Upstate NY 2017

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Look forward to this trip all year...in fact I start thinking about the next years trip on the 7 1/2 hour trip home! We had nearly perfect hunting weather that ranged from good n cold to 45 degrees most of the week with a lot of snowy days combined with some stiff winds that made you glad you had your tree harness on or a ground blind to sit in! As has become tradition we stopped in Oneanta for some awesome Brooks Barbeque on the way up. It?s a great midway stopping point.

86FDB079-0343-481D-9E8D-69F0D973808D.jpeg

Opening Day...is there anything better......sitting in your stand in complete darkness watching the stars and waiting for legal light to come....It?s as close as a man gets to feeling like a kid on Christmas! Upstate NY opening day is almost like a National holiday....as darkness gave way to legal light booms and cracks of rifles could be heard from
Valleys, fields, and townships as far as sound would carry. It?s truly one of my most favorite times of the year. Three yearlings snuck in behind me and then a fourth a small spike about mid morning but they were the first deer of the day.

A Little background here. This morning was a bit nostalgic for me. I was carrying my Dads vintage 35 Marlins LA. He passed away 4 years ago....and in his old age he kept the rifle in the furnace room of his home and it became a bit rusted. I had wanted to have it refurbished for a few years and with the prompting of Dluke I decided to go for it. Dan did all the wood work for me and he does an awesome job...I took the rifle to a Russian gun smith in Natick to have it completely refurbished and between the gunsmith and Dan the gun has a new life. I purchased a 1960?s Leupold scope to have mounted on top to help keep the rifle looking as it wood have been back in Dads younger days. Here?s a few pictures to show you the transformation.

33D30D2D-1B13-440D-AD91-7502370C9721.jpg

0CF549B9-492E-40E5-8200-2B768A764250.jpg

4D0EFF5D-785B-4B87-A6CC-F7C3EC05751D.jpeg

ADED509C-935A-44B9-847B-331A177D8F71.jpg

Turningleaf

Reaction score
As you can see....Dad’s rifle just came out amazing and The goal for my NY rifle season became to take a deer with Dads MLR...It would be the first opening morning it would see in years and just as long since it had actually taken a deer. My chance came a few minutes before 10....she came out of nowhere from my front right hand side.....just behind the farthest two fir trees to the right. I’m not sure if she sensed something wasn’t quiet right but she started tail flipping and foot stopping...Dads rifle to the shoulder and hammer back.....she was quartered to me at a strong angle and the only shot was front shoulder and catch the vitals down through. FYI The Hornady Leverevolution Ammon is awesome! The shot was good and she struggled to run away on three but only made it about 70 yards down hill.....the blood trail was tough at first but eventually I found her piled up.

42A226D4-8E71-44D0-BFD2-F568E2FFF34C.jpg

A6BC5E6D-51ED-414F-8C69-5508D8093892.jpg

As you can Imagine..this was a pretty special moment...and I knew Dad had to be smiling down upon me that morning. Mission accomplished!

Day one also had Dan tag a six point who must’ve been an absolute warrior as he was just battle scared and antlers showed a tough fight through the fall.

Day one also brought success to JR....his first year hunting and he was able to connect on a nice 4 point just as the afternoon sun was about to set.

5FF889FC-C667-4617-9A39-D35D4CA393B3.jpeg

We dragged both Dans and JT’s out in the dark in an absolute driving rain but Day 1 had been a success with some pretty high moments all around!

Day 2 Found me in a ground blind.....pretty comfortable to be honest. About 8 O’clock I saw a doe with yearling trot across in front of me....and they got a pass.....not long afterwards I turned my head and saw a big buck come out of the thick stuff and disappear as quickly as he had come out...but nothing doing he didn’t show again. I had taken a few minutes to eat a thickly packed turkey sandwich and poured a cup of coffee and was settling in for the long mid day wait.......few minutes before twelve I spotted a mature doe making good time in front of me and I was getting ready to take a shot when I saw the buck in back of her....I waited for him to come in from behind a pine tree and let one fly he stopped in the high grass and I sent off #2 and he took off.....to the ground! ( I’m stealing Russell bro line I Know ....but it’s too good to waste ). It was a classic moment...the one they write about and the one you dream off with a buck chasing the doe in the rut. This one I’ll remember for a while...for me it’s never about the size of a deer but the way in which it unfolded that makes the hunt meaningful. This was classic. The week ended with 6 hunters taking twelve deer.....a lot of great memories, friendships made....and plans already in the making for 2018. Thanks for walking along with me on this one.

