Timberframe House Build

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Based on the interest in another thread I put together these photos and descriptions of our house building project. Little back story, I am from northern VT and my wife is from central VT. We had always planned to build on her family land and as circumstances would have it this last year was the year we got started. Her father is as handy a fella as you'll find when it comes to equipment, working in the woods, improvising, etc. He has plenty of old equipment around to use including tractors, farmi winches, a Timberjack 235 skidder, a circa 1920's Chase circular sawmill, the list goes on. Sometimes we need to pause to fix some parts and pieces, but in the end they always continue to plug away.

First things first we build a garage on the slab that was on the building lot. We skidded out a handful of blown down and standing dead hemlock and ran them through the mill for the wall framing. I bought attic trusses for the roof to help with our short term storage. This would act as our shop for the house build. Luckily the trusses showed up in time to get it dried in before the 2018 deer seasons kicked off, but just barely.
IMG_0000.JPG

My father-in-law knew the old wood burning furnace that was across the road in what used to be his grandmothers house was still there and hadn't been used in decades. The current owners were happy to have us rig it out and put it back into service. After some welding repairs by my father-in-law and some ductwork installation by my father we had it up and running to heat the shop.

IMG_0001.jpg

In January we turned to sawing out some pine boards from some logs off the lot and some others my father-in-law took out on a tree removal job. We sawed these early to give them some extra time to air dry before heading to a kiln up the valley. These would be the V-groove ceilings for the house.
IMG_0002c.JPG

Last edited:

802-603hunter

Reaction score
In February we headed up into the woods with a list of timbers we would need. Some days we used the tractor and winch, others we coupled that with the Timberjack depending on what section we were working and the size trees we were after. I didn't pack a camera into the wood most days but managed a couple pictures.

This tree with the ribbon would be one of our longest timbers needed, an 8x10x24, and probably a 6x9x18 out of the top. This was a nice stand, you can see we've already skidded a few logs out at the time this picture was taken.
IMG_0003b.jpg

Jonsered 670 Champ for reference on another log out of the same stand.
IMG_0004c.JPG

Whoever named it Hemlock missed the mark, could have been more aptly named Limblock. 64' on this particular tree before sectioning it up. The smaller tops would be sawn into 4x6's for kneebraces.
IMG_0005c.JPG

My boy visited for an afternoon, so I crafted him a stump seat. He loved seeing all the deer in the woods munching up the tops. At the most I think we had at least thirty deer hanging around. Might have drew a bead on a few.
IMG_0006b.JPG

802-603hunter

Reaction score
We finished up logging by the end of February just before the snow got too packy, and were sawing logs in March.
IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091b.JPG

International power unit for the mill. We had to get the main power shaft machined and fixed up. Downstream of this photo and seen a little in the one above is a series of pulleys that provide power to ancillary items like the sawdust chute. All custom made by my father-in-law from parts off corn choppers and the like.
IMG_0092.JPG

802-603hunter

Reaction score
IMG_0104.JPG

We weren't set-up to saw the longest timbers I would need so we shipped those off to a local bandsaw mill who could process the 24' logs.
IMG_0110.jpg

I trucked the rough sawn timbers to a timberframe shop in Groton VT who has their own timber sizer, which planes and squares up the timbers in one pass. Once they came back I commenced to cutting the joinery.
IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

Last edited:

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Floor framing with timberframed center beam system.
IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

Assembling the main bents for the house in advance of the cranes arrival.
IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I thought I had a more recent exterior picture but I guess not. The roofing is on and most of the exterior trim, siding will wait until spring.

IMG_0926a.JPG

We are moved in, although not entirely complete. Most interior work is complete with the exception of some window and door trim and interior doors. I'll have to get some more recent photos at some point. I pulled all of the above from a shared album my wife created but hasn't kept completely up to date.

My sons room including the wall decalls he picked out.
IMG_1179.JPG

That's all for now, I'll try to dig up some more recent pictures at some point. Hopefully the picture quality didn't suffer too bad with all of the resizing.

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
Wow! What a great project. It looks like much care and attention to detail has gone into that build.
Well done.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Absolutely Incredible ! What a terrific write up !
From cutting the trees to sizing and milling the beams , to every precision attention to detail notch !
That is a workworking masterpiece that very few people have the skill to do.
Incredible job !

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow. That's crazy that you know how to do all of that! Some great craftsmanship, hard work and ingenuity went into that construction. Outstanding. Looks absolutely beautiful. Looking forward to the finished pictures.

Latest posts