Warm Morning & A Five Point Buck

Turningleaf

Reaction score
December for me is unfortunately the busiest time at work....I’m in retail and I work a lot of hours which means very little hunting time for Mass Shotgun & Muzzleloader Season. The first day of the Shotgun I went into one of my favorite spots....it’s fairly un pressured because of the amount of the water you have to go through to get there. Well as I was making my way out of the water and onto some dry ground and getting closer to the path I take into my stand I heard a deer stand up...and I said “Oh boy..here we go” and as if on cue.....it blew and ended up running right by my stand and off into the swamp. I could still hear it out there splashing around and making sure every deer knew it was a No Tresspasing morning. The morning sit was uneventful but nice to be in the woods. I went home got some hot soup warmed up and was back out at 1. At 3:30pm I spotted a large bodied deer making it’s way to the edge of the woods line. Typically they feed and travel left to right or vice verse....but this deer was about 80 yards through brush and going away from me. I waited a few minutes and decided if I was going to have a crack at him I needed to get out of the stand and go after him. As I made my way to the edge of tree line I saw him looking back at me at a fair distance. It was a small basket 6...nice deer! It was windy, but I had my shot and he was getting ready to bolt so it was a rather quick sight and bang. I missed and scoured the area for 45minutes to make sure.

Fast Forward to the second Monday of Shotgun.....Sunday afternoon after 2 more days of rain I thought to myself....the swamps are FULL. Maybe this is why the deer I bumped was bedded on the edge of swamp and not back in it.

I decided to abandon my favorite stands and go on foot into a spot that in the past has been a really good transition area. It was raining all day Sunday, turning very warm and I figured the deer would be on their feet enjoying a warm breakfast morning. I was in place well before sunrise and it was a WARM day for December.....it was in the 50’s early. Some mornings you just have a feeling something’s going to happen...and I had it when I woke up. The woods were dripping from the rain the night before and there was just a little evaporating fog that was disappearing fast early on. I was hearing some forest noise but it turned out to be red squirrels playing tag and a big gray trying to get out of their way. I watched a beautiful Flicker on a tree close by for a while and was basically keeping my head on a swivel as the deer could literally come from any direction back here. It was just a little after 8 when I heard from the mixed growth in back of me more snapping and cracking than I really thought was more than squirrels and I had stood up and turned around was focused on my right for a few minutes.....and instinctively when this happens I always look over my shoulder...you know....”just in case”.......and “just in case” spotted a brown line moving through the hardwoods about 80 yards out. It was moving away from me and then at the last minute it was almost as if it said to itself...” you know what, I don’t feel like walking through that swamp today” and he took a hard right hand angle that was bringing him right back towards me....I saw antlers and he was going to follow the edge of the swamp. I got ready and waited as each step brought him closer.....he was finally about 50 yards broadside and walking slow....he came through a nice opening and I let one rip......he kicked and turned and literally ran right at me and went by at about 10 yards as he went past I put one more in him and he piled up a few yards latter. Pretty special morning as the season is drawing to a close. My next time in the woods will be Christmas afternoon and the day after. I had the morning to really enjoy him and the setting of being in the woods...it was just an awesome day. The woods were quiet and literally I hadn’t heard any other shots all morning long. I was a ways back in and it took a while to get him out but in the end it was a very satisfying drag! Evidently, I actually had this buck on cam about 200 yards away from where I was hunting that morning in August. It’s been a great year!

E570C7DF-B29F-4F8A-A4BC-097A353D011A.jpg

27B3DB16-8537-43C7-8F32-96D3FB2B2B40.jpeg

82FCD527-B13A-4C4E-B72D-342870013095.jpg

7794D14E-C173-40FF-8487-381A5B9C89C5.jpeg

AE400522-F308-474E-A8ED-ABA2D7E7397D.jpeg

JDK

Reaction score
A very good season and that is a nice buck.

Davey

Reaction score
You're having a great year, congrats.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Atta boy well done Tim. You'll be eating venison into the summer months!!!

Browseline

Reaction score
What a great season you have had! Nice buck, story and pictures. Congratulations and a good chance you will get another one in the day and a half you have left.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Great bucks, congrats! I like that hoist set up to, some convenient.
Viking Solutions is the company google it....It’s called Kwik Hoist and cost all of $89! It goes up in a snap and can come down just as fast. It’s really quit perfect for the single hunter.

ahmoore

Reaction score
Cool story and pics, especially the kwik hoist one as I've been wondering how well work they work. Obviously pretty good based on your nice buck! (Will have to pick one up.)