What rifle will you be using this year?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Well now that it is 2021, I guess this year may look different.
I bought a Williams peep sight for my .35 Remington carbine lever. My eyes are not getting better, but I think for the few days of foul weather I’ll like to use that gun.

I found for ML season I’m not a huge fan of my Omega because with a scope the hammer is hard to get at and they don’t make or recommend a spur. I found with gloves it was tough to get at the hammer. Hate the 28 inch barrel for walking. Considering an open sight traditions buckstalker 24 inch barrel. They can be had for $200. Not sure about bullets or loads. I didn’t retrieve my shockwave from this years deer, as it was a pass through, but it didn’t do the damage I thought it would.If it wasn’t on snow the deer would have been a tough find.
Probably keep toting around the 7600 carbine only because they are worth so much now, I don’t dare leave it out of my site!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a Mauser Sporter in 257 Roberts. Shot a couple of deer with it using 117 grain Rem Corlokt. Didn’t have the best results with them. A friend handloads 120 grain bullets for his and has shot a lot of deer with it. He loves it.
Remington 722, in the obvious caliber.....

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I bought a Williams peep sight for my .35 Remington carbine lever. My eyes are not getting better, but I think for the few days of foul weather I’ll like to use that gun.

I found for ML season I’m not a huge fan of my Omega because with a scope the hammer is hard to get at and they don’t make or recommend a spur. I found with gloves it was tough to get at the hammer. Hate the 28 inch barrel for walking. Considering an open sight traditions buckstalker 24 inch barrel. They can be had for $200. Not sure about bullets or loads. I didn’t retrieve my shockwave from this years deer, as it was a pass through, but it didn’t do the damage I thought it would.If it wasn’t on snow the deer would have been a tough find.
Probably keep toting around the 7600 carbine only because they are worth so much now, I don’t dare leave it out of my site!
I’m really happy with my CVA mountain rifle, if you get one let me know I’ll tell you a great load for it. Very light and accurate. Will be interesting to see what happens with the 7600 values.

lester2

Reaction score

I’m with ya KC, my eyes aren’t getting any better but I still like a peep too. Got one on my model 94 .30-30 with a red firesight front and love how it stands out. That gun also has a side mounted Leupold 1-4 on it, sighted dead on at 100 yards, the peep is zeroed at 50. My other 94 in .32 Special also has a Williams peep.
Why not just take the scope off the Omega and put a peep on it? I’ve got an NEF Huntsman muzzleloader that originally came with a 26” barrel. Hated how long and front heavy it was. Took it to a guy named Phil Lacroix in Colchester, VT. He cut the barrel to 21” and made a new ramrod to fit. He also suggested Hornady 240gr XTP’s in green sabots and Blackhorn 209 powder. Took his advice and never looked back. The thing is wicked accurate and has killed every deer I’ve ever shot at with it since. I have kept it scoped, it wears a Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint now and it’s awesome.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’m with ya KC, my eyes aren’t getting any better but I still like a peep too. Got one on my model 94 .30-30 with a red firesight front and love how it stands out. That gun also has a side mounted Leupold 1-4 on it, sighted dead on at 100 yards, the peep is zeroed at 50. My other 94 in .32 Special also has a Williams peep.
Why not just take the scope off the Omega and put a peep on it? I’ve got an NEF Huntsman muzzleloader that originally came with a 26” barrel. Hated how long and front heavy it was. Took it to a guy named Phil Lacroix in Colchester, VT. He cut the barrel to 21” and made a new ramrod to fit. He also suggested Hornady 240gr XTP’s in green sabots and Blackhorn 209 powder. Took his advice and never looked back. The thing is wicked accurate and has killed every deer I’ve ever shot at with it since. I have kept it scoped, it wears a Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint now and it’s awesome.
The omega came with fire sights open sights. I then put a peep on it, proceeded to miss two bucks, then this year had a scope on it. Funny thing is, this doe I shot even though at close range I couldn’t see without the scope. Can’t win! I just hate how long and awkward it is walking around.

