What flavor 7600 do you use?

firstshot

Reaction score
Carbine vs Rifle.....Caliber.....Pics if Ya Got Um.
What bullet do you use - What velocities are you getting.

Thanks

firstshot
-------------------------------------------------
Make your first shot (and the rest) count!

257ROBT

Reaction score
Rifles
2-257 Roberts - the one I shoot likes Federal Premiums w/ a 120 g Nosler Partition
35 Whelen - likes 200 g and 250 g Remington factory loads
30-06 - haven't shot it, long story how I got it

Carbines
35 Remington - 200 g Remington factory loads

I like the carbines the best, even though I have more rifles. The extra couple of inches throws off the balance a bit on the rifles.If I had to do it all again I would get a 30-06 carbine and would have been done with it. One rifle that covers it all prettry well.

Flatlander

Reaction score
35 Whelen. 200 gr. Hornady spire point handloads. It's a rifle with a 1.75 X 5 Redfield Widefield scope. Balances just fine and points like a shotgun, snap it up and it's right on.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
7600 rifle in 270 with Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X and iron sights removed, shooting Federal Premium 140gr. Accubonds right now, but will be switching over to the new Premium 130gr. Nosler Partition load....it's got a Sims Vibration Lab recoil pad on it now as well...
PICT0058.jpg

257ROBT

Reaction score
Nice lookin setup there DLuke. Has much as I like the carbines, I know where there is a 7600 270 sitting that has been there a while at an awesome price. How do you like the 270 for knockin down them big bucks you guys get? What sucks is I am torn becasue I wouldn't mind getting a 308 like Lil John's.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
It's got one kill under its belt as I just bought it last summer. A doe, straight down in her tracks. I'm very sure it can kill any whitetail that walks planet earth in very similar fashion. It's gonna shoot a Maine moose in September as well....god willing.

257ROBT

Reaction score
I am going to have my dad check out the loads you mentioned. He shot a skippy last year and it took 4 shots to bring her down. Worse yet all the shoys hit the deer and all were killing shots, but the demn thing wouldn't go down. He was shooting some hand loads and something seems very wrong.

lil John

Reaction score
Here is my retired 7600 in 35 whelen on its last hunt.

mainebuckdeathbed001.jpg

lil John

Reaction score
And this is my new 7600P in .308 last season on its very first hunt.

05mainebuckwraven.jpg

das fisch

Reaction score
not quite a 7600, but i've got a 760 in 270. old gun, shoots great. just like d's, took a doe down immediately last season. just do it.

lil John

Reaction score
Originally posted by 257ROBT
Hey Lil John, just out of curiosity, are you shooting that 35 with just the iron sights?

Yes I do, I put a scope on it once and after 18 shots at the range, the recoil broke an inner lens.
I've taken several deer with it over the years.

257ROBT

Reaction score
I've been debating about what to do with mine. They are a real thumper. I've only shot mine with irons, but I might try a peep sight. After shooting a 35 I guess your 308 would seem like a pussycat.

lil John

Reaction score
The recoil has been lessened with the cal. change, but the carbine is still very devistating on the other end.
Find what you are comfortable with in a sight, then get real friendly with it.repitition will help you kill more deer than reputation.

257ROBT

Reaction score
As much as I like the 35 because it is one of the few cartridges that I have seen a couple of bang-flops with, I do enjoy the Roberts better because it is a lot milder. Next huntnig season I am hunting in an area that looks more like what you guys get to hunt (Big Woods). I am looking for compact and portable and don't want to get caught being under gunned.

lil John

Reaction score
Speaking of "Bang-Flop". My .308 is shooting 180 gr. bullets, and that deer it is pictured with went down in a heap with one shot.
But, True to my form, I put one more into him just to make sure.
<

257ROBT

Reaction score
It its on its feet, keep shooting I say. It aint dead till its on the ground belly up. Thanks for the info on the bang flop. I am going to take a good hard look at the 308.

nbbucks

Reaction score
I carry a .308 7600 rifle. It has a fixed 4X simmons scope 40mm wide angle with see through mounts and a leather strap. This year I'll probably put a front fiber optic sight on, take the rear sights off and shoot through my mounts like a peep. I shoot factory load 180 Federals.

DeerMeadowFarm

Reaction score
I use a 7600 rifle in .280 that I had cut down to carbine length a few years back. I have a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5 to 5x scope mounted as low to the receiver as possible. I use Federal loads in 150 grain. I have taken quite a few deer with it, a bear and two caribou bulls.

Quilly

Reaction score
liked my rem 7600 carbine chambered in 35rem with williams peep sights. shot clays out to 125yds w/ it. unfortunatly sold to pay bills last winter.

Latest posts