We're a dying breed.......

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I'm in the same shirt replacement gang as you. I have a orange button up long sleeve shirt I wear on the warmer days when it's not raining. According to google searches it's an "upland" shirt. I've had this one for at least 15 years. Pockets are tearing off. I bought it through Cabela's. I couldn't find it's replacement on their site or BPS. Bean has the shirt for 75.00. I think I paid 25-30.00 for it originally. I looked on eBay but couldn't find one that would fit me for a reasonable price, but I am keeping an eye out . Picture below was taken in 2007

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I thought of this thread the other day. I've had an old red chamois shirt that I've worn hunting for over twenty years and is in dire need of a replacement, with the collar literally worn through and holding on by a few threads. I bought it at an old general store in Snowsville Vermont when I was in college; neat store with a gunshop, stacks of wool hunting clothes, a couple resident dogs, and a pot belly stove belching out heat in the middle. Maybe it was a touch of superstition, or maybe it was nostalgia, but I wanted to keep the same format. After some google searches I found very limited options beyond a few excessively priced ones (no shit one was $165!). Luckily I found one in a vintage shop in Wisconsin on ebay, $24. Maybe it just sat in someone's closet unused, or maybe it has already been on a few hunts. Either way I'm glad I found it and will probably look to ebay more in the future because apparently I qualify as one of the dying breed.

My original a few years after I got it:
Nostalgia, and the never ending battle of trying to refrain from purchasing the new hyped in hunting clothes. I find my self digressing occasionally, and end up buying a pair of Sitka Timberline pants this summer, but only because they were half off. Haha, yeah, that's what I tell myself.

Anyway, your post made me dig up my old chamois llbean shirts from the closet which I love! I had a blue and red one just like yours, but who knows where the blue one went but I did find the red and time to take it out of retirement.

I really need hunting season to get here quick. Fishing has been good, but this year has been a kick in the nuts, and seems to be only getting worse in the short term. We will probably be putting my 13 year old chessie, Kenai down this week, and I definitely did not think it would hit me so hard. Just a hunting dog right? Not so much, and when I was single and got him as a pup, I think he saved me from myself many times. Now I have a family and I guess he's done his part and has to move on.

In May, my best friend took his own life. We grew up together, hunted, fished, sports at Blue Mountain Union. On the basketball court, he was my guard and I was his forward. Always same side, feeding each other the ball. We stayed best friends all those years, while he was in college and I was in the Navy we always got together. When I went to school in the UK and he worked in Florida, he came to Wales, and I went to FL. Always there for one another like best friends are.

Gordon moved to CA in 2003 and started an awesome family with 3 boys, but somehow he got lost. Depression and alcoholism over the last few years, and maybe a bit of this fucked up covid world was just too much for him to fight anymore. Anyway, Gordon grew up in Ryegate VT, helped his mom run swim lesson at Ticklenaked pond in the summers, and there's probably not a nicer guy in the world. He was a camp counselor at Green Mountain Conservation Camp at Lake Bomoseen, so if you ever went in the 90's he might have been your counselor.

This year can really just go to hell, except for deer season. That's at least a silver lining in the near future.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Nate. I experienced a similar loss in February. My niece is still recovering from the loss of her husband. 2020 has not been a good year. Hopefully you’ll get to head deep in to the Maine woods this fall.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Sorry to hear all of this Nate, 2020 has been a tough row to hoe in many ways. Hopefully you can find some solace in the November woods this fall sporting your red chamois sprung out of retirement. Shoot me a text if you’re heading through my neck of the woods on your way to camp, I’ll have a double IPA with your name on it in the garage fridge.

Latest posts