent glass and it pays itself back.
Well said. The Vortex I have atop my .338 Federal is a fine cub slayer. Might upgrade the .308 next year, but that Nikon is holding up well.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
In the old days they would tie your left hand behind your back so you started using the correct hand. I guess times really are a changing.