Venison sausage

12point

Reaction score
Making up some venison sausage today and it looks like I will be doing patties as opposed to links as I could not find any casings for the smaller diameter breakfast sausages. I picked up some snack casings at bass-pro that were supposed to fit onto a half inch nozzle but they don't. I live in Manchester, NH. Does anyone have a decent source for casings in the area? Thanks, Tim.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Making up some venison sausage today and it looks like I will be doing patties as opposed to links as I could not find any casings for the smaller diameter breakfast sausages. I picked up some snack casings at bass-pro that were supposed to fit onto a half inch nozzle but they don't. I live in Manchester, NH. Does anyone have a decent source for casings in the area? Thanks, Tim.
I actually order my casings through Amazon both sheep and pork, they come salted and don’t need refrigeration until opened.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I checked Market Basket for you. They only carry the larger size sausage casing. No breakfast sausage size.

McKinnons Meat Market in Salem NH has both casing sizes. The breakfast sausage and the normal size for italian sausage in stock. I just called them to confirm they have them. They have some of the best meat and even better prices than Market Basket most of the time.

http://www.mckinnonsmarkets.com/mckinnons/locations.jsp

Last edited:

nomadicbohunk

Reaction score
Butcher Packer sells the best casings and they're like 1/2 the price of getting locally. It's where the grocery stores around where I grew up get them. Just buy a hank. They stay good for years. You're looking for sheep casings.

12point

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. Made sausage patties for the time being and they were delicious. Looking forward to stuffing some casings though.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
I’m sure everyone has an opinion but for a novice sausage maker what is the best casing to start with? Also what’s the ratio you guys like venison to pork fat? I don’t typically mix fat with my ground for burgers and what not but assume for a good sausage fat is a must. Any help is appreciated.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
It’s too bad MBullism doesn’t post much here anymore. He had a recipe for some venison sausage that was outstanding.
I heard you liked his sausage. But hey..... don't ask, don't tell.

I figured I'd try to lighten up the mood a bit.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I’m sure everyone has an opinion but for a novice sausage maker what is the best casing to start with? Also what’s the ratio you guys like venison to pork fat? I don’t typically mix fat with my ground for burgers and what not but assume for a good sausage fat is a must. Any help is appreciated.
It depends on the type of sausage you are trying to make. The easiest to case is the fibrous, non-edible type used for cured sausages (summer, salami, etc). Those tie up with strings and can go into the oven or smoker. For fresh sausage I use hog casings, although I have smoked cured sausage in hog casings as well. These take a bit more practice to stuff evenly. I’m no pro so it takes a few to get the feel for the line between tightly stuffed and having casings blowout. The sheep casings for breakfast links are even thinner so those require more finesse. I’ve only used those a couple times.

I don’t mix anything with my burger either. I have made loose ground breakfast sausage and ground bacon into the mix, that is pretty tasty. I shoot for between 25-35% fatty pork mixed in for cased sausage. I try to find a boneless pork butt if possible, and never anything thats been frozen. I stuffed summer sausage today for smoking tomorrow. I used a 4lb butt to 13lbs of venison.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
It depends on the type of sausage you are trying to make. The easiest to case is the fibrous, non-edible type used for cured sausages (summer, salami, etc). Those tie up with strings and can go into the oven or smoker. For fresh sausage I use hog casings, although I have smoked cured sausage in hog casings as well. These take a bit more practice to stuff evenly. I?m no pro so it takes a few to get the feel for the line between tightly stuffed and having casings blowout. The sheep casings for breakfast links are even thinner so those require more finesse. I?ve only used those a couple times.

I don?t mix anything with my burger either. I have made loose ground breakfast sausage and ground bacon into the mix, that is pretty tasty. I shoot for between 25-35% fatty pork mixed in for cased sausage. I try to find a boneless pork butt if possible, and never anything thats been frozen. I stuffed summer sausage today for smoking tomorrow. I used a 4lb butt to 13lbs of venison.
Thanks for the info. Have you used collagen casing for sausage? Are they easier than hog? Is there a taste difference? Looking at making an Italian style or garlic sausage for grilling / sauce to star with and once I get a smoker (after you've used yours a few more time / did a follow up review in a few months) I'll try summer sausage. Any more tips are appreciated.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Have you used collagen casing for sausage? Are they easier than hog? Is there a taste difference? Looking at making an Italian style or garlic sausage for grilling / sauce to star with and once I get a smoker (after you've used yours a few more time / did a follow up review in a few months) I'll try summer sausage. Any more tips are appreciated.

Never used the colagen casings. For grilling I liked the hog casings. I mostly did Bratwurst, pre boiled and finished on the grill.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
All i’ve ever used are hog casings as well, never had a problem with them. Simple and easy to use, and you can order them salted from Amazon. After living in Sardinia for a few years, that’s my favorite type of sausage to make. Course ground Pork butt and a little venison, and then garlic, aniseed, salt and a good amount of white wine all mixed together.

Last edited:

Fixed blade

Reaction score
All i’ve ever used are hog casings as well, never had a problem with them. Simple and easy to use, and you can order them salted from Amazon. After living in Sardinia for a few years, that’s my favorite type of sausage to make. Course ground Pork butt and a little venison, and then garlic, aniseed, salt and a good amount of white wine all mixed together.
Damn that sounds good!