Times Past

groundtender

Reaction score
I am fairly sure that some of you remember this gentleman that, back in its heyday, ran the lodge located at 20 Mile on what used to be called The Old Boundary Rd going from Rockwood to 40 Mile (Dole Pond) and beyond. D3859FD1-3BBC-4C57-995A-D91570809BCF.jpeg

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I am too young to remember any lodge on the old boundary road, but would be curious to it’s history as I spend a fair amount of time there. That picture does look like the current pittston farm? Was he the owner before Bob and Jenny Mills maybe pre 2000? Looks familiar, but not certain. That’s what they call the northern rd now, which eventually snakes it way west to the old boundary road.

groundtender

Reaction score
I am too young to remember any lodge on the old boundary road, but would be curious to it’s history as I spend a fair amount of time there. That picture does look like the current pittston farm? Was he the owner before Bob and Jenny Mills maybe pre 2000? Looks familiar, but not certain. That’s what they call the northern rd now, which eventually snakes it way west to the old boundary road.
You are correct, he bought the Farm in the late 80’s and fixed it up. Sold it in ‘04 I think. Was always jammed all deer season, I’d guess 80% of people staying there were Vermonters. I recall quite a few from Bristol, VT area. Regarding the road name, a retired forester for Great Northern told me once that one of the few roads up there back in the 60’s was The Old Boundary Rd. It started in Rockwood and went out past Dole. As you said, it’s now called the Northern Rd until it gets to the Cutoff to the section of South Branch Rd to Gilbert’s where it leaves the SB Rd and is called the OB Rd. Pittston Farm area was referred to as 20 Mile, the town line swamp on the current OB Rd east of Little Lane was 30 Mile, and Dole was 40 Mile.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
You are correct, he bought the Farm in the late 80’s and fixed it up. Sold it in ‘04 I think. Was always jammed all deer season, I’d guess 80% of people staying there were Vermonters. I recall quite a few from Bristol, VT area. Regarding the road name, a retired forester for Great Northern told me once that one of the few roads up there back in the 60’s was The Old Boundary Rd. It started in Rockwood and went out past Dole. As you said, it’s now called the Northern Rd until it gets to the Cutoff to the section of South Branch Rd to Gilbert’s where it leaves the SB Rd and is called the OB Rd. Pittston Farm area was referred to as 20 Mile, the town line swamp on the current OB Rd east of Little Lane was 30 Mile, and Dole was 40 Mile.
Got it, makes sense. I feel like I met him a few times, and I think he may have stayed on for a bit after the new owners bought it. Bob and Jenny were from Windsor Me, and that 04 date sounds about right when they took it over. I used to go up early in the morning for breakfast with my friend several times a year. She was his piano teacher growing up. The place hasn’t been the same since their son and wife took it over. I’d be surprised if it lasted much longer to be honest. Lots of history there. I swing through the open gate there most weekends in the winter.

Last edited:

Latest posts