Waterford Area

lester2

Reaction score
Last year 6 of us hunted in Allagash with an outfitter and had fair success, two guys tagged out on small bucks. I really enjoyed the area but it’s a really long haul up there from VT, like 8 hours, and while we all saw deer there was not a lot. One of the guys has a friend with property in Waterford who will let us park a camper there and we are thinking about a week one hunt there for three of us. Been doing a bit of map recon on OnX and there seems to be a few larger parcels in the area with many smaller areas, definitely different from up north.
Anyone on here familiar with the general area? Is there a lot of posted private property or is access generally good? A couple of us are going to take a drive over within the next few weeks to poke around. Any suggestions are welcome but we sure aren’t looking to hone in on your favorite spots lol!

Pine-lock

Reaction score
I’m familiar with that area. There certainly are more posted signs than there used to be. Lots of atv traffic in the bigger sections of woods. There’s a pretty popular trail system that runs through Waterford.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
My significant other's family has a place just south of waterford. Drove through there today on the way home. I hunted there one muzzleloader season about 3 years ago when the snow was a bit crazy further north. There is some WMNF land that is accessible on the way toward Bethel that was pretty decent. Hard to tell from the road, but there are some points you can access it from the south and the east sides.

lester2

Reaction score
My significant other's family has a place just south of waterford. Drove through there today on the way home. I hunted there one muzzleloader season about 3 years ago when the snow was a bit crazy further north. There is some WMNF land that is accessible on the way toward Bethel that was pretty decent. Hard to tell from the road, but there are some points you can access it from the south and the east sides.
Thank you. May have passed you as I was able to talk the wife into taking a ride over there today. Checked out an area not far from Keoka lake, a private parcel of almost 3k acres. Even saw a deer, first fawn I’ve seen this year. I saw that WMNF parcel when I was doing a map recon on OnX, going to have to check that out next trip.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
I hunt this area and possibly even the tract of land you are referring to. As others have stated there is a lot of posted land but there are some land owners that have very large parcels that don't post their land. The big difference you will see between The North Woods and this area is there is a lot more pressure from other hunters down here. Pressure is just a given with the smaller tracts of land, higher population and ease of access to the difference chunks of land. Early season it can be hard to find an empty log yard. It does tend to get better later in the season and muzzleloader is basically wide open as very few people seem to get into muzzleloader around here.

I'm not sure if this is more up your alley but if you want larger chunks to hunt that have less pressure and more room to roam you could look up around Albany, Bethel, Rumford, Newry and even points North and West of there. Not trying to drive you away from my hunting grounds just trying to think of some close by areas that are more like the North woods.

lester2

Reaction score
I hunt this area and possibly even the tract of land you are referring to. As others have stated there is a lot of posted land but there are some land owners that have very large parcels that don't post their land. The big difference you will see between The North Woods and this area is there is a lot more pressure from other hunters down here. Pressure is just a given with the smaller tracts of land, higher population and ease of access to the difference chunks of land. Early season it can be hard to find an empty log yard. It does tend to get better later in the season and muzzleloader is basically wide open as very few people seem to get into muzzleloader around here.

I'm not sure if this is more up your alley but if you want larger chunks to hunt that have less pressure and more room to roam you could look up around Albany, Bethel, Rumford, Newry and even points North and West of there. Not trying to drive you away from my hunting grounds just trying to think of some close by areas that are more like the North woods.
Thanks for the info. We figured there would be more pressure than up north but we wanted something closer and with a higher deer density. Well be there for a few days during the first week and then maybe later in the season, we’ll see how things play out.

lester2

Reaction score
Well things worked out in more ways than one on this trip. Three of us came over from VT and my son drove up from RI to hunt with us. We did an AirB&B rental on a cabin for a very reasonable cost. In early October we did a day trip to scout and found some decent sign. Just after noon yesterday, Wednesday, I was moving slowly from one sitting spot to another when I jumped two deer. I saw horns but had no chance for a shot at the buck while the doe just slowly trotted away in a different direction. I decided to just sit down right there and see what happens. I hit my grunt call a couple times after I sat and 10 minutes later the buck came sneaking back from the way he’d gone. He offered a pretty easy 80 yard broadside shot and didn’t go far. I didn’t realize how massive he was until I walked up to him and then the shakes started. 7pts with a 20” inside spread and he went 223.8lbs clean dressed. Three of us, including my son at 6’1” 240lbs thankfully, dragged him 600 yards to a logging road while our 4th guy humped back to the truck and got his deer cart. Three hours later we had him in the truck and on the way to the check station. Definitely my buck of a lifetime! 229D77AB-C615-4D20-A06A-6D25CD0ACE07.jpeg DAFEF965-08EE-4FD2-8346-9240206337F4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Huntermc6

Reaction score
That is aweaome man! Congrats on a great kill especially going into some new territory with limited knowledge of the area.

lester2

Reaction score
Way to go. Nice of that doe to stick around and very savvy of you to do same! Congratulations
I’ve got a good friend I’ve hunted with a lot over the years who has killed a ton of deer. When those deer ran off I thought to myself “what would Ken do?”. Many times he’s told the story of doing something similar and just sitting down and the deer came back so I figured it was worth a try!

Mathews84

Reaction score
Great buck! My family has a place in the Waterford area, I haven’t deer hunted the area yet. Looks like I should find some time.

Latest posts