Timed Out Limits

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
There was a previous thread about participation on the forum. Maybe im not doing something right or not having the right setting somewhere. But I find EVERY time I type a long reply to a post , or view an article that someone posts a link to on a thread , by the time I read the article in the link , or type out a reply that may take me just a few min , I find myself timed out on the forum. When that happens I dont feel like typing it all over again. Heck I would have 100 posts easily by now , but have been timed out so many times that I dont bother trying to reply. Unless I just type out a short reply . Yet I see some posts that must of taken an hour to type posted. I have no idea how they can do that unless they are typing it somewhere else , then copying and pasting it to this forum.
The time out limit I find is less than 5 min before you are automatically logged off the site unless you are constantly jumping from page to page. That is aggravating at the very least.
All the other forums I go to the time out limit is at least 1/2 hour. Another thing on other places , if I am going to type out a long reply or start a new thread with a long post , there is an option to save the post as a draft, then go back to it and continue. I see no such thing here. Or maybe Im not finding how to do it.
I would love to participate more , but Im sick of getting logged out while typing a post after only a few min . Are there settings somewhere that Im missing ? There has to be something Im missing cause I do see some very long posts .
Thanks for the help in advance

I even got logged off typing this post that took me 4 min to type.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Hmmm.....this is a first one on me. I can't remember another member having this problem, which makes me think it might be a setting on your end. Is that a possibility?? I'm no computer wizard, but maybe someone else here has som insight. I went into your User Profile and I couldn't find anything that appeared to adjust that timeframe...ano it doesn't appear to be a general setting, as it seems to only be happening to you. Anybody have any ideas?

MBullism

Reaction score
Ive no specific help, except to say i've never encountered any limit... including walking away from typing and coming back to it quite some time later without issue :confused:

bigrak

Reaction score
Maybe try doing this.... Go to Settings, then General settings, then Misc. options.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

bigrak

Reaction score
Another solution to saving your content as you type is the " Auto -saved" feature. Highlighted in yellow, It goes on automatically after a while to save your content, only when you use the middle reply tab shown below does it work. (Located on the lower right) of the post.
It does NOT work on + Reply to Thread tab. (Lower left.)

Edit Post > Reply< Reply With Quote

Last edited:

Browseline

Reaction score
I get logged off from HC all the time, but it seems like it is only when I am typing a post or replying to something. If I am logged in, so that I can see the pictures on some of the posts, I can look around for as long as I want and HC stays logged in. I've never timed it but it seems like if I can type something and submit it in under 4 or 5 minutes I'm ok. I don't notice I've been logged out until I hit " Submit Reply", then I get a message that tells me I need to log in. I log in again and everything that I have done so far on that particular post comes back up on the screen. Then I hit "Submit Reply" and it posts what I have done.

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
I get logged off from HC all the time, but it seems like it is only when I am typing a post or replying to something. If I am logged in, so that I can see the pictures on some of the posts, I can look around for as long as I want and HC stays logged in. I've never timed it but it seems like if I can type something and submit it in under 4 or 5 minutes I'm ok. I don't notice I've been logged out until I hit " Submit Reply", then I get a message that tells me I need to log in. I log in again and everything that I have done so far on that particular post comes back up on the screen. Then I hit "Submit Reply" and it posts what I have done.
Yeah, I think I've had that happen. But as you said, just log in, and it's there. This is a tiny message, and auto save already popped up just now.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Yes, this used to happen to me all the time and would drive me crazy! I'm not exactly sure what I did to stop it but I think after I logged in or as I was logging in there is a small box under your username that you can check that's says "remember me". It took a few times doing this but now it does remember every time I go to HC and I don't get logged off anymore. Hope this helps.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I get time out all the time. Knowing that typing a long PM of post has that problem, I select all my text, copy it, refresh the page, log in, paste the text, then submit the text. Typed out like that sounds like a lot of steps but it really isn't. Control C for copying, Control V for pasting, shortens the steps.

Now that I read about the "remember me" trick I may not have the issue anymore.

badfisherman

Reaction score
It happens to me all the time. If it took me very long to type I'll COPY it before hitting the post button. If I get logged out I can just paste it right back in

bigrak

Reaction score
Checking off the "remember me" box when signing on is a must to not get logged off.
This and the "auto saved" feature should take care of your problem.

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Thanks guys . I'll put all those suggestions to good use to save on some frustrating lost work. Im glad I'm not the only one it was happening to. One thing I was doing was when getting logged off was I was going to the normal " login " spot on the top right of the page to log back in . If you go back and log in from there it doesn't save your post. You have to log back in on the bottom login window that shows up where your post was in order for the post to be saved.
There really should be a " save draft " option and a much longer timeframe than a few min to type a reply before getting logged off automatically.
Browseline , you are absolutely right when you said it happens mostly when typing out a reply than just viewing threads. It takes only about 5 min before you are logged off typing replies and maybe 15 min when sitting idle reading an article.
It is what it is so I will get used to it. And I will definately be clicking the " remember me " button every time I sign on .

Thanks guys !

Turningleaf

Reaction score
And I will definately be clicking the " remember me " button every time I sign on .

Thanks guys !
If you hit the remember me button it should automatically "keep" you logged in after you are done as long as you don't "log out". I always just minimize the page if I'm not on it on my lap top or on my iPad Safari just brings in up as if I'm already logged in. I haven't had to log in for a very ling time.