JDK

Reaction score
I have a TC omega and can’t disagree with what is said

we bought my oldest son a CVA optima and it is a far better balanced rifle, even with the 28 inch barrel. I’ve never had a rifle fit me as well as that one. His has open sights and putting mounts on it was somewhat of a problem. Had to take the rear sight off to get the scope mounted. Somewhat defeats the purpose of having the sights.

My youngest bought one also and likes it. It will be my next ML

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Shockwaves stink
I was following the ML thread and just continuing with the shockwaves because I had them. Had a pass through center mass, a little bit back, and there was zero hair or blood at impact. She took off and ran down a ridge, zero blood, then only about 100 yards later she started to bleed and fell. I think it was you that said something like how dead do they need to be, but since I’m out of shockwaves I’m going to try some of those Barnes expanders.
I’ll keep my scoped omega for sitting locally, but want a lighter shorter one for walking or tracking and then one of the girls and I can both have a ML late season. I am going back and forth between that cvs wolf a d the traditions. I like the traditions as it has a normal safety so you can keep the hammer back a d not have to worry about messing around with that with gloves later season.

JDK

Reaction score
Yeah, I have 3 full boxes and they are dead nuts accurate in my Omega. I refuse to use them as I’m 100% convinced that I’d lose a deer with them in a bare ground situation. Exact same results as you. I don’t need that headache

270 bdl

Reaction score
I have a Mauser Sporter in 257 Roberts. Shot a couple of deer with it using 117 grain Rem Corlokt. Didn’t have the best results with them. A friend handloads 120 grain bullets for his and has shot a lot of deer with it. He loves it.
A couple of friends of mine use the 257. They like hornady superperformance 117 grain bullet

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Yeah, I have 3 full boxes and they are dead nuts accurate in my Omega. I refuse to use them as I’m 100% convinced that I’d lose a deer with them in a bare ground situation. Exact same results as you. I don’t need that headache
Complete pass through and this was about the only blood on the snow and that was right before she really drained out and died, down a ridge and across a stream.

Attachments

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
A couple of friends of mine use the 257. They like hornady superperformance 117 grain bullet
Thanks, My 257 sits in the safe without a scope, just the original peep sights that I put back on. I may set it up for one of my daughters if they ever go rifle hunting with me. All their hunting has been with a shotgun.

NH Hunter

Reaction score

Considering an open sight traditions buckstalker 24 inch barrel. They can be had for $200. Not sure about bullets or loads. I didn’t retrieve my shockwave from this years deer, as it was a pass through,
I have this ML , but with the traditions scope that comes with it. It was recommended by Dluke a handful of season back. Love the gun!! I shoot 100gr pyrodex pellets with a 240 green sabot Hornaday XTP's . Gun shoot great for what I do with it, and is perfect to carry.

The only thing I can say I don t like is the composite stocks. A beech whip hitting it pisses me off. In my head I'm convinced it sounds like someone just slammed a snare drum.

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
My main rifle is a BLR in a 308. I like scoped rifles.

But, my 336SC with a Skinner peep is the best handling rifle I've ever carried through the woods.

270 bdl

Reaction score
It was from the tc custom shop when they had one. It's a little bit newer than the big boar. I have it's mate in percussion too.

groundtender

Reaction score
Apparently TC no longer produces the Renegade, or any other more traditional Muzzleloader. Just was at their website. I wish I still had my lefty Renegade, not for hunting, but I had the barrel perfectly seasoned and cleaning it was as easy as cleaning a cast iron frying pan. It was just plain fun to shoot PRBs at targets with it.

JDK

Reaction score
I have both the Renegade and the Hawken. Like the Hawken far better. Fits me well and I like the sights. Never cared for the blade front sight on the Renegade.

That said, inlines are so much easier.

Latest posts