Turkey Tornados

Meatseeker

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite recipes for wild turkey. It works well with duck, goose, and venison also. Virtually everybody will like these!

Turkey Tornados - serve as an appetizer or entr?e with wild rice and green vegetable

Ingredients:

- 2 whole wild turkey breast
-1/2 cup soy sauce
-1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups water
-1 TBS Black Pepper
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 2 TBS fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 Large Bell Pepper - Red or Orange preferred
- 2 Large White Onions
- 1/2 lb fresh Shitake Mushrooms
- 2 lbs Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 1 package of tooth picks

Instructions:

Marinade: In a large mixing bowl add the water, soy, brown sugar, black pepper, lime juice, and minced garlic. Stir thoroughly and let sit.

Turkey: Cut turkey breast into 1/2" by 7" strips and add to the marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours. While turkey is marinating soak the tooth picks in water for 2 hours as well.

Vegetables: Cut the onions, mushrooms, and peppers into pieces that are a roughly 1/2" by 2" . You don't have to be exact. For a small mushroom cutting in half is about right. You just want to make sure that none of the vegetable pieces are so thick that they will not cook while wrapped in the middle of the bacon and turkey.

Construct the Tornadoes: On a large cutting board or platter. Lay out a strip of bacon, then lay a turkey and finally add a piece of one of the vegetables. Carefully role it up so that the bacon is the outside layer, turkey in between, and vegetable in the middle. Use the water logged toothpick to skewer the Tornado to hold it together while cooking.

Cooking: On a gas grill on medium heat (400 to 475 F) place the Tornados on the top rack of the grill and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn the Tornados over every 5 minutes or so. When done the bacon will be well browned all over but not charred black.

Enjoy! I made these last night with the Tom I killed this week.

Last edited: