Underground Dog fences

tobydog

Reaction score
I just had one installed yesterday for my 3 dogs. They seem to have taken to the initial on leash training pretty well. I was wondering if anyone has any experience training dogs to stay within the perimeter? The guidance I got from the installer was to walk them up the flags to get a correction yesterday and walk them away quickly and after that only close enough to the flag that I can hit the flag while yelling "flag", walk them away and give them praise.

They seem to be catching on pretty quickly but I was wondering what, if any experience you guys may have?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I have used the wireless perimeter systems for years on two dogs here and at the seasonal camps I rent. To train them I would correct them at the beep, not the shock. I would walk them close to the line, if they got to the flag which was the spot it would beep, I would correct them on the leash, and say good boy. My last dog took one shock and then the beep would turn him to the house for the rest of his life. My current lab just hates the beep and trained to that. I can put that receiver anywhere even at a friends house and the beep turns him back.

tobydog

Reaction score
I have used the wireless perimeter systems for years on two dogs here and at the seasonal camps I rent. To train them I would correct them at the beep, not the shock. I would walk them close to the line, if they got to the flag which was the spot it would beep, I would correct them on the leash, and say good boy. My last dog took one shock and then the beep would turn him to the house for the rest of his life. My current lab just hates the beep and trained to that. I can put that receiver anywhere even at a friends house and the beep turns him back.
Thanks for the feedback.

My 3 (Lab, mutt and Yorkie - daughter's dog:) seem to be taking to it pretty quickly. So far I have done all on leash training. Except this morning, I let the yorkie out on her own to see what she would do because she is terrified of the flags. Surprisingly she made a bee line for a flag, got zapped and ran back to the back door. I had to leash her to get her to do her business. The good news is that the system works very well and the dogs are very aware that 'something is up in the yard'. I don't think it will be too much longer before they have it all figured out. My plan is more leash training until Saturday then, take them out one at a time off leash and see how they do. My wife is thinking that it is a bit much that we need to put them in the truck at night to drive them over the perimeter for their walk so they won't walk over it and get confused. The installer suggested this go on for a month. Not sure my wife will be on board for that:) She thinks they are 'smart enough' to know. I disagree:)

JJM6

Reaction score
I have a 2yr old GSD. Put my invisible fence in when she was 6 months old. I live in a residential neighborhood with a side walk between my property and the road. We have low vehicle traffic but lots of walkers and dog walkers. We trained with the white flags and about two weeks worth of perimeter walks. I would recommend this to anyone. She will run or walk right up to the edge but never break. Mine is an edge to edge set-up, no beep as I wanted to give her as much room as possible. I don't put her out unattended but don't hesitate to run in the house for a couple of minutes at a time when I need to. What amazes me is how she knows when she's on leash she can stroll right through it. When off leash, won't even think about it. Mine is a pet safe brand. Best $1500 I've ever spent, for her and I.

Latest posts