Turkey Hunting in the Rain

medrhunter

Reaction score
I was looking forward to getting out tomorrow as it will be the last day for me.
Unfortunately, weather forecast is nasty rain, all day.
Is it worth heading out?
How does rain change behavior?
Do I need to change tactics?

longbow

Reaction score
If you know there are turkeys around then I think it will be worth it. Can't shoot one from your couch.;) And, I agree, often see them out in the fields in the rain.

Escout711

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw 9 male birds, mix of toms and jakes, courting 1 hen in the middle of a field in a steady rain. I got out of the truck and walked within 20 yards before they moved. Do it!!

lester2

Reaction score
I’ve killed many birds, including my biggest, in the rain. Sneaking along field edges in good rain gear, calling softly until I get a response has worked well for me. Try it and good luck.

medrhunter

Reaction score
I toughed it and spent the entire day in the rain.
Good news is I was able to sneak around real quiet.
I jumped so many deer at 20 yards or less I stopped counting. (Notes for bow season :D )
I spent about 2 hours in each of the spots where I have seen the most Turkeys.
Called in 3 separate hens, no gobblers.
My box call got wet so it became useless.
I started working the fields using a crow call, looking for a response. Nothing.
I went back to the truck, dried out the box call, and back out I went.
I was sneaking along a thick, but narrow hedgerow, working my way to the next field and I bumped two huge gobblers.
Over the river and through the woods to grandmothers house they went. Lost sight of them.
Never made a sound. I circled back around and set up where I thought they may come out, but nothing.
Season over.

One of these days I'll get the hang of it. Still looking for my first one.
NJ is terrible the way they have the permit system setup, so time in the field is limited for me.

But, still had fun and some lessons were learned.
I know my new rain gear works and will be fine when I win my Moose permit in two weeks!
Need to learn how to use mouth calls.

longbow

Reaction score
Sounds like you did a lot right, calling in the hens and all. Could have been a gobbler tagging along. Bumping turkeys happens. The moose lottery is exciting, can't wait.