Unforgettable Hunt

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I always clear my muzzleloader after every hunt and reload as I am heading in...learned the hard way and didn't like what happened when I didn't.
I'm new to inlines, been shooting and still shoot the traditional's since 1980. I would imagine I could just remove the breech plug and push the bullet and power out the bottom. Correct?

Fixed blade

Reaction score
I'm new to inlines, been shooting and still shoot the traditional's since 1980. I would imagine I could just remove the breech plug and push the bullet and power out the bottom. Correct?
That’s what I do. When I bring my gun in the house I pull the plug tap the pellets out and ram the bullet down and out. I’m sure cause I load pellets I probably could leave the bullet in and just put new pellets in but never tried that. Seem like anything new I try with a muzzle loader it ends up biting me in the butt. I've learned the hard way.

Browseline

Reaction score
Great story! Congratulations on a nice buck! I guess it pays to have plenty of speed loaders. I used to carry just 5 when I hunted with a muzzle loader.

amclimber

Reaction score
That one was meant to be, congrats! Really enjoyed the story and the "hurdles" you had to clear to make this one happen. Awesome all the way around.

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
Yes...it is so easy there is no reason not to. Good on you for still using a traditional muzzleloader...mine are ready to go again...maybe someday!

BDB

Reaction score
That is what I do with my CVA Optima.

Big D

Reaction score
Crazy story right there. I'm glad it worked out in the end. I can't imagine what was going through your mind at the time. Probably thought about wrapping that gun around a tree.:mad: Congrats on a nice buck.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Oh man, I've been waiting for this recap. This is awesome, and that is a great VT buck. I'm sure he could have been a 3-pointer, and you would have been pumped because you got him using a new and exciting method. Having a rack like that is frosting on the cake.

I do have questions for you though.....and some are weird, so bear with me. I'll ask them here in case it benefits anyone else on the board that is broadening their methods like you and I are.

You mentioned this deer had a narrow chest. Do you have pics of the track? I find myself being too picky on VT tracks sometimes. I'm thinking that I need to take more tracks that aren't "great". I'm sure that buck was 175lbs or so pre-rut, so I'd love to know more detail.

Was his hoof track wide, and only his chest was narrow?
Or did he have narrow boot too?
Did he leave any turds on his track?
If so, were they bigger or smaller than the typical nuggets you see in that area?
Pete,

Pause that video I posted around 1:45. You can check out his track size and chest width.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Congrats! Nice buck...amazing how some can be so wary but then you run into one that has a death wish!

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Stevie Wonder could have followed that blood trail. Congratulations on a well earned buck!

VTHunter08

Reaction score
cool video! amazing all that blood and it took him that long to expire!

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
Believe it or not, it was probably an hour and a half after the shot before he expired. These animals are tough.
Nice video...brings it alive. It is incredible how tough they are and how wounds bleed differently...when you see that much blood you are expecting a quicker recovery. I shot my buck this year through the heart and I estimate that he went about 200 yards...amazed me that he could run that far.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Pete,

Pause that video I posted around 1:45. You can check out his track size and chest width.

Yeah, thats great. at 1:47 where he stepped over the log gives a good perspective too. Every year I try to use hindsight to make adjustments for the next season, and this reinforces one change I need to make...

I need to lower my standards in VT. I've passed up many tracks up in the GMNF that in hindsight, I definitely should have followed. The dream is a lifetime of 200lb'ers, but at the point I'm at in my hunting career, I'd be thrilled to have a bunch of 160lb+ bucks with good racks. The buck I tracked and shot last year would have been one I passed up if it wasn't the last day of the season. After I shot him, I was thrilled with it. It sounds like you weren't all that impressed with the track from this buck either, but I bet you're thrilled with the result. So next year, I'm going to be less picky. We have the luxury of living within a couple hours drive of NY/NH/ME/MA, and I can always just buy another tag in another state. Or, I can spend all season trying to find a 200lb track in VT. (Oddly enough, the last day I hunted the GMNF this year, the buck I was on seemed to have a very good shot at being 200lbs, which leads me to the OTHER change I need to make next year...)

As you mentioned, you got all hot and bothered - and ended up going too fast on a buck. I've done that several times, and mostly on purpose. When I find a good track, but it looks old, my immediate thought is, "Hammer down and cut some time - if you bump it, so what". However, what has happened is that I've followed an old track way too fast, only to find the buck was 8hrs ahead of me but he laid in his bed for 7.5hrs and I blew him out. So I need to slow down, even if it means I might not catch up to the deer.

Again, great job and awesome buck.

Latest posts