20FFF65D-A3F1-494F-B4E8-D382CD7917AB.jpg

8F32F06D-EA58-4514-A55B-D7024B217CD5.jpg

848697CB-C80B-4B80-912B-D8EB09C97B4F.jpg

FCB675D2-EA67-4FE2-81A2-472640A7B506.jpg

Till next year!!! The Abandonded farm house will be waiting for us! Can’t Wait!

8B82DDA4-2876-4BD2-A0C1-C710348D964F.jpg

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Looks like a hell of a time. The Brooks alone had me excited!! Brian turned my family and I on to that place while visiting the Hall of Fame a few years ago. Awesome food, and better atmosphere.

arlow

Reaction score
Looks like an awesome time! Back before my kids I would spend a week with my best bud from college near lake otisco hunting. Now that they are old enough to not need constant supervision that will start to happen again! How far are you guys from the Tully exit on 81?

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Great write up and nice deer! Can't beat that, but what the hell is that satellite dish doing at camp?! You are only allowed to read hunting books by candlelight and play cribbage! DLuke did a great job on that Marlin, looks fantastic and glad you got to put her to use.

I see 3 different rifles in the pics, testing them all out?

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Looks like a hell of a time. The Brooks alone had me excited!! Brian turned my family and I on to that place while visiting the Hall of Fame a few years ago. Awesome food, and better atmosphere.
Thanks! And Yup....great atmosphere in Brooks....love the place. Brian put me onto it also....I?ve always wanted to visit the Hall of Fame out there but it?s going to have to be a summer trip to do it.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Looks like an awesome time! Back before my kids I would spend a week with my best bud from college near lake otisco hunting. Now that they are old enough to not need constant supervision that will start to happen again! How far are you guys from the Tully exit on 81?
You?re about 2 plus hours from Filmore, NY I think. Getting back to NY will be great for you....love the woods out there...rolling hills with small farms here and there. Hunting in an area with a really healthy deer herd is something you can get really excited about each year too.

Big D

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Sounds like you guys had a blast and were quite successful. Any pics from inside the bbq joint?:D Place sounds good.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

I have a 1951 Marlin 336sc in 35 Remington that was my Grand fathers. I used to hunt with it all the time until I had a bad fall in the woods that broke the stock and ruined the scope. I got a different stock for it but I haven't put another scope on it. I put a peep sight on it. As someone who has hunted the last 17 years with a scoped rifle, I can't bring myself to choose this rifle over a scoped rifle. It's like I have a mental block or a lack of confidence without my scope. I'm thinking I will scope it this summer and use it next season. Next year will be 10 years since I shot my last deer with it. It's a real tack driver and I've decided that its a shame that it sits in my cabinet. My grandpa shot a lot of deer with it. Someday when I'm old, I'd like to be able to say that I did the same.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Great write up and nice deer! Can't beat that, but what the hell is that satellite dish doing at camp?! You are only allowed to read hunting books by candlelight and play cribbage! DLuke did a great job on that Marlin, looks fantastic and glad you got to put her to use.

I see 3 different rifles in the pics, testing them all out?
Cribbage at camp is the best! We actually hardly watch tv to be honest. Dan such an awesome job on the wood...I really couldn’t believe the transformation.....it was a real gift for sure.

LOL! Funny you noticed and yes I used 3 different rifles. Dads gun actually had a jam in the action after I shot the doe so I decided to use my 7mm 08....of which I have 2. One for lousy rainy days and one for those nice clear cold days. All guns came out of their cases during the trip!!

Latest posts