Tracking Advice

pdawley22

Reaction score
Hey guys

I've followed the site for a while now, but this is my first post. I am looking for some advice.

I shot at a deer at 120yd with a slug gun tonight. I am baffled by the seers reaction so now I'm not sure if I missed him or not. After the shot the deer ran around in a circle twice, almost acting daised (about 10yds in dia.) then ran off. He then ran maybe an 80-100yd semi circle, returning to a know bedding area. (I hunt a farm and this was in a cut corn field) I last saw him at about 200 yds walking to the bedding area.

I shot 10mins before last light and sat for a while to wait it out. I ended up backing out and will go back in the am but have been replaying it in my head.

Has anyone seen a reaction like this? How did it turn out for you

pdawley22

Reaction score
That's the plan for tomorrow am. My buddy has two beagles that chase deer better than rabbits half the time.

frontierrots

Reaction score
Rob says this happened to him one time almost exactly as you describe but at a longer distance. He shot it a second time and it anchored him but the first shot was a killing shot

pdawley22

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies..

Honestly I felt good about the shot leaving the woods and have a gut feeling it's right in the needing area (really thick brush), but now I keep second guessing it. Hopefully it will be a short track in the am