Update time

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
For those of you that are bored, here's a thread with some pics but only 1 deer hanging.

I forget where I updated last, but my oldest son Ethan got his first deer with a bow, and my youngest son Duke got his first deer ever during VT youth weekend. Longbow with be happy to hear that my daughter and I squeezed time out of her athletic schedule (we skipped 2 practices) and took some time to hunt. She missed a doe, but it was still awesome.

Opening weekend my younger cousin tagged a 3 pointer from camp, but that was it. We weren't seeing a ton of action but we don't care at camp. Thats more family and social than effective meat collecting.

I headed to northern NH for Thanksgiving week. Conditions weren't perfect, but we were on snow the entire time, so I can't complain. The action was pretty slow for me this year. There seemed to be a LOT of hunters, and not as many good tracks to take this year. I did follow an older track one day, just because I didn't have anything fresher to take, and he had a very nice looking track. He took me to the top of the mountain, where I was hoping he had bedded for about 8hrs, but instead found a scape:

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
He never bedded and instead.....Back down off the mountain....
He hit a logging road but his track came right back, running - he had obviously been spooked by a truck driving by. It was warm that day, and aging tire tracks was tough, and I thought it looked like a truck had gone up in the morning, meaning the "old" track I was following wasn't that old. Either way, he wanted to cross that road bad, looped around and crossed below.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
The swamp sucked. It took almost 2hrs to get through, and I went in up to my crotch at one point. When we came to the other side, the buck sniffed this tree, and it looks like a few others have scarred it up. There was pitch dripping everywhere and untilI got right on top of it, I didn't even recognize it as a rub.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Long story short, he was just too far ahead. Back at the truck and we see a nice one had walked right down the road....thanks to that buck for salt in the wound.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
We had a nice thanksgiving up north, then headed back home for the last couple days of rifle season in VT. Duke went with me and was pumped to find a nice rub. He's very proud, as you can tell...I'm sure it was a Booner that made it..

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
There was someone in the spot we wanted to hunt, so we turned around and went to spot #2, but as you can tell from the iphone screen I could see from 200yrds away with my binocs, someone was in this spot too....

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Snow came in time for muzzleloader season, so we headed back to camp. We had tons of fun, made a ton of memories and even shot a deer. It looked like a doe, but had both of its spikes broke off right at the skull. Of course.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Monday was forecast for warm rain, and I came down with snow fever pretty bad. I wasn't able to work at all that day. I headed to the national forest big woods. I drove some logging roads, almost got stuck until May a couple times, then took a 2 mile loop in cement/snow over my boots without seeing a single good track all the way up to 2900ft. I was soaked, because it POURED the entire time. I went back to the truck with my tail between my legs, set my trail cams on some roadside migration trails, then decided I'd just track down a tall cup of coffee. Then a voice came into my head, not so politely informing me that this might be my last day to hunt for the year, and because life is short, you never know if its the last day ever, so I should hike up my skirt and make something happen.
So I headed to a different mountain to try and cut a track. The rain stopped for a minute, and I took that as a sign. I shouldn't have, because the moment I left the truck, the sky opened up again, but at that time I was half way up and already wet. The higher I went, the more tracks I started to see. They were old, but it was something. I tried to stay south of the buck bed I'd seen before, but not south enough...I jumped something off the ridge above. When I got up there, I saw a LARGE bed with walking tracks out of it. I was confused. With more investigation, I noticed 2 different buck tracks. And older, and bigger, track - along with a smoking fresh but smaller track. It was almost 2pm, so I took the fresher one determined to catch him by closing time.
Long story short(er) I stayed on him much more aggressively than I typically do. The rain hid my noise but I still jumped him again. Around 330p I saw a deer standing in the softwoods 100yrds ahead, and I knew it was him, but couldn't confirm it because he kept his head up high in the spruce bows watching his backtrack. We farted around for almost an hour as I tried to move when he did and get a good look at his head. Eventually I got a look at his front shoulder, which looked plenty big, along with one side of his rack, which looked acceptable - so I took the shot. He bounded off in a relaxed way, I was sure I missed. No blood, no hair, but I could see that he stumbled a little, and sure enough, he was dead 50yrds away.
I gutted him, cut a branch to drag with, planned what way I wanted to head out of the woods, and it was all of a sudden dark. Guess who didn't have his headlamp? If I didn't want to go back up and over the mountain, it was going to be 1.6 miles of dragging in the dark. Whatever...its the price of admission, so hike up the skirt and get dragging. I was pumped to get one hooked to my drag rope on what might be the last day.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I know its hard to tell from a pic, but anyone want to guess his weight? I guessed the closest of everyone that saw him, but thats not fair, because he and I had some quality time together, giving me a head start. Hanging and in the back of the truck, I had some interesting guesses. Anyone care to take a shot?

Browseline

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Nice pictures and buck! You really stayed with it. I'll take a guess at 133 lbs. I apologize ahead of time if I way underestimated his weight.

Flatlander

Reaction score
145 ? The only thing I can use for comparrison is the bucket. Congratulations on a nice buck and excellent season.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Yeah, exactly....tough buck to guess. When he was laying on the ground, I thought 180lbs. When I started dragging I thought 400lbs. When I put him in the truck I thought 105lbs. But...as always, Browse wins with his guess. This buck was only 132lbs. The guy that checked him in second guessed his scale....I wasn't worried about the weight - I was pumped to finish the season with him knowing I'd never catch the big one.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Congrats Pete! Thanks for the recap. He looks short but stout, my guess was in the 140’s.

Persistence kills waaaaay more bucks than hot coffee!!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Nice Report Pete! It is so rewarding to take one on the track! Congratulations on a great season. I always enjoy reading about the adventures you have with your kids. Keep up the good work!

Will there be a bullet picture in the Shockwave thread?

Latest posts