Trapper Population increase?

Soupy1957

Reaction score
There's a 20-something fella in my workplace, who just completed his required "Trapping Course," given by the DEP.

We talked a bit about it, since he knows I'm a hunter, and like the woods and all that.

I found it interesting that there was a young fella (I know there are others of course), going into something that perhaps doesn't get as much attention or activity as other types of game acquisition.

"Trapping" seemed to me to be a form of hunting from the past that was predominantly "in the past." I've seen some videos of folks "Trapping," so I'm not saying I don't believe it's done today, or anything like that. Of course it is "done today."

Just don't hear that often, from young folks in these parts of New England, doing Trapping as a given choice. I have friends who HAVE been "Trappers," but they gave it up. When I asked them "why," they said the price of the pelts wasn't like it used to be. THEY, apparently, were "Trapping" for the money. Not the meat. They would EAT the meat of certain types of their catches, but it was primarily for the money.

I wonder, nationwide, how "Trapping" is doing, as a form of hunting, in terms of the numbers? Has the SPCTA or PETA forced them out by Legislative restriction?
Is there any money in Trapping anymore, like my farmer, friend, former Trapper says?

-Soupy

hornz

Reaction score
Trapping is alive and well. Fur prices this past fall were as high as they were 25 years ago. I averaged $14.44 for my muskrats and $200 for my female fisher. Neil Olsens Trappers Weekend is in Bethel Maine every August. They come from all over, thousands of people. Trapperman forums.com has 3 to 5 pages of New posts everyday, even in the off seasons.

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I believe N.H to have between 350-400 licensed trappers. PETA and other legislators make a run at them every spring, but for a small number these guys seem to be very organized and do quite well in getting anti-trapping bills shot down.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I agree with Hornz. Every NH trapper Ed course is always filled up.

I've been trying to take the class for several years and things have not worked out yet. Either they fill up before I can sign up or my schedule is too full to get to one.

I think the majority of "former" trappers are people (myself included) who did it in high school for extra cash and then went onto college or full time work. Higher gas and lower fur prices might have stopped some as well.

$10+ a muskrat would put some money in a high school students pockets so I can see them picking it up.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I agree with Hornz. Every NH trapper Ed course is always filled up.

I've been trying to take the class for several years and things have not worked out yet. Either they fill up before I can sign up or my schedule is too full to get to one.

I think the majority of "former" trappers are people (myself included) who did it in high school for extra cash and then went onto college or full time work. Higher gas and lower fur prices might have stopped some as well.

$10+ a muskrat would put some money in a high school students pockets so I can see them picking it up.
Same here. I had a pretty good line going when I was a kid. Prices dropped when I was in high school, and without the money, the drive to skin everything went away. After college, I never picked it back up. I assume I'll have to take the course since its been so long for me, but I have intentions on getting back into it. Not for the money though - just because I don't want to be the generation responsible for the loss of a traditional skill. I'll pass it on to my boys, then they can decide if they keep the chain going. It sure is fun to go check that line...like walking through the woods to find open a christmas present.

Soupy1957

Reaction score
And............while you're out there............deep in the woods.......I'm assuming you have brought a gun along, given the possibility of running into a bear, or whatever. It's a "plus/plus" situation!

NH Mountains

Reaction score
And............while you're out there............deep in the woods.......I'm assuming you have brought a gun along, given the possibility of running into a bear, or whatever. It's a "plus/plus" situation!
I used to bring a hatchet and/or a 22 when I trapped. Mostly water sets so didn't need to shoot to many things.

I'm not too scared about any animals in the deep woods except a sow with cubs in the dark can get a little hairy.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I used to bring a hatchet and/or a 22 when I trapped. Mostly water sets so didn't need to shoot to many things.

I'm not too scared about any animals in the deep woods except a sow with cubs in the dark can get a little hairy.
yeah, I only had the gun with me when I was checking my coyote sets.