Tried out a new call this year...

Parker650

Reaction score
Two years ago at the Worcester Sportsman's show I bought a Lohman snort deer call after sitting in on a Peter Fiduccia seminar. I figured I might give it a try under the right circumstances.

Well, this past Friday and walked up on a skipper and a doe. The skipper ended up walking up to about 20 feet from me to check me out. With the wind in my face he just continued to feed and snuck behind a knoll next to me. I blew on that snort call lightly and drew the doe in from about 50 yards and had her attention for about 30 mins. It was pretty neat.

On Saturday morning (the last day of our 10 day trip) I was standing on the top of the side hill where I had seen those deer looking down into young and thick beach/oak and decent deer sign. As I was about to set my climber up I hear deer walking towards me, from the bottom of the hill. Two make it past me in the thick stuff across the sidehill about 50 yards away from me, it was just too thick, all I could see was a leg or flash of brown every once in a while. They were on their way headed down and away from me, soon to be long gone. Again, I had the wind directly in my face, looking down the hill towards the deer and figured I'd hit the call and see what happened. I blew one hard blow and they stopped...but I immediately noticed a deer move to my right. A doe had held up while the first two passed, she had me pegged and was looking dead at me between some trees at 50 yards. I think I moved or something and she blew (and so did 3 other deer with her) and they all exploded in different directions, snorting and bounding away.

At this point you could imagine my first four letter thought...so I grab the call quickly and blew twice hard with about 2 or 3 seconds in between each snort...although I couldn't see them, I heard them hit the brakes after the second snort....and about 15-20 seconds later I hear footsteps coming right back toward me. She got in to the same 50 yards, stomping and head-bobbing at me, trying to find the source of the call. I had dropped to my knees but she had me pinned from the get go and never really took her eyes off me. I had heard multiple steps so I knew there were other deer with her, how many, I couldn't figure out, but three had already bounded down the hill. I didn't move or snort and after about 5-6 minutes of bobbing and stomping she blew and bounded off. I blew twice more at her the same way and got the exact response. She jacked on the brakes and came back, even closer. I had the bead on her shoulder (had a doe permit and was going to use it) but my mind was running thinking that if I brought her back 3 times, maybe she'd continue out in front of me (had the wind blowing from her to me directly up hill at me, perfect scenario) and the other deer with her would show, maybe it was a buck. Well she must have seen my breath or something b/c I hadn't moved and she simply had enough. The snorted hard and loud and took off full steam back where she came from blowing and snorting the whole way with the other deer that was with her. I saw them both leap a downed tree 125 yards out but didn't see head gear. Guy that was on top of the hill hunting with me heard the whole 20-30 minute scenario, me snorting, the deer snorting, running, stopping, walking back and so on. He said it was almost as enjoyable listening to me play with these deer than to take one. He saw them off to his right as they ran away. He managed to stop them with a doe bleat. He said the first deer, the one that stayed behind the doe I was blowing at, was a nice buck. He couldn't get a shot with a bunch of blow downs in front of him and watched him disappear.

Oh well, I didn't realize they were there in the first place. Had I not blown that call, that doe and buck would probably have walked thru an opening below me and I would have had a nice buck this year...maybe not...but I have never brought snorting deer back, nonetheless 3 times...it was fun, but it would have been nice to have gotten him.

Lesson learned...and after using this call, I highly recommend it. I keep it tied on the same line as my grunt tube. I only planned on using it to stop a running deer that I might jump. This scenario that played out may prove to be the proof in the pudding. I doubted this call...until now.

SwampBuck

Reaction score
You know I have been using calls for a while now and had limited success. I have used the this year and I swear, I am burning myself by doing so. As I think back in the past, you know what comes to mind as the best call I have used? whistling, believe it or not. I think I am gonna give up on calls all together and see what happens. As far as a snort, I never considered using that as that is a caution call if anything. But what do I know, I just said I have no luck with calls so.....

Isaiah

Reaction score
Originally posted by SwampBuck
But what do I know, I just said I have no luck with calls so.....
Only one time a few years ago I saw a buck about 100 yards away. I blew 2 grunt calls. That deer came running so fast. Before I knew it the buck was 20 yards from me. That was the only time a deer call worked for me.

I never had much luck with calls.

Bill M

Reaction score
That call sounds very interesting to me. I may have to get one of those. Hal Blood, in his book, highly recommends the snort call. I have immitated it with my mouth a few times and it does stop them sometimes but usually in a spot where I can't see them.

Posted

Reaction score
I've got the exact call. I found just blowing into my hand and making the same sound works well also. Learn when deer blow and why and it can be a great trick to add to your game. If a deer blows once I will blow back and stomp the ground with my hand a couple times. I've had does come right to me. If they blow 3 or more times FORGETTABOUTIT! That means get the hell outta here to all other deer. At least what I've learnt.

Good luck.

Split-Hoof

Reaction score
I think I might pick one of those up for next year. It would have maybe come in handy today! My call actually came with a cheesy plastic tube that was supposed to be for the snort.wheeze, but I couldn't get it to sound realistic so I broke that part off. Is this call easy to use?

You'd be surprised how many times you can call in deer that are mildly spooked and blowing/snorting at you. I've done it using the doe bleat before, and this year I did it by voice grunting for the first time. A little buck came walking right up to investigate, I froze - he ran off blowing again, I grunted again - he came back. It's fun playing with them like that!

Parker650

Reaction score
I paid $10 for it, the show those deer put on for me was worth the price of admission. Check ebay for it, thats where I got the pic from.

Split...it is super simple to use, you basically blow into the call sideways, like a harmonica (not from the ends). I honestly doubted this call until last weekend. I won't doubt it again. It sounds like a deer blowing with a slight wheeze to it.

Swamp...I agree with you. 'Calling in' deer is a bit different and I have never had ANY success doing so. I've used my grunt tube to stop two bucks that I shot, but other than that I have had zero success 'calling them in'. I bought this for the reason that I had jumped deer on several occasions when they couldn't really see me and they definately couldn't smell me (I was downwind) and they took off blowing...if they didn't really know what it was that jumped them I figured this might get them to come back. Like any 'hunting tool/gadget' it works under certain conditions. Everything needs to be in your favor to make it work. If something just isn't right, forget about it. My experience last weekend couldn't have been better (except that I was easily visable to the deer that I didn't see).

I would be interested in someone else having a similar experience with it. One thing I'm hung up on is if it worked so well for me, why aren't a lot of hunters using it???

lonewolf04422

Reaction score
I believe alot of other hunters dont use them cause they think a snort is a sound that alarms them of danger. I looked it up a couple weeks ago and found out there is like 6 different snorts a deer does depending on tone and length of the call. Also read a article in north american hunter tonight about calls they were saying the problem with people and calls is they dont use them enough. He goes on describing rattling that he does it every 15 mins and no less then a couple times an hr during the heat of the rut and he uses the grunt tube more then that. So some people these days still think u shouldnt use ur call alot when the truth is they wont come if they cant hear it. So blow on that call all u want. I think i just might pick up that call parker sounds good and from ur post today it works.

Latest posts