We're a dying breed.......

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Not only is a struggle to find decent wool in this era, but Brunton has also discontinued their pin on ball compass. I was able to find a website that had 4 left and bought them. They were shown as the white ones, but when they showed up it was 3 different models. They must've had to scramble to fill my order which I appreciate. That should hold me over for a little bit.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I’ve struggled to find rubber dot wool gloves lately. Can’t find any on a shelf locally. Kinco makes some under the Aleyska brand, but I’ve found most out of stock online. Last time I found some I ordered 5, but I share with friends, so my stock is getting low.

i don’t want to jinx it, but have you looked at all the pimped out rubber boots LaCrosse makes, and how far down the line the simple air grip burlys are when you search for them? Makes me wonder if those are next. I guess they probably sell enough of them when they only last a year for most, so there’s hope in that fact.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I really like my wool gloves, jacket, and fanny pack that I got from BWB.

This year I bought a Jac-shirt from LL Bean for the warmer days. I'm really happy with it.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Life as our independent selves is going to change more so over time. My suspicion is GPS technology killed those compasses.

5G is going to change our lives over the next 10 years significantly more than the technology changes we’ve seen over the previous 10.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Life as our independent selves is going to change more so over time. My suspicion is GPS technology killed those compasses.

5G is going to change our lives over the next 10 years significantly more than the technology changes we’ve seen over the previous 10.
yup more mindless zombies in the making. It's over when the muppets are in a commercial selling creepy shit people can see me on my tv.

I carry a gps, but its more to mark stuff, and look at topography ahead of me. I still like the compass just to get a quick orientation and go.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I buy my old school stuff on eBay, you can find pin on compasses of every make and vintage. I like Marbles Match Safes and Bob Lane Folding Cups and other stuff from better days. As much as I like that stuff I’m happy to be carrying a gps too.

NH Mountains

Reaction score

The iPhone has a lot gps and mapping stuff but, most people don’t know how to use it or don’t know it’s available on their phones. Don’t help you if your battery dies or you can’t get a signal though.

Gfedor

Reaction score

Technology waits for nobody ( I'm old school, but it helps).
I've been in the technology industry for close to 30 years, last years latest and greatest is now a dinosaurs,
Agree with the 5G technology will change how alot of things are done, including jobs, once 5G is up and running, technician/ lineman jobs will go next. Hoping to be retired by then

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Just because we are set in our ways, doesn't mean we can't adapt and use technology to our advantage. For my hunt out west, I never used my GPS once. Used the OnX app on my phone the entire time and works great with your phone in airplane mode and no cell service, if you just know how to use the app. Pretty nice having topo lines overlaid onto satellite imagery while on the move. Would use it all day with my phone in airplane mode and only go through 1/4% of my battery life.

Yeah Travis, those new Lacrosse styles look like real junk, and right up there with Redhead, etc.. Outside of the traditional good rubber boots, it's impossible to find decent boots at the big stores anymore. Even Danners have gone south. I finally sucked it up and pulled the trigger on some Hoffman Explorers. Fully recraftable and should last me a decade.

For wool glvoes with the rubber dots, that I could never find. I've just been buying the wool liners and using a glue gun to put my own dots on them.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Just because we are set in our ways, doesn't mean we can't adapt and use technology to our advantage. For my hunt our west, I never used my GPS once. Used the OnX app on my phone the entire time and works great with your phone in airplane mode and no cell service, if you just know how to use the app. Pretty nice having topo lines overlaid onto satellite imagery while on the move. Would use it all day with my phone in airplane mode and only go through 1/4% of my battery life.
Used the OnX also up in Maine this year. Was great. Never used my GPS either. Still use a compass to know generally which direction is back to the road and keep myself on a heading without pulling out the phone.

Snowed

Reaction score
Just because we are set in our ways, doesn't mean we can't adapt and use technology to our advantage. For my hunt out west, I never used my GPS once. Used the OnX app on my phone the entire time and works great with your phone in airplane mode and no cell service, if you just know how to use the app. Pretty nice having topo lines overlaid onto satellite imagery while on the move. Would use it all day with my phone in airplane mode and only go through 1/4% of my battery life.

Yeah Travis, those new Lacrosse styles look like real junk, and right up there with Redhead, etc.. Outside of the traditional good rubber boots, it's impossible to find decent boots at the big stores anymore. Even Danners have gone south. I finally sucked it up and pulled the trigger on some Hoffman Explorers. Fully recraftable and should last me a decade.

For wool glvoes with the rubber dots, that I could never find. I've just been buying the wool liners and using a glue gun to put my own dots on them.
I like the idea you have with the gloves. Thank you for that.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
The BWB gloves are wool and have the little buttons. They're only like $10-$12 a pair IIRC.

Latest posts