What a weekend!

benny8

Reaction score
Slept in on Sunday after getting done the work on Sarah's deer Saturday evening. Finished up the work on some knives and spent some time with the kid. Sarah and I and my brother headed out for an afternoon sit. Sarah had never been with me when I have taken a deer, so she wanted to know what it felt like being beside someone in the stand when it happens. Not much going on until about and hour before legal time was up. Above us we could hear something walking and at one point I thought it was turkeys. As it drew nearer to the end of legal, it didn't make sense that the turkeys hadn't roosted yet. 4:50 is when things got interesting. Sarah's asks me what is that coming down by the stone wall. Before I could pick it up, she says DEER! I see the brown body and she say ITS A BUCK! I pick up the muzzy and find it in the scope. It looks small while on 4 power and I know its a poke. His hind end was facing me as he hung smelling something on the ground. I know we are running out of daylight so I grunt. Sarah is like a commentator telling me no he's not responding, so I tip the can a couple times. She says yes, he's turned and coming down the hill. I can now see his body in the open and I put the scope on his vitals. Its like an 80 yard shot and I squeeze the trigger. As the smoke clears, I hear him barrel assing down the hill and Sarah is hollering You got him, you got him. I'm not sure at this point, but he starts stumbling and now I'm confident he is hit. Crashing a little further down the hill he comes to rest in a brush pile. We cant see him anymore, but we heard him crash. My brother hollers that he saw it crash. Sarah is dancing in the treestand hollering he's down babe, he's down babe! We hug and high five and make our way out of the tree. We meet up with my brother and high five some more. At this point, I still don't know what caliber of buck he is. Then we get over to the brush pile and pull him out. He is a good one. Nice 8 point buck. I kneel down and thank the good Lord for blessing me with this deer and then the work begins. We checked him in at the FD and weighed him on the suspect scale. 160.5 is what it reads. We will see. It was a great weekend for my wife and I.
2019 8 point.jpg
2019 8 point2.jpg

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Damn - that is awesome. You guys are filling the freezer! Great deer Congratulations.

benny8

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. Sarah had an awesome weekend. I had an awesome weekend. We always say, and its true, its not about the kill, its about time spent together and the memories made. A kill is just a bonus. I will be "guiding" my 21 year old daughter this weekend. She is a LNA on 2nd shift, and between work and school both full time, she doesn't get much of a chance to go out. We will be spending the weekend at Shamp, so if nothing else, it will be awesome family time.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Congratulations and nice to share your hunt with someone in person.

Roger-