Trijicon 3x9x40

lester2

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these? Hunting friend is selling one and I’m interested. It has the red triangle reticle and will probably go on a Remington 788 in .308, my “sitting” rifle. Not sure yet what he’s asking for it but if he’s in the $500 range I think that’d be about right. Thoughts??

lester2

Reaction score
Yes, that’s the one. His is the non battery powered one, the Accupoint.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I would buy a new one for 600, rather than a used one for 500. I have not priced them so I'm not sure how low you could get a new one for.

Also, I have never used one so I don't know how they are.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
A friend of mine bought that same scope. He hated it . He said the triangle stays the same size in all magnifications. So when the scope is on 3 power and the target is at 75 yards , it covers too much of the target . He brought it back and bought a Leupold 3x9 VXR Firedot Duplex scope instead and loves it . The red dot has 8 different size settings . I have a Leupold VX6 Firedot . I keep my firedot set on no higher than 3 when sitting . Mostly on 1 or 2 when Im still hunting . The only thing is you need get 30mm rings . That firedot does give you fast target acquisition.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought that same scope. He hated it . He said the triangle stays the same size in all magnifications. So when the scope is on 3 power and the target is at 75 yards , it covers too much of the target . He brought it back and bought a Leupold 3x9 VXR Firedot Duplex scope instead and loves it . The red dot has 8 different size settings . I have a Leupold VX6 Firedot . I keep my firedot set on no higher than 3 when sitting . Mostly on 1 or 2 when Im still hunting . The only thing is you need get 30mm rings . That firedot does give you fast target acquisition.

I would imagine that the battery lasts quite a while? Can you still see the crosshairs OK with no illumination?

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I would imagine that the battery lasts quite a while? Can you still see the crosshairs OK with no illumination?
See the crosshairs perfect. Its a normal crosshair when the firedot is off . My battery lasted for 3 hunting seasons.
The battery has been in there since 2017 hunting season . It started fading out at the end of the week I was up in Maine this year.
I will have to put a new battery in for next season

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
See the crosshairs perfect. Its a normal crosshair when the firedot is off . My battery lasted for 3 hunting seasons.
The battery has been in there since 2017 hunting season . It started fading out at the end of the week I was up in Maine this year.
I might look into one of those. Need to buy something after Christmas 😁

hammertime

Reaction score
VX-R is a great choice. But, I really like my accupoint 1-4x24. It has duplex reticle with a green dot. This thing is clear and that green dot just jumps out at you. I put it on a brand new BAR mk3 in .308. I carried it this year and shot an 8 pt. 202 lb buck. I think the Leupold can be had for 1/2 price of the trijicon and would seriously consider the Leupold

Mikejd

Reaction score
Its an incredible scope. The triangle illuminates on Tritium. And you are supposed to sight in with the tip of the triangle almost like you would with a peep sight or a ghost ring style peep sight. The triangle enables very fast target acquisition way faster then any crosshair could. I believe you will love the scope. My opinion it may be the best scope out there.

medrhunter

Reaction score

The cold really impacts the battery life on these.
I always carry a spare in my pocket

Mikejd

Reaction score
1577543032681.png If its this one that triangle is illuminated with tritium wich is a radioactive isotope. No batteries required. I have a trijicon accupin bow sight with the same post. I remeber one time I was sitting in my treestand in the dark waiting for sun to come up. My bow was hanging next to me. I remeber saying to myself I did not know I could see a road from here I cant believe i can see a street light. Thinking to myself i must have just caught the right angle were I could see a light of some sort. Eventually I realized it was just my pin on my sight. Now that was in total darkness and no batteries at all.

NY Hunter

Reaction score
$500 is a lot for a used scope that is probably out of warranty. Check out the price for a new one which will have a warranty.

OldHunter

Reaction score
The Trijicon Accupoint 3x9x40 scope illuminates the triangular aiming point through a proprietary fiber optics system. There is no battery involved in the illumination. The tritium is system is useful when there is no light to illuminate the fiber optics system. Since tritium is radioactive it has a half life. So after 5 or 10 years (or whatever the half life of tritium is) the illumination of the aiming point by tritium is reduced by 50%. This is in no way an issue unless you are hunting at night.
This scope in my opinion is the fastest in target acquisition. Its down sides are: the size and weight of the scope, the large objective lens which is an issue if hunting in the rain or with snow present and the cost.
I replaced mine with a peep sight. Its much easier to carry and is accurate enough for the typical 30 yard North Woods shots.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Optics Planet has Trijicon scopes on sale. The TR 20 red triangle is $598

Latest posts