Treestand recommendations

Reaction score
I am looking to get some new treestands for bow hunting and rifle. I was searching for a nice climber. One particular area i hunt is mostly hardwoods and alot of growing choppings. I was thinking of the xop ambush sit and climb. 4 in carrying profile and 18 lbs. Many of these areas i have quite a walk to. I was going to go with summit but they are very bulky when carrying and are not a nice sleak profile. What are your thoughts and recommendations? I do also have mobile set ups with light weight poetable and climbing sticks. Should i invest in a climber at all?

BDB

Reaction score
I have that XOP Ambush. It is lightweight and easy. Not as stable up in the tree as the Summit's like the viper but much less bulky and easy for longer hikes in. I also like not having a bar in the front for bow hunting. That said I also like the XOP hang on stands and the lone wolf sticks. I have had mine a while I suspect XOP has clones of the Lone wold sticks as well. Bottom line for me I like both the hang on and the climber depending on where I am hunting so I'd say if you have the budget for it get both. I have 4 of the XOP hang on stands now and have gotten rid of my other hang on stands. Also with the hang on stands the option mounting bracket makes setup nice and easy. The bracket straps to the tree and you remove the top section on the stand that would normally go against the tree.

Reaction score
I have that XOP Ambush. It is lightweight and easy. Not as stable up in the tree as the Summit's like the viper but much less bulky and easy for longer hikes in. I also like not having a bar in the front for bow hunting. That said I also like the XOP hang on stands and the lone wolf sticks. I have had mine a while I suspect XOP has clones of the Lone wold sticks as well. Bottom line for me I like both the hang on and the climber depending on where I am hunting so I'd say if you have the budget for it get both. I have 4 of the XOP hang on stands now and have gotten rid of my other hang on stands. Also with the hang on stands the option mounting bracket makes setup nice and easy. The bracket straps to the tree and you remove the top section on the stand that would normally go against the tree.

Reaction score
Yeah i just bought the xop ambush as my climber. I liked how its compact and not bulky as i have some good hikes in and can be thick walking. Ive always had portable treestands but heavy. Ive sold some of those. I wanted the xop vanish but i have a budget. Im getting the hawk helium xl with hawk helium sticks. Not sure if im getting standard 30 in or the minis. Im also getting a cheaper rivers edge which is 15 lbs. I normally hang my portables and leave anyways.. so ill use these and couple of my heavy ones overlooking the bogs and swales. Next year ill invest in xop vanish and maybe better sticks but we will see.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a Lone Wolf Hand Climber. Folds flat and light. Silent set up. Maybe not as comfortable as some of the others, but very high quality. I can't have a bar around me with my longbow. Takes a little bit of athletic ability to use more than a sit and climb. I've had mine for about 15 years. Lone Wolf sit and climb is easier to climb with, but takes a little more set up time and is bulkier.
https://lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/products/hand-climber-combo-ll

Was looking at the XOP that you mentioned. That looks a lot like the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb. I have one of those also. That rarely gets used.

Maybe unadvisable, but I removed the straps that connect the top and the bottom sections on the hand climber. One less thing to mess with. Never lost the bottom of the platform in 15 years. :D (y)

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Maybe unadvisable, but I removed the straps that connect the top and the bottom sections on the hand climber. One less thing to mess with. Never lost the bottom of the platform in 15 years. :D (y)

I did just the opposite. I've bought the straps for the sides on every climber I've ever owned since climbing with the lone wolf. I like the comfort of knowing I can put all my weight in one corner and the entire house of cards isn't coming out from under me.

BDB

Reaction score
Well it would certainly suck to be 15 feet up and the bott slips down out of your reach o_O. Maybe not as big of a deal with a hand climber vs a sit and climb (never tried one. I also like how the side straps lock in the stand. I have found them not needed for stability on my Summit Viper but it does add stability to the less stable XOP. It's not that it's NOT stable but the viper is rock solid once set.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Well it would certainly suck to be 15 feet up and the bott slips down out of your reach o_O. Maybe not as big of a deal with a hand climber vs a sit and climb (never tried one. I also like how the side straps lock in the stand. I have found them not needed for stability on my Summit Viper but it does add stability to the less stable XOP. It's not that it's NOT stable but the viper is rock solid once set.
15 feet is about as high as I go. I'm pretty selective in my trees. I almost never go in one that is so big that I couldn't shimmy down it. I actually had to shimmy down a tree once when I lost the bottom of one of the old Bakers many years ago. :D The Lone Wolfs are pretty sticky and don't like to drop to far.

arlow

Reaction score
Yeah i just bought the xop ambush as my climber. I liked how its compact and not bulky as i have some good hikes in and can be thick walking. Ive always had portable treestands but heavy. Ive sold some of those. I wanted the xop vanish but i have a budget. Im getting the hawk helium xl with hawk helium sticks. Not sure if im getting standard 30 in or the minis. Im also getting a cheaper rivers edge which is 15 lbs. I normally hang my portables and leave anyways.. so ill use these and couple of my heavy ones overlooking the bogs and swales. Next year ill invest in xop vanish and maybe better sticks but we will see.

I bought two of the Hawk Helium Pro stands last year and love them. Huge platform 24" x 30" and super light at 12 lbs. Using them as my hang and hunt set up with 4 lonewolf sticks.

Latest posts