Ticks

Zach

Reaction score
I’m around Sebago Lake and I’ve had at least half a dozen on me that I’ve seen every time I’ve been out so far. Are they bad state wide this year? Yesterday I put everything in the washer as soon as I got home then to the dryer for this morning. I went to get them and one was crawling out of the door.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
We've pulled over 30 off our coon cat in the last month and a half...noticed a couple on my pants recently. Nasty little bastards.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I had a work trip down to RI this summer and picked up a tick that gave me anaplasmosis. (Don't bother looking it up, just know that you do NOT want it) Anyway - I've done a ton of research on the little bastards and I'll make these simple recommendations to everyone:

1. They never hibernate. They will go dormant under a temperature threshold that is different depending on their environment. Meaning, if they're in a tight bramble of invasives, they'll be active down into the 30's, especially if the sun is shining on them.
2. Permethrin works really well. Spray it on your boots and pants. Its not perfect, but it will definitely reduce what you see on you.
3. If you're feeling "off", don't delay it. The longer these tick born illnesses fester in you, the bigger issues people tend to have. Go talk to the doc - they'll probably put you on 2 weeks of AB's that will make you think you have dysentery instead of Lyme, but its worth it.

JJM6

Reaction score
Yup, in the woods this morning in southern New Hampshire. Flicked no less than a dozen of off me in a 4hr sit. Worst news is I worked yesterday and had two big does on cam 20 ft in front of my stand at 4:00.

hammertime

Reaction score
I was the only one in camp that didn't have a tick on me. Then again I was the only one who sprayed my clothes with permethrin. That was in zone 15. Not as many up in zone 7.

MGK

Reaction score
Worst I’ve ever seen here. Monday I sat on a stump for the last 1.5hrs of the day and pulled over 20 off me while sitting there. Tuesday after dragging my deer out I pulled off another dozen

Zach

Reaction score
I was the only one in camp that didn't have a tick on me. Then again I was the only one who sprayed my clothes with permethrin. That was in zone 15. Not as many up in zone 7.
any issues with the scent of permethrin?

groundtender

Reaction score
Never tried this, but an artist friend told me she sprays premethrin on the ground in the immediate area where she has here easel set up

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
any issues with the scent of permethrin?
Yes. I believe it’s oil based and has a slight kerosene smell even as it says it’s scent free. I used it this year on all my clothing to prevent the chigger bites up north in the swale grass and raspberry patches. I haven’t had a tick or chigger on me, but my clothing stinks a bit. I can smell it even though I air dried my stuff for a week and put it in a plastic tote with cedar kindling. Not impressed.

Reaction score
I’m around Sebago Lake and I’ve had at least half a dozen on me that I’ve seen every time I’ve been out so far. Are they bad state wide this year? Yesterday I put everything in the washer as soon as I got home then to the dryer for this morning. I went to get them and one was crawling out of the door.
Do you use Permithrin on your clothing?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Yes. I believe it’s oil based and has a slight kerosene smell even as it says it’s scent free. I used it this year on all my clothing to prevent the chigger bites up north in the swale grass and raspberry patches. I haven’t had a tick or chigger on me, but my clothing stinks a bit. I can smell it even though I air dried my stuff for a week and put it in a plastic tote with cedar kindling. Not impressed.
Yeah, I agree with KC, I can smell it a little. But, even if I couldn't smell it, I'd assume its not "scent free". The deer would absolutely smell it, just like they smell everything they're downwind of.

Snowed

Reaction score
I had a work trip down to RI this summer and picked up a tick that gave me anaplasmosis. (Don't bother looking it up, just know that you do NOT want it) Anyway - I've done a ton of research on the little bastards and I'll make these simple recommendations to everyone:

1. They never hibernate. They will go dormant under a temperature threshold that is different depending on their environment. Meaning, if they're in a tight bramble of invasives, they'll be active down into the 30's, especially if the sun is shining on them.
2. Permethrin works really well. Spray it on your boots and pants. Its not perfect, but it will definitely reduce what you see on you.
3. If you're feeling "off", don't delay it. The longer these tick born illnesses fester in you, the bigger issues people tend to have. Go talk to the doc - they'll probably put you on 2 weeks of AB's that will make you think you have dysentery instead of Lyme, but its worth it.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Unfortunately I think they’re here to stay. It’s something that we’ll all have to get used to if we want to continue to enjoy the outdoors.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Yes, it does smell, but it does work. Trade off I guess. They almost die on contact with the clothing, or at least it appears that way. You can flick them right off.

hammertime

Reaction score
I never noticed an odor to it. But then again, I've been told I don't have the best sniffer

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I killed 30 deer ticks on me on Saturday. The most I’ve ever had on me. I’ve never seen that many of the deer ticks. I hadn’t seen one on me since May. I hate them.

Latest posts