Treestand recommendations

Reaction score
I am looking to get some new treestands for bow hunting and rifle. I was searching for a nice climber. One particular area i hunt is mostly hardwoods and alot of growing choppings. I was thinking of the xop ambush sit and climb. 4 in carrying profile and 18 lbs. Many of these areas i have quite a walk to. I was going to go with summit but they are very bulky when carrying and are not a nice sleak profile. What are your thoughts and recommendations? I do also have mobile set ups with light weight poetable and climbing sticks. Should i invest in a climber at all?

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I went from light hang-on's with sticks, to climbers(summit viper), then small light climbers(summit openshot), to a saddle. Nice walking miles in without something swinging off my back, and also not having to be picky on what tree to use. Works well for my style of hunting, where I very seldom ever say I hunt out of the same tree twice a season. Last year was my first year with the saddle it it panned out pretty well for me.

lester2

Reaction score
I went from light hang-on's with sticks, to climbers(summit viper), then small light climbers(summit openshot), to a saddle. Nice walking miles in without something swinging off my back, and also not having to be picky on what tree to use. Works well for my style of hunting, where I very seldom ever say I hunt out of the same tree twice a season. Last year was my first year with the saddle it it panned out pretty well for me.
While I really like my summit viper I’m kind of intrigued by the whole saddle concept. I did some mountaineering training in the army so I’m comfortable with ropes, knots and harnesses. I guess I need to see somebody’s rig and how it sets up and works. I’ve read up on them and watched a couple videos but it’s not the same as seeing it in person!

VTHunter08

Reaction score
While I really like my summit viper I’m kind of intrigued by the whole saddle concept. I did some mountaineering training in the army so I’m comfortable with ropes, knots and harnesses. I guess I need to see somebody’s rig and how it sets up and works. I’ve read up on them and watched a couple videos but it’s not the same as seeing it in person!
I really liked my viper too, super comfortable, but hauling it into the woods was an undertaking. Then I really liked my openshot, and killed alot of deer out of it, but getting to the "perfect spot" and not able to find a bean pole tree was frustrating sometimes. I wear my saddle in, have 7 wild edge steps clipped to my side. I use an aider between steps, and my platform is usually at 20ish feet. All my knots are pretied, and I use my. I keep my linemans belt and my tether in a pouch on my side. climb with my linemans belt, get to the top, attach my tether, and store my linemans belt for my decent. pretty easy, and surprisingly comfortable. Haven't done an all day sit in it yet though so we'll see.

Reaction score
I think ill go with the xop ambush sit and climb. 18 lbs, 4 inch carry width .

Latest posts