What rifle will you be using this year?

groundtender

Reaction score
Savage Weather Warrior. Lefty bolt. .308. Back up....Winchester Model 88 in .308. Lever Action. Shot many deer with the 88, but in my mid-50s decided to go with the lighter Savage.

Jimmy S

Reaction score
As will I Saturday. Ruger M77
Savage Model 99. It's been in the family since my Dad bought it in the early 50's.
My son shot a nice doe last year using it and his son, my grandson shot his first deer, 9 point 183 pound buck with the 250.

JDK

Reaction score
It is a fantastic cartridge that doesn't get the respect it deserves.

J57

Reaction score
I have short Trex arms. I built a 300blk Ar topped off with a 3x fixed prism scope. Muzzle new Tc pro hunter 1x4 Vertex switched to Blackhorn powder this year

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Remington 742 Woodsmaster Carbine in 308. It was my grandfathers gun who handed it down to my father who has now handed it down to me. Getting close with time running out this season but if I get a deer that will be 3 generations to get a deer with that rifle.

groundtender

Reaction score
Looking like it might be my .45 cal CVA next week. But long range forecast isn’t getting me too worked up for that even. Bunch of small bucks and does last week, nothing I wanted to get my hands dirty for

groundtender

Reaction score
Remington 742 Woodsmaster Carbine in 308. It was my grandfathers gun who handed it down to my father who has now handed it down to me. Getting close with time running out this season but if I get a deer that will be 3 generations to get a deer with that rifle.
I had one of them, my 1st deer gun. Was a carbine too. Shot 7 or 8 deer with it. Sold it for some reason over 30 years ago. Ammo makers must have loved that gun....bang bang bang bang bang! Friend told me “with a running deer, just put out a flak screen and let him ( the deer) run into it”

Huntermc6

Reaction score
I had one of them, my 1st deer gun. Was a carbine too. Shot 7 or 8 deer with it. Sold it for some reason over 30 years ago. Ammo makers must have loved that gun....bang bang bang bang bang! Friend told me “with a running deer, just put out a flak screen and let him ( the deer) run into it”
Thats certainly possible with those semis. Everyone claims they jam all the time but knock on wood this ones been a great gun with Remington and Federal ammunition.

groundtender

Reaction score
Thats certainly possible with those semis. Everyone claims they jam all the time but knock on wood this ones been a great gun with Remington and Federal ammunition.
[/QUOTE Mine got an annual trip to the gunsmith for for a thorough cleaning of internal parts and gas ports, and I was told to avoid using any hi-test handloads. Never a problem.

41mag

Reaction score
First gun I bought myself a million moons ago was a 742 Woodsmaster in .243.
Carried it till I got sick of the weight and sold it.
Picked up a 7400 Carbine in 30-06 a few years ago. With 150gr Core-Lokts it'll shoot about an inch @100 yds. Never had an issue with it, it's my wet weather warrior.
Dumped one today at 250 yards with it. Aim small, miss small;)
Marlin 30-30 if in the brush, 0r a Tikka T3 in 7-08 for long range gunning.

Last edited:

Latest posts