Veterinary surgeon?

mowbizz

Reaction score
My 7 yr old Springer was just diagnosed with a torn or partial tear of the cranial cruciate ligament (think ACL in humans)
My vet suggested I consult a surgeon but the ones she gave me are in Massachusetts and I’d like to stay in NH if possible.
Anyone have any recommendations for a surgeon?
Thanks!

mowbizz

Reaction score
What is the dogs symptoms and how long ago did it happen? What happened?
Happened yesterday morning after picking her up at the groomer.
She got stuck halfway up while trying to jump up into my pickup.
Not putting any weight on her left hind leg.
Took her to my vet this afternoon and she recommended a consult with a surgeon.
I got a good lead from a friend on another forum...

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
That's too bad. How is she doing today? I would give it a good week before I did anything, but that's up to you. Had surgeries and procedures recommended many times by vets that were totally unnecessary. Just my experience. Best of luck!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Thanks! Not rushing into surgery but would like a consult. Have a call into a vet hat was recommended by a friend that has his 2 labs CCLs done. For now, she is getting a cool compress and is on an inflammatory pill. A little time will tell. It does seem that even though she doesn’t put weight on the leg, she is not in pain.
Yesterday the vet told us that instead of “pain” the sensation might be that the leg feels like “buckling” under weight and that’s why she keeps it off the ground (for the most part)
Again, thank you for your concern, Longbow!

TheMule

Reaction score
My dog missed a ditch and landed funny while running full throttle. He was in a lot of pain for a week or so then got better. His knee was junk though. We held off for about 5 months then took him in for surgery because he would limp every time he would run. it was heartbreaking to see such a peppy dog struggle with his pep. Recovery was long and tough but he made a full recovery. That was about 15 years ago but I just wanted to let you know that if your dog needs surgery don't wait too long and take recovery very slow. He will be good as new in 6 months.

mowbizz

Reaction score
She had surgery today! We pick her up in the morning. Thanks for the thoughts!