Timberframe House Build

802-603hunter

Reaction score
as someone in the building industry...... That's beautiful work. You must drink your morning coffee with a big smile as you should.
I haven’t had many mornings to relax with my coffee, but as I sit here enjoying a nightcap it seems crazy to think these timbers were out swaying in the breeze less than a year ago.

mowbizz

Reaction score
What a beautiful home and as others have said, great craftsmanship! I can relate to having a “hands on” experience with building a home as my wife and I just built our own addition to our log home. Stacking logs is nothing compare to your work but still we have the satisfaction of knowing our blood, sweat and tears are part of the building process! Again, you can be proud of your accomplishments!

Grandkid

Reaction score
Travis,
Thanks for sharing your timber home building project. It is great to see how a group of trees get turned into a timber frame home. It takes a craftsman with a special talent to turn the standing timber into a work of art. When every joint is exposed your work is right there in front of you and everyone else to see.

I noticed that you said that all the timber is installed green. Can you explain the reason behind it. I would think that with the drying out process they would move quite a bit.

I can't wait to see your game pole too!

Congratulation.

Roger-

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Travis,
Thanks for sharing your timber home building project. It is great to see how a group of trees get turned into a timber frame home. It takes a craftsman with a special talent to turn the standing timber into a work of art. When every joint is exposed your work is right there in front of you and everyone else to see.

I noticed that you said that all the timber is installed green. Can you explain the reason behind it. I would think that with the drying out process they would move quite a bit.

I can't wait to see your game pole too!

Congratulation.

Roger-
While the timbers are green they are still true (square, haven’t shrunk, no twist, etc), as they dry out those characteristics unfold. The joinery resists some of that, but they will still check and shrink creating some gaps in the fit. I have cut a few frames from seasoned wood, including my camp. It takes some extra time to compensate for the imperfections, but certainly doable. If the wood is seasoned prior to final planing/sizing it works very well. I did that for my camp addition a couple years ago. I had a thread for that build as well.

No game pole at the house. I do need to cut one for camp, the old log I used broke under the load of a buck a couple years ago. I did cut one a number of years ago for the VT camp I frequent. That’s a 26’ douglas fir 6x10 across the top.

00A74C5B-E84A-406A-9CA2-0426A5DC8EC5.jpegEF4ED26C-55FD-41AC-A889-29597F116DC7.jpeg

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice game pole. Not to hijack your thread, but seeing them hanging with the noses down reminds me of the time when the sporting camp owners dogs chewed the noses off all of the bucks. They also ate about 20 lbs of meat off the hind quarter of our moose as it hung from the head.:mad:

Grandkid

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Either way you do it....you do a wonderful job.

As for hanging the deer...I have always hung them head down. Just the way my dad did. Go with what you know.

Roger-

mowbizz

Reaction score
Gotta hang em higher...foxes and coyotes will get em otherwise....

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I have missed this post until now. I am beyond impressed. I am sitting here and looking at each photo and thinking about the work that occurred. That is a hell of an accomplishment - thanks for posting.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Do you have any "finished" pictures of the inside and outside?
My wife took some pictures of the inside over the last couple weeks. The outside finish pictures won't be ready until we have a handful of weeks full of warmer weather, but here are some inside pictures. I'll call them quasi-finished pictures, the discerning eye will pick up on a few odds and ends that have yet to be completed. I have whittled the inside work down to closet & pantry fit-up along with some built-ins in the mudroom and livingroom.
IMG_8105.JPG

IMG_8102.JPG

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8104.JPG

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I built my son what he refers to as his "tree stand" in his room above his closet. I planed the material all out of the rough-cut boards we made sawing out timbers. With a year of air drying I am hopeful the shrinkage will be minimal.

Before and after the ladder install:
IMG_8095.jpg
You can see he already applied the camo netting to the railing so as to not be seen.
IMG_8098.jpg

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I built my son what he refers to as his "tree stand" in his room above his closet. I planed the material all out of the rough-cut boards we made sawing out timbers. With a year of air drying I am hopeful the shrinkage will be minimal.

Before and after the ladder install:
View attachment 23297
You can see he already applied the camo netting to the railing so as to not be seen.
View attachment 23298
Well of course he didn't want to be seen ! Look at all the deer tracks on the floor going past the stand ! :)

Last edited:

silver belly62

Reaction score
Awesome house, congrats ! Thanks for taking the time to post this and take us through the process, great to read. Like that game pole !!