Update time

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Congrats Pete. Persistence pays off bud. Was there much fat on him or was he run down pretty good?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Nice Report Pete! It is so rewarding to take one on the track! Congratulations on a great season. I always enjoy reading about the adventures you have with your kids. Keep up the good work!

Will there be a bullet picture in the Shockwave thread?
Good question - No, it was a complete pass through. I'll have some pics of entry/exit when I skin it. To be honest, I haven't even looked that close at where I hit him yet.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Congrats Pete. Persistence pays off bud. Was there much fat on him or was he run down pretty good?
Almost zero fat. I think thats why I got so many high weight guesses. His frame is big, his head is blocky, his front half is thick - but his back half was so skinny and even the gall fat around his guts seemed stretched thin. He also just wanted to lay down. He wanted to lay in the bigger bucks bed when I jumped him, I jumped him front another bed, and when I shot him he had decided there were nothing to worry about and started feeding again - I think he had a fun dating season and was ready for a nap.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
awesome write up and way to finish a season! My guess was 142, and the only reason I thought that is around thanksgiving the checked in deer weights dropped like a rock! Seeing alot of trophy bucks not tipping the scale over 150lbs.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
awesome write up and way to finish a season! My guess was 142, and the only reason I thought that is around thanksgiving the checked in deer weights dropped like a rock! Seeing alot of trophy bucks not tipping the scale over 150lbs.
Funny you should say that - I was scrolling through the VT Trophy Buck page today and was shocked at how lightweight so many of those giants were.

JDK

Reaction score
I probably should know this but did you use a Shockwave?

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Great day in the woods Pete !
Congrats on a nice buck !

Just curious . With all that rain did you have protection over the end of the barrel and over the breech ?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Great day in the woods Pete !
Congrats on a nice buck !

Just curious . With all that rain did you have protection over the end of the barrel and over the breech ?
I left a detail out of the story, but I guess I'll fess up....

When I jumped the buck, and saw the giant bed and track, I got all hot and bothered for a minute...and immediately dropped the muzzleloader in the wet, very packable snow. It filled the barrel and packed it too hard to clean with a stick. Typically I put electric tape over my muzzle, but forgot it this day. So - no, I didn't do much to protect it, but I ended up unloading the entire gun anyway, so I could make sure the barrel was clear, meaning I had fresh powder nuggets in there anyway.

***To make things worse, as I was reloading it, I was bent over using my back and shoulders as a roof over the breech. My hands were soaked and dripping, so I was trying to use a plastic bag to get the powder into the gun and ended up dropping all by 2 into the snow. So I had to make it happen the first time I pulled the trigger. If it didn't go off, or if I missed, I would have just turned around and walked to the truck.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Almost zero fat. I think thats why I got so many high weight guesses. His frame is big, his head is blocky, his front half is thick - but his back half was so skinny and even the gall fat around his guts seemed stretched thin. He also just wanted to lay down. He wanted to lay in the bigger bucks bed when I jumped him, I jumped him front another bed, and when I shot him he had decided there were nothing to worry about and started feeding again - I think he had a fun dating season and was ready for a nap.
Yeah so he’d probably been in the 170s early on. Good job Pete.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent Pete- what a great story! And a great buck!

I guessed 140, due to late season light weight, but who cares, a nice one! Way to stick with it.

(And I think some of the giants on the vt trophy page benefit greatly from some creative trophy holding/framing of pictures, which is fine, but funny to me)

VTHunter08

Reaction score
(And I think some of the giants on the vt trophy page benefit greatly from some creative trophy holding/framing of pictures, which is fine, but funny to me)
lol I've said the samething several times this year. Buddy sends a pic "look at this giant 8!" well I don't think he could push it any further away, and his fingers have more mass then the main beam, but hey good job on shooting an 8! haha

Big D

Reaction score
Great recap. looks like your crew had a fun season. Way to stick with it. My guess is 132#.;)

Latest posts